I'm Going On A Plane Trip

I'M GOING ON A :planeTRIP TO :grandma 'S IN MISSISSIPPI WHERE IT WILL BE:hotIN AUGUST. I PLAN ON TAKING THE DREADED BLANKY ( IF I HAVE NOT FINISHED IT BY THEN ), AND WANTED TO KNOW HOW THE PLASTIC CROCHET HOOKS HOLD UP WHILE CROCHETING. PLEASE GIVE ADVICE SINCE I CAN NOT TAKE MY ALUMINUM HOOKS:faint :sigh

I like my plastic crochet hooks. They seem to do fine for afghans. I guess it takes getting used to. Since I use the bigger hooks, I've used both plastic and aluminium.

I would call your airline and check with them. I thought I read on the forum somewhere that you can take crochet hooks in the air.

I don't fly very much anymore, so I'm not up on the details.

There was a thread about scissors on planes here, including a link I posted about allowed/prohibited items. You should be ok taking your aluminum hook. Even smaller steel hooks are generally ok, I think, but it's up to the discretion of the screener (if you tried to take a collection of hooks, but no yarn or thread, for example, I think they would be rightly suspicious).

And from a crocheting standpoint, I would advise it. If you've used one style hook (for example, Boye aluminum) for most of the blanket and then switch to another style (for example, Lion Brand plastic) - even of the same size and type (tapered or inline) - there will likely be a fairly noticable difference.

As for plastic hooks, I have no problem with them, in and of themselves. :) Just switching back and forth! :lol

Hope you have a great trip!!

I have taken small folding scissors and metal crochet hooks on the plane. I had to show them to the security people but that was no problem. Call you airline and check with them.

I've taken metal crochet hooks on planes lots of times. I don't think you will have a problem. Of course, the FAA rules still say it's up to the person doing the inspection. BUt, I really have not had problems. I I've even given the flight attendant crochet lessions mid air. (She was learning and was having a hard time with a sc).

I'M GOING ON A :planeTRIP TO :grandma 'S IN MISSISSIPPI WHERE IT WILL BE:hotIN AUGUST. I PLAN ON TAKING THE DREADED BLANKY ( IF I HAVE NOT FINISHED IT BY THEN ), AND WANTED TO KNOW HOW THE PLASTIC CROCHET HOOKS HOLD UP WHILE CROCHETING. PLEASE GIVE ADVICE SINCE I CAN NOT TAKE MY ALUMINUM HOOKS:faint :sigh

If you need any information on what you can bring on your flight you can go here

www.tsa.gov

and click on traveling tips it will tell you what you can pack ing your checked bags and carry on.

crochet hooks aluminum.plastic.wooden are all ok also knitting needles you can bring a pair of sisssors no bigger then 3 inches in length from the folcrom the folcrom is where the sissors are riveted together I hope this helps

Archived