Do you enter any fairs?

Every year, I enter our McHenry County Fair. It's a pretty big event and many people enter items that they make.

I try to make really different items. My big winner last year was a pair of store bought socks that I had crocheted around the tops with thread and then put on square purple beads. They won best of show and First Place. The socks were green, I used white thread, and purple beads. To me, they were ok, but I didn't think they would do as well as they did.

The thing is, you never know what the judges are thinking. Sometimes, things that you think will do well don't, and those that you think are just ok end up being the big winners.

It is such an event in my house that the kids now enter, and also the kids I babysit all summer long make items also.

They love the big money that they get for winning! It's usually $4, $3, or $2 for the prize money.

It is something I really look forward to. I start planning and making things in January so that I will be done by August. This year, I am making an afghan (needs to be trimmed), a pillow (needs finishing), an ornament, a doll dress (haven't started) and a plastic canvas sign. Maybe some cookies too.;)

Have you entered your local fair? What have been your results? Do you win? What do you enter?

I love my fair. How about you?:)

Linda

I love going to the county fair when my children were young.

I've never entered...haven't been to a fair in about 10 years.

I did just go to my county website and print out their fair information. I'll think about entering. Might be fun.

I'm going to enter my first county fair next month with an afghan and a shawl. I'm a little anxious about it because I haven't seen what was entered in previous years but what the heck, I'll give it a try.

I don't think they do that 'round here... at least, I've never heard of anything like that.

And to be quite honest, it's only been since we moved here that my work has gotten good. I wasn't BAD before, but I've gotten SO much better since we got here (that's what happens when you don't have to work 60+ hours a week anymore!:lol You actually HAVE time to work on bettering your craft!).

Not to mention, I FINALLY learned how to read a pattern!:P

But if they DID do something like that out here, I probably would. Just as an experiment, if nothing else. I'd be curious to see what other people thought of my work.

I actually think that the fairs started in the United States. They may not be world-wide. I think the first State fairs started in the late 1800's as a way for farmers to learn about new products and show off their wares. They have since grown into a huge business all around the country. If Springfield was closer, I would enter the State Fair as well.

Linda:cheer

Years ago I used to enter things I made at the county fair. The judges are very picky and look for the mistakes. Of course, that's what they have to do to judge each item.

I once entered a vest (sewn) I had made and the judge made the comment that the back side of where the buttons were sewn had a knot. Apparently knots are not supposed to show or be seen.

It just got to where if my item wasn't as perfect as I could make it that there was no sense entering it in the fair. The judges want perfection.

So, I haven't entered anything in the county fair for many years because it got to the point where it just wasn't fun anymore.

Oh, and our State Fair now charges for entries!

I've been entering my crochet in the local largest fair in the region since 2004. So far I've taken 3rd and 2nd places, and this year hope to snag a first place.

There is a fair right here in my hometown, but it is small and doesn't have the variety of the larger one, so I don't attend or enter anything into the competition.

The larger regional fair has much more exhibits and entries to see, people enter from all over the state. It's a day long experience of just seeing people's creativity, and I love it!

~ Lori

Cook County doesn't even have a fair! I guess too much of the area is urban.

They could hold it in Lemont... I THINK there's still some open land there. :lol

(I grew up in Lemont.)

Well, I do know there is the DuPage County Fair, the Kane County Fair and the Lake County Fair in Illinois. I didn't know there wasn't one in Cook County. But Then again, where could they put it? In Oak Park, Berwyn or Cicero?:lol Maybe at Cermak Plaza!!!:lol :lol :lol

By the way, you don't have to live in the county to enter. Just pay your money and they are happy to have you.

Do a google under county fairs and you may find one not too far away.

I just love entering the fair. To see my name in the paper and my big winnings!:lol

It's a good time.

Linda:manyheart

I entered our local fair last year for the first time. I was soo excited That I won 2nd place on both of the doilies that I entered. I want to enter again this year but just have no idea what to make.

Krystal

In Australia, we have a Show(Fair) eg: the Melbourne Show and then we have smaller shows around the state. The way it usually works is that to put any entries into the State show, you had to have been a winner at a local show. I have entered over the past 3 years and have won everytime. There is no prize money at the local ones but there is at the big ones

awards2.jpg

The next one is my favourite as I took out all the awards at the show, and it was also the 50th Anniversary of the Show. I got my picture in the local paper as well. (excuse the unmade bed)

awards3.jpg

In Irvine (Estill County KY) we have a really small fair that people enter things in. I haven't been since I was little - my mom used to put a lot of things in there, a couple of stuffed animals we had, veggies, cannings, roses and zinas to name a few. I'm thinking about entering this year or just stocking up for next.. but I have no idea what to make. I guess a bear would do lol.. since that's about all I do... I don't have patience to make a blanket besides baby blankets :P

I am hoping to enter my 63 more afghan in my county fair. That would be the Boonville Oneida county fair. It will be my first time entering. I will probably enter a few other items that I have made this year also.

Thanks for all the posts about fairs. To me, it is just a fun event that can highlight your skills.

Try something new for the fair. I will be making my mom's famous double chocolate cookies this year. First time entering food.

Good luck to all those who are trying it for the first time. You may just surprise yourself.

Best wishes at the fair,

Linda:manyheart

I would like to hear results after the fair.

I've posted this before but I'm proud to do it again. My cupcake pincushion won second place in class. It was the one of the smallest and easiest items I entered but won the biggest ribbon (no cash). It took me 60 years to enter a country fair. I don't know what took me so long. Next year will be my third time entering.

cupcake6lm.jpg

We have a local Show where I live. I like to enter crochet items each year. I always try to enter a filet piece (as I adore filet) and then try and complete an item from other categories such as crochet rug, garment, hanky edge etc. It is always fun to do and inspirational to see other entrants work.

When you enter something into a fair does it have to be an original design? Something you yourself came up with or can you follow a pattern from someone else and enter it? I am kinda curious about entering mine in October, but I don't have an original bone in my body.

Just curious.

It does not have to be an original design. Generally, you would write a card about your object you are entering, and you just state that it was pattern "XYZ" from the book titled "Abc patterns" for an example. If you put an original border or change the pattern, then you write that you started with pattern "XYZ" and changed the blank of it and made it my own original design.

I hope you understand what I mean. It is so fun to enter and see how you stack up to others.

And the few bucks for prize money is a bonus. The name in the paper is a bonus too.

Good luck.

If you need help with the card, then pm me and I can help.

It was great fun entering the fair. I did it in 8th grade with two paintings (the last time I painted anything!) It was so fun walking down the aisle after judging and seeing you'd won something!! My grandma used to enter all of her artwork--I think she was probably my inspiration. I should do it again!

If you are looking for a source for a great afghan to enter the fair, you may want to look at "Blue Ribbon Afghans from America's State Fairs". It has some awesome ideas for afghans that might bring you home a great prize.

Mine is not from this book though. So I don't know what my chances are.

Last year, I brought home 2nd place after the first year of not placing at all. It really depends on the year. Sometimes there will be 30 afghans, and sometimes it is just seven or eight. Our fairgrounds has been in the process of looking for a new location for the last 4-5 years, so I think people are afraid to enter items. They are not sure from year to year where the fair will be.:(

I was quite pleased with 2nd place. This year, I sure hope it is a first place ribbon that goes on my afghan. But you never know.

Good luck to all entering. It really can be a lot of fun.

I've never entered a fair, but for nucki or anyone else in the UK

http://www.needlecraftfair.co.uk/

I'm not sure how up-to-date the event list is, but if there are any organisers in your area, it might be worth a ring if you want to enter.

http://www.craft-fair.co.uk/Diary.cfm lists of different craft/show and fair events, some private that you go and look/buy, but some that can be entered as well, just need to find ones for crochet/needlework.

http://www.craft-show.co.uk/

Hope some of them are useful. :hook

I've never entered a fair, but for nucki or anyone else in the UK

http://www.needlecraftfair.co.uk/

I'm not sure how up-to-date the event list is, but if there are any organisers in your area, it might be worth a ring if you want to enter.

http://www.craft-fair.co.uk/Diary.cfm lists of different craft/show and fair events, some private that you go and look/buy, but some that can be entered as well, just need to find ones for crochet/needlework.

http://www.craft-show.co.uk/

Hope some of them are useful. :hook

The first two don't even MENTION crochet as a craft, and I had to go through 24 pages of entrants on that last website before I found even one person that listed crochet as their craft. I saw one with "coffee beans" listed (can someone explain to me how coffee beans can be a craft?:think ), but almost no crochet.

NO WONDER people here look at me funny when they see me crocheting in public!:eek

Archived