nightowl

A nice cup of tea. . .

Who ever thought there'd be so much to say about tea?

I am a tea drinker. The only coffee I drink is Iced Coffee (or Coca Cola, that should count as it's caffeine content is so high!)

I like Dilmah tea bags. It's just a regular black tea but has a stronger flavour than liptons. I use straight milk from the supermarket (full cream milk it's called here, unless you buy Skim or something), and a small amount of sugar (1/2 tsp). I can't stomach straight black tea, even with lemon or sugar in it. I like my tea in mugs, it lasts longer! And I have to drink it when it's still just the little bit too hot and singes my tongue. Warm milky tea makes me feel squeemish. I don't buy tea when out and about, nor do I ask for it when a guest in someones house as I am quite particular about the amount of sugar and the amount of milk. I've had people ask me "weak or strong?" and everyone's idea of which is different, so it's never quite "right".

I buy Nestea Iced Tea Lemon Flavour (Part of the Nestle/Coca Cola Company) which comes pre-bottled and I think I paid about $3.20 for a 600ml bottle yesterday :blush Sweatea sounds to me like "iced tea" but I could be very much wrong!!

There are many fruity teas and things available now, but I like my black tea best. I've never even much liked Earl Grey or English Breakfast or the other varieties of black tea. I can't stand green tea, worse with milk! I did Japanese in school and we were forced to try it (along with tofu and stuff).

Aussies too are very found of and renouned for their BBQ's. Hushpuppies, much like Colleen in NZ, are a shoe brand here. And not a cheap one either! Electric kettles are most popular here in Aus. I think mainly for their convinience. They can be bought for as little as $10. Some brands can be well over $100. In the end they all do the same thing! I think microwave water tastes so bad cos of the "super heating" of microwaves. I read somewhere water shouldn't be put in the microwave on it's own as it can "explode" after it's taken out. Probably urban legend.

Nowl, there is a shop in London (I think) that has all Aussie stuff, including Vegemite. One of our travel shows "The Great Outdoors" is often in the UK and they always go there for the nostalgia of home!! They have the Aussie chocolates and biscuits (cookies to our American friends) too. Would you believe Aussie and UK Mars Bars aren't the same?!! We have a sweets shop in Kalgoorlie which sells the UK varieties of chocolates and they're really quite different.

The Tim Tams with alcohol were Kaluha Colleen. They took them off the market as it was "encouraging children to think alcohol was ok". Don't let them take Old Jamaica - Rum n Raisin chocolate away... I love that stuff!!! There is even a chilli Tim Tam at the moment!! Not game enough to try that one...

Though it has nothing to do with crochet, this is a most interesting thread. It is fascinating to see the different attitudes to tea all over the world. As for me, where I live is less than an hour's flight from Darjeeling, and we consider Darjeeling tea the best tea in the world. The real connoisseurs make their own blends, though I buy large leaves in canisters. The great thing about tea is that it offers a lot of scope for individual preferences, AND it has been proved to be a health drink.

Only distilled water will explode when coming out of the microwave, it was on mythbusters. Distilled water is pure water with no added minerals or chemicals. I dont remember off hand why exactly that is but when they were experimenting with the water they dropped a sugar cube into the cup of distilled water and it became an instant boiling mug and super heated water shot up into the air. Nasty burn you'd get if you tired that.

On the subject of tea...I love tea. I love traditional varieties and I adore the herbal teas. My favorite is put out by Yogi Tea, its Green Tea Kombucha, it's so good! I like how the different herbs make you feel. Green Tea Kombucha makes me feel energized and it's good for fighting infections and calming the stomach. I will say that it does fight infections and help calm the stomach as I have struggled with some nasty ulcers and I'm sick several times a year. Tea is so amazing and it makes you feel so good about drinking it.

I found this thread to be very interesting. I am not a big "hot" tea drinker", living down south (USA-Arkansas) however we consume a great deal of sweetened, iced tea. My boys and I do, ocassionally, drink a cup of hot, mint (usually spearmint, but have recently tried pepermint) tea, with a teaspoonful of honey. I do not care for lemon or milk/cream in my tea. I have never had a tim tam, but when the boys and I drink tea we always have a few of these fabulous ginger snaps called "Pepparkakor" (found them at the Worl Market), from Sweden. We gave our favorite mint tea and ginger snaps to the boy's teachers as "meet and greet" gifts before school started this year. They loved them.

I just got to thinking, I do drink Chai a very little bit as well. No one else in the house likes it so I do not purchase it often. I do drink it with cream and also honey. Hmmm... I have a recipe to make this that I have never tried, I think I am inspired to try now.

I buy Nestea Iced Tea Lemon Flavour (Part of the Nestle/Coca Cola Company) which comes pre-bottled and I think I paid about $3.20 for a 600ml bottle yesterday :blush Sweatea sounds to me like "iced tea" but I could be very much wrong!!

You are right... I have not had sweatea from the south... but I have had someone make sweatea here...

Forgiveness requested from the southerners for my question... but I know this particular person made sweetea with Lipton tea bags... Is this not the way to make it down south???

I make my tea a certain way too... It has to be boiled on the stove... and I have to run the water over my teabag... not the other way around... (ie put bag in boiling water.) There is a big difference, and I think it doens't take as long for the tea to steep when you do it this way.

I think microwave water tastes so bad cos of the "super heating" of microwaves. I read somewhere water shouldn't be put in the microwave on it's own as it can "explode" after it's taken out. Probably urban legend.

Definitely NOT an urban legend...

Basically, the water gets so hot it will "explode" when something is put in it... (spoon, teabag etc.) That is how so many people burn themselves... or hurt themselves when the cup breaks... This does not happen with tea pots...

I personally think tea tastes terrible when heated in a microwave... I can definitely taste the difference... I think it does taste that way because of the chemical breakdown that occurs from the microwave...

A microwave basically sends MICRO-WAVES through everything we heat up... surely some of the water is compromised on the molecular level.

I am a tea person... moreso than coffee... I like the Lipton tea for convenience... but I LOVE the tea from the Middle Eastern store we go to... it is loose tea leaves and mint... you let it steep for awhile... WONDERFUL...

:lol

I love Hushpuppies... (both the biscuits and the shoes)

I think it is great how we learn something from people on the opposite end of the globe... People might never have known these things otherwise.

Ok this is my take on this issue (and to be serious this was a discussion recently)

Ice Tea (I am originally from Maine) We made ice tea from a powered mixture just add cold water and Viola Ice Tea ( I think the brand we used was 4C) didn't have to add sugar or anything just 8 scoops of the mixture.

SweetTea (I now live in Virginia) This is hot tea (tea bags your right pour the cold water over tea bags abd bring to boil on the stove) that you add sugar to or not but it is either Sweetea or Unsweetened Tea. And can serve w/ lemon.

my two cents

:manyheart

Kidge

***... Adagio is so fast... (and their tea is so good!)

I got my order in a matter of days... it went out the same day I placed the order... Thanks for the links everyone...

I tried a new *tea* recently that I really like, it's by Celestial Seasonings (again). Technically this one has some real tea in it, green tea. I do not like green tea by itself. But this one is yummy; it's called 'Candy Cane Lane'. They had another one that was something Gingerbread. I got the candy cane one and even my husband likes it, too. (He's a die hard coffee drinker.) I got him drinking tea at night sometimes though now. Or when he's sick (like today.) :kettle

Tina

Hi everyone,

I've only just discovered chocolate-flavored, plum-flavored teas, etc. as I've read through the comments on this thread. (And they sound yummy too). But I've been drinking "Sweet Tea" most of my life, having been born and bred -- and now back in -- the South. The unofficial tea of much (if not all) of the South is always made with sugar. Thus the name. If you request "iced tea" at a restaurant, you will receive Sweet Tea. The establishment may or may not even have unsweetened tea available.

I grew-up in Pennsylvania, but I have lived in Ontario, Canada for 37 years. Here, iced tea is served sweet with lemon. I love sweet tea. When I go back home to Pennsylvania for a visit, I forget that iced tea is not sweetened. I hate iced tea made unsweetened. I wonder how sweet-iced tea came to The Great North (Canada) and not to the northern U.S.? Also, here in Ontario, regular hot tea is served with milk, the same as in Ireland or England.

Okay, I'm an American, but I must be a little less so in my tastes for tea. My favorite hot drink is definetly Twinings Earl Grey with a bit of sugar and milk...it's the best I can find in the states. But I do like simple herbal teas (chamomile and peppermint are my favorites) and some fruit flavored teas. However, I've never heard of these other flavors...chocolate, hazelnut?! Aren't those things that belong with coffee!

By the way, has anyone ever tasted "bush tea" from South Africa? I had it regularly when my college choir toured there, and I wish I'd brought home a boatload. It was delicious and naturally caffeine-free!

P.S.- Rosemary, sweet tea is actually a Southern US thing...in some states here in the South you can't get "unsweet" (as they call it) iced tea unless you ask specifically for it. How on earth sweet tea migrated to Canada and skipped over the northern US is beyond me, though. I'm a northerner transplanted to Texas, and I'll drink sweet or unsweet iced tea, but I still prefer my tea hot anyway!

Here's an interesting article on U.S. tea-drinking habits and a new line of teas from Lipton:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/13/dining/13tea.html?ex=1315800000&en=9d310e8e57fc298d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

My personal favorite, which I drink at least twice a day, is Twining's Lady Grey. The most adventuresome I get with flavored teas is an occasional jasmine green tea. And, once in a while a raspberry- or peach-flavored tea. When they start adding all sorts of odd flavors to tea, then I wonder why they persist in calling it tea. I went with some friends for high tea at the Ritz Carlton Hotel the other day, and they were serving only traditional teas, with a couple that were just slight variations of those. Interestingly, they did offer a red bush tea, something I've been unable to develop the same enthusiasm for as the lady detective in Alexander McCall Smith's mystery novels.

I know I'm an old curmudgeon, but I also don't understand why they keep calling drinks martinis that have stuff like chocolate in them. Then there's coffee -- which to me is only a means to help wake up in the morning -- never as pleasant to the palate as tea. I don't know why they still term coffee those concoctions that probably contain as many calories as an entire dinner.

Alrighty then - I got confused along the way - just to sum up for the non-Americans:

flavoured tea is actually black tea with an added flavour (chocolate or toffee or whatever).

Bonus question: Does this usually come as loose tea or teabags? (I'd like to ROAK someone but would like to know what the most usual tea-type is)

and stuff like e.g raspberry tea is what I know as a herbal tea?

And our strong, black British Isles-type tea (aka Builders' Tea or A Cuppa or The Elixir of Life ;)), drunk with milk and/or sugar, constantly being made/has just been made/will be made within minutes is not that common?

reading thru, I drink lots of tea since about 8 years old. I order my tea online from here.

http://www.stashtea.com

pretty good stuff, and my husband and I love to mix and mix flavors for something different. He didn't use to like doing that, but one day he got out the wrong tea in the fridge and he loved what I had made, and was surprised what was in it.

my favorite is loose leaf tea. it has so much more flavor then the bags. Once you start using loose leaf tea, its very hard to go back to tea bags.

I love black teas, white teas, browns teas

but, but, I'll stay away from teas that has the :eekHibucus:eek flower tea, yes as in the flower Hibucus. I love the flowers they are so beautiful, but drinking it, the tea does not agree with me, it gives me the runs:(. It had a wonderful flavor tho.

the tea may seem pricy to some but it does go a long ways:yes... Right now my husband is hooked on cream burlee, he loves the cream burlee tea!

I love the :manyheartchocolates teas...but my favorite is making mounds:manyheart tea:yes~~~~

sunnywolfgar

Ok...I am an American but I have lived in England...

So, tea. Flavored tea is typically either a black or green tea with some other flavor (like blackberry, cranberry, chocolate, etc.) added in. You can get flavored tea already made up (obviously not really convenient for shipping), in bags or in loose leaf. It has been my experience that most Americans prefer bags...however there are plenty of us that like loose leaf tea too.

Now, there is also this concept of tea that is herbal tea, that will often come in interesting flavors. This is tea that is brewed in lieu of a black or green tea. Personally can't stand the stuff, but there are plenty of people who like it.

I personally am a big fan of Earl Grey tea with lemon...but this flavored tea thing is very popular over here, and admittedly, I like the Pom teas that are green or black tea with pomegranate juice mixed in (this is flavored tea).

One good brand of tea that is easy to obtain that comes in flavors (so this is flavored tea) is Republic of Tea. You can buy this in bags or loose-leaf, and it comes in a nice tin. Their straight-up green tea is pretty good.

Hope that helps, and that I didn't repeat too many things already said. You know, the whole time I lived in England, I don't ever remember seeing much flavored tea...I never really thought about it while I was living there.

I'm a chai gal myself~any flavor of chai, from regular to vanilla to chocolate. I also loved one I can't find anymore~I think it was after dinner mint? It was a chocolate mint... I basically like 'em all though~a GOOD English Breakfast~MMMMM! Thanks for makin' me want more TEA! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~my boys love French Vanilla tea. They go from wrasslin' to drinkin' with their pinkies up with my good china to poundin' one another again! LOL!

ETA that I forgot that yummy honey red tea! Is it Rooibus? sp? I think I like all teas! and I DO like milk in my chai or English Breakfast....

Some teas come loose some come in bags. If you're buying for someone on an ROAK list make sure if you send loose they have a tea ball. Although they are not expensive at all. I personally prefer loose teas. They have a much deeper flavor and seem to be much more robust (in my opinion.) However some people do not like loose teas. It's all a matter of opinion.

Heck, I'm always grateful no matter what when I get an ROAK so I will NEVER complain about the type, flavor or anything else of any kind of tea anyone wants to send to me! LOL

OK I live in the states I I have never heard of chocolate or hazelnut teas! I however am a big fan of those flavors in coffee. When I think of flavored teas I think of lemon, raspberry, orange, you know fruity teas ( which I alos love). Somehow chocolate tea just doesn't ring my bell. Now Belgin or German or Swiss chocolate bars are another thing altogether. YUM!!!!!

When you're all talking about "Sweetea", is my family the only one to make "Sun Tea"??

Basically, on hot sunny days, you put your water and teabags in a GLASS container that has a screw-on lid (like one-gallon food grade jars or Bell Jars) - you don't need as many bags as you'd think. Then you leave it outside in a spot that's going to get full sun for at least four hours. Remove the teabags, sweeten or lemon if desired, and yum! (Eco-friendly, too ;) )

My family's been making this forever, but no one else seems to do it... :think

No sweet tea and sun tea are not quite the same. Sweet tea is mostly a south eastern thing. I really miss sitting on my sisters porch in NC or my brothers house in SC driknking sweet tea. You just cant find it much here is AZ. Oh and I still make sun tea. What better place to make it than in sunny AZ.

I am a Yank but ever since I discovered the joys of loose leaf tea I drink almost exclusively unflavored and unsweetend tea. I order online from Upton Tea Imports -- they have an unbleivable variety.

I find that I prefer regional blends rather than single estate teas though. For black teas my favorites are Indian Assam, and Chinese Keemun and also their Java BOP which is a very good broken leaf black from Indonesia, for greens I like the organic Young Hyson they have as well as Temple of Heaven gunpowder but my favorite green it their China Green Sencha, which is much less expensive than Japanse Sencha. Another good blend is their Russian Caravan which is a blend of Keemun and Darjeeling.

For iced tea I've been using their South African Honeybush superior grade which makes a wonderfully refreshing 'tea' with no caffeine.