Project Rest Assured

mamabear3

I head a group called Project Rest Assured. Our mission is to provide comfortghans to children in the foster care system in Cleveland, Ohio. My husband and I have worked in this field for years, and we know firsthand how much children enjoy receiving handmade gifts. For all of you who donate your precious time and talents to charity and wonder, don't wonder anymore---you're doing a valuable thing. So many kids I've worked with are just dumbfounded when they receive a gift from a stranger. They just can't wrap their heads around why someone they don't know would make something for them, when the people in their lives who were supposed to love them only hurt them. Many of the recipients of these ghans are children my husband personally works with as a social worker.

We are requesting 6" or 12" crocheted or knitted squares in 100% acrylic worsted weight yarn. Of course any gift is a great gift, but we all know that teenagers in particular can be picky, so we have color themes that we follow to assemble the ghans to make them a little "cooler". There are so many different choices, though, that everyone is bound to have at least one of the colors. The themes include but are not limited to: Primary Colors, Pinks & Purples, Neon Brights, Pure White, Blues and Greens, and Babies, etc.. Gifts from other groups are often given at Christmas, which is great, but many, many of these kids go in and out of the system during other parts of the year. Therefore, we are focusing on giving the children comfortghans on their birthdays. Please contact me if you could contribute some squares or even a complete lapghan. I know there are many other wonderful charities to choose from. That's why we accept 6" squares, too. Something quick and easy for you, but powerful in the life of a child. Thanks for considering joining us in this effort. You can just make a few 6" squares to use up scraps, or you can join our Yahoo! group to keep track of the great things we have planned.

amy

*****Update July 13, 2006

The group is growing and growing. I am so pleased to have so many members from Crochetville. Thanks to all who have contributed. The need continues to grow as well. There are 3000 kids I'm trying to reach, so believe me, every square counts. :) We also have a large group of members who are making complete lapghans to donate. Whatever works for you is valuable to me. Here's some photos of ghans Project Rest Assured has produced lately. Thanks again, and looking forward to hearing from even more of you!!!

th_AsiaGhan.jpg th_WilliamGhan.jpg

th_AshleyGhan.jpg th_Jackghan.jpg

I received the squares you sent today, Kelly. Thank you so much!! The colors exactly match two different afghans I have in the works. They were definitely meant for us.

Amy

Grannies are just fine, in fact, most of the squares people are sending are basic grannies or just a little bit fancier. As long as they are very close to the size (6" or 12", whichever you prefer), have flat sides (no shell edges), and are made of 100% acrylic worsted weight, they have a home waiting for them here. I PM'd you my address. Thanks so much for contributing.

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just joined the yahoo group. Looking forward to helping your Ohio fostor children. I live in TN but make alot of charity items and send to many different charities all over the country. I'm looking forward to working with ya'll to make these children's lives a little brighter :)

Betty in TN

• 2 weeks later...

is this still opened ?id love to make a lapgan for someone ,please email me what to do and where to send it .i'd love to keep someone warm .Thank :hug you Theresa smith:c9

:hug i will be mailing in soon as possible id like to make baby blanket and i will send 1 square .So happy to be involved with all you great people .in :manyheart friendship, Theresa:yay

• 2 weeks later...

Archived