Lions and Tigers and ANOTHER Fugly Yarn

Guest Catlizg

Guest Catlizg

Gosh, you think I'd learn my lesson after reading all the posts about populating fugly yarns that require a tire iron, chain-mail gloves and arms of steel to crochet! But nope, not me, gotta do things the hard way. My DD begged me to make her something out of hemp, 100% hemp, no substitution acceptable, no blends, just plain ol' boring hemp. OK - off to E-bay. Now I did see the seller also sold that lovely silk that was swept off the floor to make the fugly yarn, but figured $3 for a ball of hemp, what the heck? :blush

It came today. I supposed I should have been warned by the package that said "Do not get wet, do not put near food, do not crush, spindle, fold, mutilate or OPEN." Nope, once again, had to do it my way. I am now the proud owner of a ball of hemp that is the size of #10 thread, is rather brittle with very little flexibility and has all these little "things" sticking out all over. And, oh yes, the best part - it's the color of.....hemp. It is accompanied by a lovely collar, er, label, that says "Natural Hemp - Handmade in Nepal." Lucky me.

So what to make out of this stuff, I'm sitting here wondering? It does have a rather catnippish odor to it so maybe I'll just give the damn thing to the cat. Oh no, can't do that - Frankie might be considered a food source. Maybe I could put it in the backyard to keep the moles away.

i bought some hemp twine at wal mart (which is what it sounds like you got) for about $2...wound it around a chair into a hank and washed it twice. made it pretty soft, and somewhat thicker. i generally use hemp for bags or belts or jewlery

yeah, my fugly yarn came from Nepal too - guess they have the market cornered on BAD FIBERS!

This stuff sounds horrible - I'm picturing attempting to crochet with the itchy stuff we used to make macrame plant hangers with in the '70s. I honestly cannot imagine crocheting with the stuff! It's not pliable, it will shed as you pull it through - you'll probably end up with a rash by the time your done...

Maybe your lovely daughter would like to learn to crochet with hemp!:devil

TThey used to make rope with hemp. People thought you could get high smoking it, maybe thats why it smells like catnip (cats equivalent of pot). Someplaces outlawed hemp ropes for that reason. Hemp is great for macrame belts, braclets, plant hanggers, etc. Good luck.

Hemp is great for macrame belts, braclets, plant hanggers, etc. Good luck.

I notice you didn't mention crochet among the things hemp is good for!:blush

When I think hemp, I still think those ugly plant hangers we made in the '70s and itchy doormats.

I still think this would be a wonderful time for your DAUGHTER to learn to crochet:devil

I still think this would be a wonderful time for your DAUGHTER to learn to crochet

ROFL that is what I was thinking. I have used hemp for bracelets with scouts before and just remember to WEAR GLOVES when you ise the 'el naturel stuff cause those little sticky thinies DO get in your hands like splinters. UGH! Nikki

Guest Catlizg

Maybe your lovely daughter would like to learn to crochet with hemp!:devil

LOL - Maybe my dam...er, lovely daughter, should learn to crochet!!! Tried teaching her how to make a square with single crochet. She made a very useful triangle! Somehow she figured out how to decrease evenly, but has absolutely, positively no interest in taking it further. Maybe I'll use the hemp to make her some triangles; there you go - perfect use for fugly yarn - useless triangles.

I was at Wal-mart a couple nights ago, looking for supplies for the accessory swap and I momentarily thought to use hemp, until I remembered this post! LoL

Archived