Butterfly Wing Shawl

HollyM

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW AM I GLAD I FOUND THIS POST!!

I was making my mother a seraphina shawl for mother's day---had it almost finished-or I thought so anyway- got to looking at it (to admire my work of course) and OH MY GOODNESS!! I don't know what I did wrong but it ws WAY WRONG! So I froged it---Well I thought I would give it another try because I love the pattern and I hate to let a project go without trying a zillion times(stuborn) but I only have 1 week left till mother's day. I can't afford to mess up again. So to make a shot story long -- I came to the 'ville for inspriation and found this beautiful butterfly shawl! It is soooooooooo beautiful and so easy -- I have the sawl about a third done already and it is turning out great!! My mom will love it!!

This pattern has so many color combo possablites!!

Thanks so much for sharing this pattern! Once again the artists of crochetville have saved my bacon!!:clap:cheer :cheer :cheer:yay :yay :yay:clap :clap :clap

This is absolutely beautiful:yay

I have some simply soft in brown and some rh symphony in purple that are calling out to this pattern! Hmmmm, what hook would I use for it to drape nicely with these two yarns held together? :think They are both 4's so I will need to check this one out.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi, I can not seem to find the pictures...I have tried viewing them on the very first thread like you said..but came up nothing..this is the first thread am I right? If not can please send a photo at this address:

jinky.flaviano@gmail.com..

thanks!

I put pictures of this up under projects.

Butterfly Wing Shawl

Any yarn w/ appropriate sized hook

Shell = DC-ch1-DC-ch1-DC

You will be working from the top center of the shawl out.

Ch 8, slip stitch to end chain to form a circle.

Row 1- all stitches worked into circle, working over loose end of yarn.

Chain 4, DC, SC, *DC-ch1-DC-ch1-DC* ch 2, repeat* to *, SC, DC, ch 1 DC

Turn

Row 2

Ch 4, DC into first DC, SC into next DC, Shell (DC-ch1-DC-ch1-DC) into Sc,

SC into middle DC of shell from row 1,

*Shell-ch2-Shell* in ch 2 space

SC into middle DC of shell from row 1, shell in sc, SC in last DC

Dc-ch1-DC in 3rd ch of turning ch.

Turn

Row 3 & beyond

Ch 4, DC into first DC, SC into next DC

Shell (DC-ch1-DC-ch1-DC) into next Sc, SC into middle DC of shell from previous row

Repeat until you get to the ch 2 space at bottom point

*Shell-ch2-Shell* in ch 2 space

SC into middle DC of shell from previous row, shell in next sc

Repeat until you get to the half shell at the top point.

SC in last DC

Dc-ch1-DC in 3rd ch of turning ch.

Turn

Continue with row 3 pattern until shawl is the size you’d like it to be.

The important things to remember are that at the top points, you are creating only half a shell. The bottom point will always have the shell-ch2-shell repeat in the previous ch 2 space.

The top of this shawl curves up slightly, making it fit nicely around your neck and shoulders.

This will work with any yarn, use the appropriate sized hook for the yarn you choose. Try a chunky yarn with a large hook for a warm snuggly shawl, or a sport/lace weight yarn with a J hook for an airy, summery shawl

Copyright Holly Miller 2005

personal use only, don't reprint w/out permission, all that good stuff

Marilynn07, I'd love to know your modifications. I'm nearly finished one in Patons Bohemian (it's WARM, but I love it) and it's definitely long. I'm 5'9", so it's not TOO long, but close. I love the way the shawl shapes everywhere else, so an idea of how to shorten up the next one would be great!

Thanks,

Heather

• 3 weeks later...

THANK U HollyM, this lil black duck will most definitely B makin this once she sorts out which colours 2 use.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived