something nice to make

My friend has just got rid of her boyfriend who was mentaly cruel to her and has destroyed her self esteme. She has her friends round her to support her and give her love and help her build her self confidence back up to where it once was.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest something easy she could make when I show her how to crochet. I did teach her how to knit but her ex told her she was useless at it. so she didnt continue.

So i was thinking if she could make something simple and easy so that when she feels stressed and she starts thinking about him and feeling sad she will have something to concentrate on. and being able to finish something to be proud of. I have the wool and the hooks so no problem there. but any ideas out there? Thanks in advance Sian xxxx

Hi Sian

How about a little scented pillow she could use on her bed or just as a comfort pillow whenever she feels stressed or sad? It would be something nice for herself, which it sounds like she richly deserves after such an awful experience.

It only needs to be two squares (pieces really: doesn't matter if they're not square :lol ) in any stitch, however simple. Then a little inner bag of tulle or net stuffed with fiberfil and a little essential oil in her favourite scent, or some real lavender or potpourri. Because you're seaming it, it wouldn't matter if the edges are a bit ragged, and if the fabric's a bit loose or holey all to the good; the scent will just come through even more! She could pretty it up with ribbon etc. or even add a nice edging later as she gains confidence in her crochet.

What do you think?

What a lovely idea, Nowl! I think I'll use that myself if you don't mind. It would make a nice hostess gift too.

A shawl or afghan would also be nice. Something with a nice repetitive pattern so it's easy for a beginner. Then when it's finished she will have something cozy and comforting to wrap herself in. :hug

personally i am assuming she is young and i always feel the most proud of myself when i mkae a wearable, if she is just starting maybe a scarf, hat, gloves set or a pretty shawl would be nice. i kind of think when i wear something and people cant believe i made it it boosts my confidence in how my things look and my talent for thread craft. just my 2 cents

Crochet can be such a great stress relief, something to keep the mind from thinking too much (if you know what I mean). It also keeps your hands busy if you are a stress eater, you can't eat if your hands are in motion.

A skinny scarf, one with just five or six stitches, a really big hook and some really pretty yarn. You need to pick something that grows quickly.

I dated a guy just like that when I was younger and vulnerable.:oops I'd like to crochet him a noose :devil but he's not worth the yarn. :slingshot

I'm glad she's away from him now. Maybe a cuddly shawl made of soft, warm yarn would be good. This is an easy and quick one to make and it's really great done in Homespun or Jiffy. It's all hdcs and it's even easier (and in my opinion nicer looking) if you do all the sts between the stitches instead of into them. Here is another one rated as a beginner pattern. Or she could do a giant granny square afghan. The 4 1/2 hour Homespun afghan is rated as beginner. This is a nice beginner afghan pattern, made in Wool Ease. Or, how about a pillow or bath accessories?

Here's my humble opinion......if she is new to crochet, I would pick a simple and short project for her to work up.....like a simple dishcloth (in sc or dc), a scarf or a straight shawl (long oblong)....because beginners need to feel a sense of accomplishment right away. If the project takes too long to do, or there are too many different stitches in it, she may get frustrated and give up on it. She needs to rebuild her confidence....so that when she finishes one item, she will be eager to learn more and tackle another project. Sometimes beginners are impatient to learn too much too quickly.....and then become overwhelmed. I'd take it slow and easy at first. When she does finish her first project....she is going to feel so much better and her self esteem will be wonderfully boosted.

You have given me some great ideas here. Thankyou so much I think i will start her on the scented pillow and then move onto the bath items and dishcloths. Then I think by then she will be hopelessly addicted and then she will be able to make herself a shawl or a blanket. Thankyou so much. last night see was starting to hate him so i think she well onto the place where she would like to crochet a noose lol. xxx I will let her have a look round my wool stash lol and see if she fancies anything. xxxhugsxxx Sian xxx

We went wool shopping yesterday, I showed her the difference between double knit aran and chunky she liked the look of the super chunky but it was about £3.70 for 100g she decided on black and a multi purple double knit to make a cushion she even bought the insert.

when we got back we went out into the back yard and she learned how to crochet. It was great to see her go from going "grrrr" to "yes i did it!" I will be seeing her on friday and we will meet up to see how she is getting on.

I will post a pic of the finished item when we get there.

Thankyou all lots of love Sian xxx

As soon as she's comfortable with a simple stitch or two, show her how to make something for someone less fortunate. A washcloth for someone in a shelter or nursing home, a small afghan for a needy baby. You'll be amazed how she blossoms once she realizes she can do something for others. She'll feel better about herself, someone else will be helped, and you'll have made it possible.

Archived