how do you do piece work?

I am working on a great afghan from Leisure Arts (Color-Bright Creatures, 8 Awesome Animal Afghans) that is worked in granny squares (well, they are really hexigons) and then pieced together. It got me thinking how others on this board work piece work and your reason why?

When I do piece work, I work from top to bottom, and make one piece at a time and then connect it. I feel this helps me see the progress and keeps me excited about making the same piece over and over. I was wondering if anyone makes all the pieces and then connects them, or if you use any other method?

No, I\ make all the squares and then hunker down to sew them all together. I like seeing those piles of little squares build up...then the strips of them sewn together...then the full afghan. I have learned to weave in my ends as I go, however. The first time I made a granny square afghan I saved all the weaving until I'd made all the squares. That was a mistake!!!

Whatever makes you happy is the right way to do it!

i have to agree with artemis. if you make all the squares first, it is so important not to leave the ends and to weave them as you go. i made the same mistake as artemis and almost quit the project when i saw all those ends hanging. luckily my grandmother saved me and volunteered to help me.

I also make all my pieces first, and then join them...usually with a single crochet-holding the wrong sides of two pieces together....anyway by having all the pieces loose at the end I can move things around and plan it out before I join them together....this would be a good way to make a scrape afghan with many different colors, but like Artemis said...whatever works best for you!

I've just started my first granny square project for my daughter. The squares will be in five to six different colors. Since this is my first afghan I have decided to complete all the squares in one color category before I go on to the next color. I may do five to ten squares before I weave in the ends, and then do another set of five to ten, etc. Once all the squares are done, I will have to decide which technique to use to connect the squares together to complete the afghan. In the meantime I have been keeping my completed squares in ziplock bags for safe keeping.:)

Desireé

Whenever I've done piecework I do all the pieces first, then lay them out and play around with the design. That way I can change my mind--over and over--about how I want the design to lay out. Sometimes I find a better combination this way than what I had originally planned for the pieces.

For me it depends on how big the project is and if I need the motivation to keep plugging away at the squares! For the most part I will finish up all of the squares, single crochet them together via vertical strips, and then single crocheting the vertical strips together and trimming it! I have a little trademark where I make little bows on my afghans as well!

Now if I'm struggling with moving along and need the inspiration, I will finish the squares I need for a strip and piece them together right away. I will set them aside, doing the same for each. Then I will piece all of the strips together and trim in one sitting!

Afghans are my favorite things to make, and the basic granny square is my favorite pattern (probably because it's what I learned first and because they can be made SO easily and without looking)! :manyheart

I have decided to complete all the squares in one color category before I go on to the next color. I have been keeping my completed squares in ziplock bags for safe keeping.

Yes, Desiree, that's exactly what I do, too!

If I'm going on a car ride with my husband I'll pack one color yarn and my ziplock bag. I'll make a zillion squares of that one color. Another day I'll work on another color.

LavenderBear, I agree, making granny square afghans is a joy. I have a cute little baby afghan I make ("Gingham Checks" from Leisure Arts Our Best Baby Afghans). It works up so nicely and makes a great baby shower gift.

I tend to make a ton of squares... then never join them. :P Probably my least favorite activity. As a result I now avoid piecework patterns... I love the way they look, but I'd much rather finish everything in one "go". If I want something portable--doilies! Bwahaha ^_^

the last time i made a "piece" project was the scrap-ghan i made for my uncle...and i had to make all the pieces first and then sew them together the way it was said in the pattern that i used....most of the time i piece the thing together as soon as i make 2...:)

• 4 weeks later...

I have to make all the squares first. I typically make them and then layer the squares according to their order with post-its to mark the beginning of a new row. They don't stay on well, but they stay between the squares so I see where to begin the new row.

Artemis, don't worry. I made the same mistake on my first Granny square afghan!

I always join as I go, to avoid going mad while joining up a whole pile of squares later. Also, I never sew, but crochet them together, making the join integral to the design. (I recommend Priscilla's flat braid joining method). It is lovely to see the object taking shape, and very encouraging, rather than a heap of squares lying in a bag somewhere.

Archived