How and when do you buy yarn?

When you buy yarn, do you wait for a sale and stock up? Or do you have a project in mind and just buy what you need? Or do you randomly buy yarn that just catches your eye?

I like to buy when stuff is on sale, even if I don't have a specific project in mind. I'll stock up on the 'basics' or my favorites but I don't buy stuff I don't usually use. But of course if I have a project in mind, I'll buy what I need. But I always buy some extra 'just in case'!

I do all of the above. Whenever I have a coupon, I will use it, whether I need something or not. I will buy something that catches my eye and if it tells me it wants to be something. I am starting my own design business and so different types of yarns are speaking to me and giving me ideas, so I will buy those.

Also, if I am making something specific I will buy what I need for that project or if I have something in mind, I will get the yarn for that. I always tend to get a little bit extra too...just to build up my stash. :hook

I buy yarn for a project that I absolutely positively have to do right now

I buy yarn 'cause it's on sale

I buy yarn 'cause it's pretty

I buy yarn 'cause I'm having a bad day

I buy yarn 'caues I'm having a good day

I buy yarn 'cause I have a coupon

Since my LYS has just regular stuff, whenever I get to go to a higher end yarn store, I buy and buy - I have things in mind and sometimes the yarn is just so soft and pretty, I have to buy it. I will also buy and put to the side for swaps and RAOK's!!! :cheer

All of the above! I buy yarn for WIMs, because it's on sale, because I have a coupon, because I don't know when I'll see it again, because I feel like spending money (shh! don't tell DH!). Usually I buy about 3 skeins, unless it's a really good sale or I really think I will need more/less for whatever I'm making.

Of course, when I go out specifically for yarn it is generally because I am starting a specific project with a specific deadline where I need a specific yarn. And then I buy all I project to need for the project. Other than that, I try to "shop" in my stash first, since I buy yarn all of those other times!!

I buy yarn for a project that I absolutely positively have to do right now

I buy yarn 'cause it's on sale

I buy yarn 'cause it's pretty

I buy yarn 'cause I'm having a bad day

I buy yarn 'caues I'm having a good day

I buy yarn 'cause I have a coupon

What she said...:devil

I buy buy buy! I'm horrible. But I do try to catch sales mostly. I almost never have specific projects in mind when I'm looking at yarn, but if so, then I will buy for that particular project.

I buy yarn when its on sale, if it catches my eye, if I have a particular project in mind .. and I also routinely "patrol" yard sales and thrift stores for yarn, thread, hooks, patterns, anything crochet-worthy.I have a serious crochet addiction .. in my bedroom closet are three 18 gallon rubbermaid containers full of yarn, one full of thread, and a 30 gallon bag full of yarn I found at a yard sale in a free bin. I have another 18 gallon container in my living room with wips and extra stash that has already been earmarked for projects, I have another 18 gallon container with pattern books, and a file cabinet with patterns that I've printed from the internet. I have my hooks in an artist's carry tote .. the type that is plastic and has a hinged lid. I also own a 1960's Pfaff knitting machine that I am in the process of teaching myself to use.

I guess I should introduce myself ...

Hello, my name is Lisa, and I have a serious addiction to crochet. Please DO NOT attempt to find a cure. I LOVE IT! :manyheart

blessed be

Since I have a very serious case of YAS, I buy yarn at any and all times, though usually when it is on sale and then buy several skeins of different colors to stock up. Same goes when it is at great clearance prices, I stock up, whether or not I have a project in mind at that time. I also use my coupons and pick up different skeins of yarn. Wherever I see yarn and sometimes I have found it in discount stores, it just jumps into my cart and pleads with me to take it home. How can I resist? I have quite a stash (last count was over 75 containers, tote bags, boxes, etc) of yarn so I usually can find what I need for a project in there. But off I go for more. And I do buy online too.

And I think the best reason when I buy yarn is "because it is there".

Take care,

LI Roe

I love to buy yarn, especially if I have a coupon. I do watch for sales. AC Moore does seem to get the best sales, good thing I don't live too close to one. I buy yarn and then match it up with a project later. I stock up on the basic colors, using generally Red Heart, cheap and esay to come buy, I give away almost everything I make either to Project Linus or another charity. I like to maker the teen size afghans for Linus so use a lot of yarn. Charlene

Well, since I never have much money to spend on yarn I usually buy it whenever I have the money. I usually make 1-2 trips to Jo-Anns a week and use several 40% off coupons at once to buy "staples" so that I'll always have plenty. I am always in need of Simply Soft or Caron One Pounders so I just grab whatever I can in those yarns.

I also watch out for Rag Shops 30-40% off entire purchase coupons which they do several times a year. Sometimes they'll even been good on sale items. I once was able to purchase 10 Caron One Pounders for under $12 so that was an awesome deal!

Once in awhile my hubby will let me spend $40 to purchase from KnitPicks or another on-line vendor but most of the time I have to use the coupons locally...

I usually only buy for what I'm making.....but somehow I have a nice stash of yarn for things I never started making.......:lol

I tend to buy yarn when I have a specific project going or when the "yarn sirens" start calling :lol , summoning me to take a road trip to AC Moore...

Since I'm not working i try not to buy unless i have a project in mind. But if there is a sale and it's a good price, than i will buy some. The most that i buy is 4 at a time.

There is no rhyme or reason to my yarn buying lol

sometimes buy 1 skein of this & 1 skein of that (just like taking small portions of everything at the buffet lol)

sometimes go for cotton & end up bringing home 3-4 balls of something but no cotton :lol Forgot cotton while sniffing yarn & touching all the yarn.:P

then occasionally I am overjoyed because I actually buy enough yarn in the right stuff to do a WIM :hook

the when?...whenever I have $10 or more not allotted for something like food or those pesky bills of course! LOLOLOL

...with a project in mind. Somebody mentioned yard sales...I never thought of that...DUH. I will do that. I want to pick up a huge supply of yarn and just come up with a project to do based on what I collect.

Great Idea! Thanks:hook

I I will buy something that catches my eye and if it tells me it wants to be something. I am starting my own design business and so different types of yarns are speaking to me and giving me ideas, so I will buy those.

*following lavelle aeound to hear the yarn speak....shhhhhhhhhhhh*

I buy yarn cause I love it!!! I cant seem to stop!!! now my bf let me take 1/2 a bonus check (200.00) top buy yarn and I cant decide...it is like his permission has sent me too free:think I have really been looking at wool of the andies at knitpicks.....I also have been thinking about some way too expensice hand dyes.....help somebody!!!

Laura

My Wal Mart just put a tote of yarn on sell! WOOHOO, So mom found it (enabler) got me a few of the Red Hart Plush in assorted colors. I had to go and get MORE. But most of the time I have something in mind. I have done Yarnmarket too. Dh knows about that one :S you can't really hid it when UPS comes after he gets home from work!

I buy what I need for a project. I just don't have the room or money to buy because it's on sale or it's pretty. I have bought four balls of yarn because it was on sale.

I will make an exception and buy Sugar and Cream if I ever see it at the dollar store like someone mentioned once. Or if I see Lustersheen on sale at Wal-Mart for a good price, I'm going to get that. Those are two types I can probably make good use of.

I only go to the crafts stores when I've got a project in mind and need something for it..of course if I see a great sale while I'm there....LOL!! I will buy stuff I don't need just cause of the sale...then I explain to my DH that spending the extra $$ was really a good idea and not just because I can't control myself LOL!!

Jessie

Awhile back I was making angels with thread, I had orders for hundreds and this was after christmas!!?? So I heard about a yarn manufaturer in georgia a couple hours from home. I played hooky one day from work. Did not even tell my kids. I went there and it was true. They had hundreds of kinds, colors and weights, and all of it by the pound. It was a few pennies per ounce. So was the thread. I loaded my car with all it would hold. Let me tell you, I was popular with everyone for a while. I recently called them to see if they had a special day they were open, I was figuring on taking another day for myself. Bad news: they closed the plant. So I am hunting an another outlet if anyone hears of one. Please pass it on. Although I still buy bargains. My supplies are down to a dangerous level... lol.. Miki Mullins

I buy when on sale, buy for certain projects and buy esp if I see a color I like.

I get my yarn from Walmart and lately I've bought lots of yarn from AC Moore - esp when on sale and with 40% coupons. I have so much yarn (love the one pounders) that I sometimes sneek it in and put it in my craft closet (if there is room) so my hubby won't see it. :hook

Archived