Do you enter any fairs?

:c9

I'be entered crocheted collars in our county fair, a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. I still have one of the collars, it didn't get a blue ribbon but it's my personal favorite.

Maryanne

• 8 months later...

Last year was my first time entering items into our state fair. Of the four things I entered, I won 2nd place ribbons for two of them. I was so proud and can't wait to enter again this year. It's so much fun especially going to see what others have entered.

This post has got me interested.....I just checked out the entry form for a local fair. What would crochet be considered?

Needlework

Craft & Hobby

Fine Arts

Probably Needlework, I would think. At least at our fair, Knitting, crochet, tatting and other things are all needlework.

Good luck at the fair. I don't think I will do as much as I did last year.

Maybe just a Christening gown and an afghan. We'll see.

:manyheart

I entered the Antelope Valley Fair and Alfalfa Festival way back when I was in high school with a filet-crochet curtain that I was extremely proud of. It won 2nd place and now my step-mom hangs the ribbon I won on the edge of the curtain holder that the crochet work hangs on.

This year (we have been away from the AV for awhile.) I entered a crocheted hat with a flower, and a sweater made from a Jane Snedden Peever pattern (More Crochet Aran Sweaters the pattern called Garden Gate). I won a first place for the hat, and a second for the sweater, plus an honorable mention for a knitted sweater I entered. My total prize money was $16.00.

My husband entered one...just one...oil painting and won a first place ribbon. His winnings were $27.00. That Is UN-FAIRE!!!

But, I did get more recognition. His painting was in the back of the gallery, in an obscure position. My Crochet Sweater was front and center, on a manequin, at the entrance to the hall!!

I've enterd photography in faires, three times acutally. All while I was in school. The first two were through my Girl Scout Council and then went on to the KS state fair. What amazed me is the first one I entered when I was in 2nd grade got put in the wrong group at the State Fair and was judged against older girls and I still took 2nd place!! :eek The second year I didn't do quite as well, but still took first at the GS fair. The third one was a B&W photo I took for class in high school on a whim and it turned out to be one of my best peices ever. It was entered in the county arts and science fair (I have a bio degree, but all my awards are in art??? :shrug:think) and took first.

I don't think I'd ever enter any of my crochet in a fair or contest. I do it for fun and think that any little mistakes (that don't actually cause it to look bad/wrong) actually add to the peice. :shrug

Archived