yarn money....what to buy

Ok lets say your yarn hating bf gave you a pressie of 200.00 and said he didnt care what you bought. If you had these paramiters, what would you buy?

1.. you had a desire to learn to felt

2. you wanted to make some of the cotton summer sweater everyone seems to be making

3. you ar a semi rookie

4. would like to try some of the hand dyed yarns out there

5. you might want a Jimbo, or other hand carved hook

If you were going to spend it all at once, and try to get the best deal, whhat yarn shop would you look at? I look forward to all the smart unique responses!!

Laura

http://www.knitting-warehouse.com/company.html for yarn and accessories at dirt cheap prices and FLAT RATE SHIPPING 5.99 (which if you buy in bulk it is all about the one easy rate)

check ebay for some custom hooks too, if you have your heart set on a jimbo well i suppose there are no substitutions, but there is another ville member that sells wooden carved hooks. http://search.stores.ebay.com/dodos-design_W0QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsatitleZdodoQ27sQ20designQQsbrexpZWD1SQQsifZ1QQsofpZ4QQssPageNameZWD1S

my personal suggestion for something extra is "cool crochet" book, very pretty patterns and it is availible on http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1135284 as well as plenty of other crochet books, again... flat rate shipping 2.95

good luck and score on the 200 dollar gift, i could only wish

I would go to a finer yarn store and spend the entire $200.00 in one shot. I love looking and feeling all the different textures and colors and seeing what I am buying. :cheer

Have fun whatever you do.

If you're wanting to felt, you're going to need wool. And if you want to get more bang for your buck in that wool purchase, I'd recommend Knitpicks, which has very nice wool yarns. Great prices and fast shipping, too.

Lucky you! Have fun whatever you decide to do.

If you want to try some of the hand dyed yarns, Lorna's Laces, Koigu, or various yarns from Fleece Artists or from Art Yarns would be nice. If you want to try hand dyed for felting, Malabrigo is both affordable (comparatively) and very beautiful and I'm told it felts well (but if made into a sweater pills easily).

I would go to a finer yarn shop, too, and get plenty of stuff I wouldn't otherwise be able to try.

Have fun.

I would start with Reynold's LOPI yarn for felting...it is 100% wool and comes in wonderful colors!! I would go on to spend it on cotton/(fancy material) blends for your summer "do's" and also look for some pattern books with cool stuff for beginners (or impatient people like me:)) Finally, I would buy a plastic tub big enough to stash it all so you can hide it in the attic before your BF has a fit;)

Happy Hooking :hook

"The only difference between myself and a madman...I'm NOT MAD"--Salvador Dali

If I get such a present I would buy something that stays for a long time. In my special case it would be a set of different colored aluminium hooks in a case and one very special hook (for example one of these great handcrafted hooks I saw in another thread) - sounds maybe funny for you, but it is impossible to get these aluminium hooks in Austria.

Yarn is - in my case - a thing I like, but it doesn't stay. I work it up and then it's gone. I prefer to buy this with my own money, not with gift money (for a gift I want something to have longer)

Archived