Dyeing questions.

Ga_Rebel

What all can you use to dye yarn? Whats the procedure? Can you use any yarn such as cotton yarn? I am asking because at our local Wal-Mart they never have the colors I want for making dish clothes and I fingure I can just get some food coloring or kool-aide and dye it my self but I don't know the procedure. Can someone give me some pointers.

Cotton yarn has to be dyed with commercial dyes like Rit Fabric Dye. It won't work with drink mix or food coloring because it is a plant fiber not animal like wool. I have dyed cotton (once) on the stove with Rit and it came out ok. Be sure to 'set' the color as directed. I used salt.

Kool Ade doesn't dye cotton permanetly but it dyes wool or other PROTEIN fibers, like hair, skin (well, until the skin cells wear out and are replaced). Anyway; use the Rit if your material is cotton. Then, for fun with kool aid; get some wool and see how addicting dyeing with drink mix can be.

I am asking because at our local Wal-Mart they never have the colors I want for making dish clothes and I fingure I can just dye it my self.

:irk I feel your pain...I was actually considering it myself last week! I have a pattern to make some lovely cotton gingham placemats, but I can't find the blues I need! Grrrrrr...

Archived