New Crochet! Magazine!

donnalynn2

I haven't gotten mine yet either. I e-mailed customer service and they said it should have arrived but since it hasn't they're sending me a replacement.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same with me!! I called customer service today to find that they were mailed out the last week of April. Ever since they changed the magazine format four issues ago, I haven't received one on time. :eek The representative today suggested that I speak to my post office about it, but from the sounds of it here, I believe that the company has the shipping problem!! I wanted to cancel my subscription, but hearing everyones problems on finding it at the newstands, I don't know what to do!! :thair

Try the grocery store, ladies--that's where I buy mine. I know, who'd've thunk it, that they'd carry it? But they also carry Interweave Crochet and Interweave Knits, so maybe the manager/mag order person is a crocheter/knitter. I bought it for the dragonfly afghan, too, but I love the cover dress as well. The halters leave me cold, too--very sexy and great for my neice, but not quite what the 40-year-old bod can handle. Hmm, what we really need is a desinger who provides the sexy halter and then directions on how to make it a little more solid for us those of us who could've worn it 20 years ago :lol and are facing (and embracing) the inevitable effects of middle age. Patty

Same with me!! I called customer service today to find that they were mailed out the last week of April. Ever since they changed the magazine format four issues ago, I haven't received one on time. :eek The representative today suggested that I speak to my post office about it, but from the sounds of it here, I believe that the company has the shipping problem!! I wanted to cancel my subscription, but hearing everyones problems on finding it at the newstands, I don't know what to do!! :thair

Hmmm, isn't it interesting that both you and Silviaf are both in Illinois and I'm in Wisconsin and none of us received our copies? Anyone else in these two states (or anywhere else) with an awol subscription? Looking at my last issue, I'm wondering if the printing on the glossy cover may be getting smeared, making addresses unreadable by the post office and putting our mags into the "dead" bin? Just speculating on what the possible hangups might be. While it IS readable, I am noticing that the "label" is a bit blurred and smeared on my April/May issue, since they are printing it directly onto the (shiny) cover stock...

I just checked my email and got a response from them to my message of yesterday - they are resending. I hope this replacement issue gets here quickly! I think I may respond and point out this possible problem for them to check on. I'd like to get this resolved so I can be more assured of receiving my magazines on time!

The halters leave me cold, too--very sexy and great for my neice, but not quite what the 40-year-old bod can handle. Hmm, what we really need is a desinger who provides the sexy halter and then directions on how to make it a little more solid for us those of us who could've worn it 20 years ago :lol and are facing (and embracing) the inevitable effects of middle age. Patty

So true, although I, uhm, outgrew halters long before I saw 40! :lol It would be nice, though, if they could balance out all these sexy skin-baring projects with some that did a better job of hiding areas we'd much rather not flaunt while still appearing fashionable. I know such things exist because I have a closet - and dresser - full of them! :blush Give some nice tank top patterns with straps wide enough to cover bra straps (the spagghetti straps just don't cut it!), long enough to overlap the top of my jeans and with a nicely textured more solid stitch for interest. Save the lacy stitches for the matching shrug/cardi!

All that said, I still like that Mango top and will probably be making it, to wear over one of my camis with the (real) bra built in. It IS really cute! :yes

I actually sent them an e-mail complaining about their selection of patterns and sizes in this issue. Several of the patterns are very lovely, but with so many of them being sized XS through M, I am forced to think they haven't seen any actual crocheters lately! I love the dress on the cover, but I am not of a size to wear it, nor do I want to be. And their halter tops that are constructed so that you cannot wear a bra with them...disappointed.gif The only pattern that was both available in my size (I'm very busty) and constructed so that a bra could be worn with it easily was a sweater. And you don't wear sweaters in Hawaii in June! (Or in Texas in June, for that matter.)

I really don't see myself buying it again until they inject a little common sense into their patterns.

That's why I'm currently making the sassy shells tank. Belinda was nice enough to include a built-in bra pattern that I think may make it respectable enough for me without spoiling the femininity of the design. And the straps really can be worked up as thick as neccessary to cover any bra straps if the built-in isn't sufficient enough. I hope this works as I hate spoiling the looks of the garment by having to wear a camisole or tank underneath.

OK, looks like I'm e-mailing customer service too. No magazine. I always get them later than everyone else (don't know why), but if you guys are getting results talking to them, I better let them know there is one more unhappy (impatient) crocheter out there.

EmpressBusyBee - those bras with the cool straps. Where can I find them? I've been passively looking for some time and haven't seen any for a while.

Thanks all!!

I want to say I saw some at Target and Wal-Mart but I'm not going to swear to it.

These are cute! They're beads. Can't promise on the comfort level but sometimes you have to choose.

http://www.casuallivingusa.com/default.aspx?uid=610664C&CategoryID=7eeaf0a9-c2a4-4279-95a1-30b06ae4257f&page=product&tlcode=KNC-12377&att=16268

http://www.mybrabeads.com/styles.html

Several differen kinds of straps:

http://www.brastraps.com/

Lane Bryant yesterday:

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/promo/affiliate.asp?page=offOffer1&promocode=00259064

Victoria's Secret has just the clear straps. Search for bra straps.

They used to have rhinestone and other straps. They might again or in clearance.

http://www.victoriassecret.com/

Fashion Bug has a bra that comes with both clear and solid straps for plus and misses sizes:

http://fashionbug.charmingshoppes.com/promo/fb/braSolutions.asp?cam_id=1997

Another set of clear straps:

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product.asp?product_id=TNL-HS100&mci=&size=&colour=

A bra with clear straps and clear back:

http://www.figleaves.com/us/product.asp?product_id=AEN-598&mci=&size=&colour=

Look through here for more places:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=decorative+bra+straps&rs=1&fr2=rs-top&prssweb=Search&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t400

So sorry for the mini highjack. :lol

I just got my mag yesterday too and I love the Beach Caftan.

:manyheart

I posted on their message board with an inquiry on whether this pattern would work for an XL person.... they responded that it should be fine or I can go up a hook. Maybe that'll also help get out the idea for styles for larger women..... I sure hope so or I might just never eat again !!! :eek

I just bought my thread on sale at Herrschners (big sale) and I'm waiting (almost patiently) for my package to arrive so I can get started.

_____

cindy

PS thanks for the bra links

And a preview of all the other projects. :)

http://www.crochetmagazine.com/tableofcontents.php

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I have been wondering what was in the mag. I can't find a copy anywhere...but will keep looking. Now that I see what all the fuss is about...I have to get one. I just love the sandals!!! How cute!

I understand you on that one. Actually, I am a size that I can wear their those small sizes, but I did think it was pretty ridiculous that some of the patterns went only up to medium. And all the halters! I must wear a bra. Even if I wore a strapless one or one with clear straps, you'd still be able to see the back of the bra, I think, because the back is entirely open. And what can I say, I'm just not comfortable having my entire back exposed like that.

Another thing I don't like about the mag is that they don't always show you the back of the top. That's really critical, but they only show you the front half. No schematics, either, to give you a clue about it. Schematics would be nice.

I did think lots of the things in there were cute and it's very fun to leaf through, but in all honesty I probably won't be making anything from there.

I actually sent them an e-mail complaining about their selection of patterns and sizes in this issue. Several of the patterns are very lovely, but with so many of them being sized XS through M, I am forced to think they haven't seen any actual crocheters lately! I love the dress on the cover, but I am not of a size to wear it, nor do I want to be. And their halter tops that are constructed so that you cannot wear a bra with them...disappointed.gif The only pattern that was both available in my size (I'm very busty) and constructed so that a bra could be worn with it easily was a sweater. And you don't wear sweaters in Hawaii in June! (Or in Texas in June, for that matter.)

I really don't see myself buying it again until they inject a little common sense into their patterns.

I agree, I will not be at a beach up here in the mountains but after a twirl in the sprinkler I think this might be just perfect for me. I will fill you all in if I can handle thread crochet......

_____

cindy

I love several of the patterns, and even though I can't wear them, I've enjoyed looking at them. I started the halter for my almost 14 yo niece. I've got the back and part of the front done. The fabric feels really nice. I'm using some old Red Heart Cotton Twist that I had stashed. I just hope I have enough to finish it and that it fits. I have to make a second one for the other niece too.

I agree that they should publish the patterns in larger sizes or at least explain how to size up. I'd also like to see more views of the item when I'm having pattern trouble. I like the counts in written patterns, but work visually a lot from the pictures.

Another thing I don't like about the mag is that they don't always show you the back of the top. That's really critical, but they only show you the front half. No schematics, either, to give you a clue about it. Schematics would be nice.

Yes!! show me the back and give me schematics!! It drives me crazy that they don't provide schematics!

...And all the halters! I must wear a bra. Even if I wore a strapless one or one with clear straps, you'd still be able to see the back of the bra, I think, because the back is entirely open. And what can I say, I'm just not comfortable having my entire back exposed like that. ...

For those unwilling to wear backless halter tops without support, there are always the heavy-duty tape-on bras. As far as support garments go, these things are amazing. Imagine a piece of wide duct tape attached firmly on each side of your, uh, bosom that holds the whole thing up firmly and covers the whole front of it for modesty in case of sheer fabrics or cold weather.

They're not actually made of duct tape, of course -- it's some kind of opaque but thin and smooth material in front with adhesive on the back -- but they're about as strong as duct tape; I've seen them hold up D cups and beyond.

I wouldn't wear them on any kind of regular basis, since you are putting adhesive directly on your skin, but they'd definitely work for occasional use with any of these halters.

(Addendum: I see that they now make a tape-on bra that uses a regular bra cup -- underwire, yay! -- and disposable tapes on the side, which may be a much better solution than the "Brazas" brand of tape-only that I'm used to. Here one. There are probably many kinds of similar items but I'm hoping to get off the computer and start crocheting soon, so a full-on search is beyond me. Try "tape-on bra" or "stick-on bra" if interested.)

(A side story about the stick-on bras. I used a first-generation version back in the 80s for a formal holiday party, and after I took them off at home, I put on a new flannel nightie that, unfortunately, shed. Next morning? Big blue fuzzy moons under my bosom where the stick-ons had been. Cracked me up. But the technology is sufficiently advanced that this doesn't happen anymore.)

Back to the magazine. This is the first issue of Crochet! I've ever looked at, but I was afraid that everything in it would be dreadful, since the only Crochet! patterns I've ever seen are the ones on freepatterns.com and a few other places that are from their older magazines and, um, not to my taste. (My mother-in-law taught my kids to say that about clothes that they find appalling or dreadful, and it's a really useful phrase.)

I think that the Hollywood halter on page 30 may be high enough in the back to cover a regular strapless bra without a problem, especially if it's the same color as the halter. It looks like the pattern will still be OK if I make it a lot longer than called for, since my navel no longer bears revealing to the world.

I'm thinking that I might even be willing to wear the ribbon jacket in the fall, but ribbon yarn is so expensive even when it's on sale that making an entire wearable out of it is just going to cost too much. So let me know if y'all ever see it go on sale for $2/ball, which is the price point for me to be able to afford this jacket.

--Elissa

I got an email from them in response to my inquiry (where's my magazine?) and they are resending it. Interesting that some of you are just getting it now. I wonder if I'll end up with two issues?

Probably. When I contacted them, they promised to resend my issue. About 3 days later my awol copy finally showed up, followed the next week by the resent copy. Go figure! But I really must give them points for getting that reissue out to me so quickly, it was only a week from when I contacted them to when it showed up!

I too like the beach caftan, was considering making a shorter version of it for wearing around the house...

Archived