Helping Kids with Cancer and at Pine Ridge

walker1021

If any of you have ever wanted to use your crochet to make items for charity, please check out Crafting for a Cause

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftingForACause/?yguid=230243326

This group is the best I have found:cheer . Not only can you donate items for cancer patients as they get their treatment:c9 (shawls, afghans, etc), but they also help out the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in SD:manyheart .

Please check out this group and see if you would feel at home with us. We would love to have you join us.:yay

Jana

I would just like to say that this is the best group that I belong to. Everyone is so friendly and we all work towards the same thing - helping others in their time of need. At the same time, we get to do our crafts. The Special Angels are a wonderful group of "kids" who work very hard to help out others and Pamela is wonderful as well. Please, take a look and join us. I promise you will be welcomed with open arms :2hug and with a smile :) on everyone's faces.

I love this group!! I can craft for happiness for myself and for others. There is always something new and fun going on :yes . It also helps keep me semi-organized with my projects (they have monthly projects that you can follow along with). This way I actually finish things and mail them out......eventually :lol

List mom Lynn is filling her SUV to take things to UC Davis for the children and teens with cancer is June 15th - if you have shawls. lapghans, fleece blankets, beanie babies, new children's books, and so on please think about putting a smile on the faces of these children - write now my family is making fleece blankets the ones you tie to send to both UC Davis and to Pine Ridge - we can really use you - even if all you can do is one item every 3-4 months you will have changed the lives of 4 families a year - so unbelievable - We have quilters, sewers, crocheteres, knitters, beaders, woodworkers, any thing any way that you would like to gift is a blessing - Wild Kitty

or something that I can make on a sew easy knitting machine? Rosa

Yes Rosa,

Scarves, hats, mittens, blankets, they can use them all. It gets very cold there.

or something that I can make on a sew easy knitting machine? Rosa

Rosa - They would love to have a scarf made by you. That would be wonderful! Thanks for thinking of the kids.

Jana

Mira just told me that she currently has over 30 elders waiting to be sponsored - just someone to write to them and crochet them a little something - she said the oldest was born in 1918- as you can imagine with life on the reservation that is very very old! If you have a little extra time why not be a sponsor there is only the commitment to try to write monthly and to send a little something - a box of tea a scarf that you crochet anything you feel like - I am sponsoring two elders and it is such a pleasure when I am able to talk with them by phone - which is not easy as neither has telephones but we were able after a year of writing to figure out a way = thank you Mira for doing this

wildkitty

There are LOTS of elders waiting for sponsors as well! Another elder just sent me a list of over 30 names!! Some of the elders waiting for a sponsor (and the year they were born) are Max (1927), Ramona (1923), Florine (1930), Carl (1933), Virginia (1933), and Bertha (1942). And there are a lot more! We have grandmas, grandpas, couples, some raising kids, some disabled, crafters, etc.

I've seen so many lonely elderly people in the world...and so many facing hardships those of us half their age would hate to deal with. This is such a wonderful opportunity to bring a smile to their faces, to brighten their day and to relieve a bit of the load they carry.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, sign me up for an elder. I'm kind of shy on the phone, but I can write a letter and crochet something now and then. Would that help?? Do I have to go to the yahoo group or do I sign up here?

I am so glad that you would like to pair up with an elder.:cheer You will need to sign up at the link listed in the first posting. From there, the project leader will be able to "hook" you up. Thanks so much! :clap Look forward to seeing you in the Crafting for a Cause group.:hug

Jana

• 2 weeks later...

Liz, we'd love to have you join us and get you signed up with an elder! I have 16 waiting now and several more I need to call to get their addresses! It doesn't cost much and takes a minimal amount of time. Just a small package once a month. Some months I make discloths, a couple cute magnets, a candle or some lotion...never costs me more than maybe $5 and shipping.

I lost my grandparents back when I was a teenager. This helps me reconnect with them in that I am bringing the smile to the face of another elder.

• 3 weeks later...

The delivery to UC Davis went well. :yay :yay The nurses were so happy with all the afghans, nascar blankets, comfort shawls. finger puppets, beanie babies, and so many other things from our awesome members! Please come and join us if you care about helping kids with cancer feel cared about:yes

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, Just wanted to post and share about the Pediatric infusion center at UC Davis Medical center in Sacramento CA.

My Son was treated there when he was 16. Steven was diganosed with hodgkins lymphoma. He was a very very sick young man. Thanks to lots of prayer and the wonderful team of nurses and doctors my son is alive and doing very well. He just turned 20 last week:yay :yay

Crafting for a cause donates crocheted and knitted comfort shawls for the Moms and girls at UCD, afghans for the children and teens, crocheted animals and animal pillows and many other items.

If any of you would be interested in helping this cause please feel welcome to come join us.:manyheart

Lynn- I didn't know that about your son. My stepdad has Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. (What's the difference?) My stepdad had chemo for a while but never finished it as it was making him throw up so much, he couldn't function so he stopped doing the chemo. Everyone said to keep doing it, but he wouldn't.... :( He even went to Chicago for a 'milder' chemo that was a longer treatment but less harsh than regular chemo, and still was so sick that he stopped.

I am glad your son is doing better now. :manyheart

Tina

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a blanket drive going on now to send to the babies on Pine Ridge. Our goal is to have 100 blankets sent by year end. Last I checked, we were over 20!! We would love to have you help. See the original post for our website. Thanks so much!

Jana

• 2 months later...

UPDATE*** - A delivery was made to the infusion center early in December. Several afghans, shawls and treasure bags were delivered to be distributed to the kids while they are undergoing their treatments.

We are also making items to send to Pine Ridge - especially with cold upon them now.

Our newest charity for Crafting for a Cause is making colorful afghans/lapghans for a trauma center in NJ. Please come check us out. We would love to have you join us! Even just one donation will make someone else's life so much brighter.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftingForACause/?yguid=230243326

Archived