LYS in San Jose: Commuknity on The Alameda

pragmatica

Finally stopped in at Commuknity on The Alameda this morning. I hadn't because, well, they not only have "knit" in their name but I think perhaps they should have doubled the "t"--the spelling bugs me. Actually, it's because their storefront is so nice that I thought they might be snobby and perhaps anti-crochet.

Turns out that while they're very slight on crochet books (one small shelf), they are VERY crochet-friendly and essentially fiber-agnostic. I picked up the Interweave crochet mags that I've meant to get for a while, and talked to one of the managers for a long time about additional crochet books she ought to carry (IMHO). She was totally interested in expanding their crochet selection, and went to look up whether her supplier could get her "Cool Crochet" and "The Crochet Answer Book" (which were the first two I could think of that she needed--I don't have the Kooler book so it doesn't occur to me to recommend it; I really need to get that book.)

They have a really large space and it's set up nicely. It doesn't feel cramped or crowded at all like a lot of yarn stores do. They have a huge workroom in the back for their classes, and they have a fireplace and lots of comfy couches for their general community gatherings, and they have a kid's table and playspace.

They don't have Tahki/Stacy Charles but I saw a ton of Rowan, Debbie Bliss, and other yummy yarns but since I didn't have money to buy, I didn't pet or look at labels a lot.

They were so friendly and the space was so welcoming that even though I'm a diehard buy-it-cheaper-onliner, I may break down and become an LYS aficionado.

So anyone in South Bay? A new choice besides the LYS in Campbell and the one in Saratoga, and really very nice with huge stock and very crochet-friendly if not exactly crochet-literate.

--Elissa

Oh, I've been there too! They're really nice and I loooove all their yarns, but they're a little pricey. Is the one in Saratoga you're talking about Knitting Arts? That one's cool too, not as friendly staff though. What is the shop in Campbell? I'd love to check it out. Thanks! Oh, also, there is another shop in Sunnyvale, called The Yarn Place, its tiny, but they're nice there too.

The one in Campbell is the Rug and Yarn Hut, at 350 E. Campbell Avenue. They're super-nice there--the owner is just about always in the store--and they carry spinning and weaving supplies as well. The space is much smaller than Commuknity and clearly "personal" to the owner; in some parts, the store's yarn stash is literally spilling onto the floor! Which I love. To me, it's a totally inviting atmosphere. The thing is, I go to the Y on The Alameda all the time so I drive by Commuknity longingly, while I don't go to Campbell very much ever since my hairdresser at Palazzi gave me a mullet and I had to find someone else. (The mullet is gone, at last. But I seem to have a hairdresser curse, as the new fabu stylist I found has moved to Pennsylvania. Argh!)

Also, I'm not allowed to buy any more yarn right now unless it's at Dollar Tree. And I really need to either start making scarves months in advance, or sell off my stash on eBay.

--Elissa

Archived