A purse handle tip

Ok I have to admit when I read this I thought WHAT:eek But when I tried it I thought WOW:eek

You take a coffee can lid and cut out the center then you simply crochet around the ring and there you have a custome made matching handle for pretty cheep if you ask my opinion!

I have found that coffee can lids can be bendy but they do work. So does large margarine tub lids(same idea)( you can use lid, and the top round of the container) macrame hoops, embrodiery hoops(pry off the screw parts if necessary) I've probably used anything that is round and a few ovals for purse handles. card board can work also.....several layers with no printing showing .Make your purse so the handles can be taken off. The easiest way for this is to use a different color yarn to sew a flap over the handle which has been covered in the same color as your purse. The attaching yarn does not have to be drastically different just enough to notice. I use the centers of plastic lids to make the rings for the trivets that used to be made over canning jar rings. make sure you edges are "clean",,,,no sharp points or jagged edges and DO NOT use good scissors. I use dollar store scissors and throw them away when they are no longer sharp

• 1 month later...

Now that is a lot of good advice about purse handles....this certainly deserves a :bump to get back up to the front of the list where more people will see it!

Mimicat did this with one of her purses, I remember. It was on her blog. I always wanted to try (being the frugal person I am- ahem, sometimes...) but still haven't... Nowadays all the coffee lids are different, too. Unless you get certain kinds, I guess.

Tina

I saw handles made like this on a pattern in Vogue's Knitting On The Go: Crochet Bags. There is a beautiful purse that is made in layers (looks like layers of lace with beads on the points). The handles are made out of coffee lids.

Archived