yarn thieves!

edit: I also agree $40 for a skein of yarn is beyond my comprehension.

Oh, I've paid more than $40 for a skein of yarn ($42), and I don't have a lot of money. But it was for something I was going to wear, and it just wouldn't have been the same in the acrylic I use for afghans, even Microspun (which I have used in a garment before). Also, 1 skein was enough. Since skeins come in so many different sizes (this one was 8 oz. and I knit it so needed less), it's possible for someone to buy 1 skein of something and do a whole project. I made this top: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27414 from just one skein, and as broke as I am, it was definitely worth it.

but stealing yarn, yeah, won't go that far for the good shiny shiny. i hope they stick it to 'em.

Well I am going to have to admit that I just paid $96 dollars for a skein of yarn.:eek:faint It is a huge skein and is hand tied of multiple types of yarn. Used for scrumbling or freeform crochet mostly.

:shrug What can I say! :loco I am a little nuts and have been saving my pennies for quite some time! The woman that owns the shop was wearing a top she had knitted from the stuff. Georgeous!

It is absolutely beautiful and I could not put it down. I had to have it!

I guess I'm just a big ol' meanie but, if I owned the shop, I'd press charges. To me, one of the reasons we need to punish criminals is to send a message to other would-be criminals that breaking the law won't be tolerated. Stealing is stealing, even if it's Grandma doing it.

I'm glad the shop owner got so much of the yarn back (though the women didn't return the yarn, a husband did). Who knows how much more they would have stolen if they hadn't been caught now. IMO, these women should at least get probation. Having someone keep close tabs on them for awhile could do everyone some good.

Maybe one of the reasons yarn in small shops is so expensive is due to the theft factor? My local quilt shop just announced likely price increases due to increased shoplifting in the past few months.

Just my two cents' worth :)

See what you did?:lol Now every time I look at my yarn stash, I am going to be thinking about this story....my goodness, yarn theives. :rofl I am going to have to hide all my yarn so I don't fall victim to a couple of yarn theives. Yikes, if someone stole my yarn I'd be devastated :eek Thanks for the story! :day

If people need to steal yarn, they can take some of my stash (I might not notice). I Would donate extra yarn to people who are that desperate. When I claen out, I always send some to the senior center in my town.

Ellie 13 :yes

I almost feel sorry for them. I know stealing is stealing, but I almost hope they don't get too busted,... because I can understand the obsession!

If they go to a minimum securety prison, maybe we could send yarn and they could crochet/knit all day.:rofl LOL :lol

Ellie 13

Did they get caught because the hubby returned the yarn? I read that article and can not figure out how someone could do that if they really appreciated what they had in life. Besides where would you put all that yarn? I do think they should be prosecuted because it is customers such as those that make the prices so high for the rest of us. Of course I can't pay more than $20. a skein of yarn either.

Archived