Jimmie Lu

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cheer Yay! :cheer

The HOOK is on it's way!!!

Did you think to take pictures? :yes Will you share?

I put up a pic of my first square here (99 Granny Squares, #53, designed by Martha Brooks Stein), and I completed two more before sending on the hook. For these, I added two more yarns, Autumn Red and Dark Sage, both Caron Simply Soft (love that yarn!). Like the first square, this one is also from the 99 Granny Squares book. It's number 44, designed by Anne Halliday:

(from left to right) Front, back, and corner detail:

T_Hook14Aug061CRs.jpgT_Hook14Aug063CRs.jpgT_Hook14Aug064CRs1.jpg

What I'm trying to show in the corner detail picture by pulling one of the puffs forward is how the little puffs (the Tradewind yarn) sit on top of a round right behind them. That's why the puffs don't show from the back. The edge to either side of the corner puff is turned up towards the camera, and you're looking at the square edge-on, seeing the puff and backing round as layers. There are two rounds with puffs; the outermost, and the fifth. The puff round is made then its backing round. I made some changes from the pattern in substituting colors, and switched one round from its position as the last border to being an inner round in order to balance my color scheme. The original pattern would have shown it as the outer border framing the last round of puffs. I wanted to add that last round, but it would have made the square bigger than 12". This was a really fun pattern to make. I can see playing around with all kinds of color schemes on this one!:hook

The last square comes from the 2006 crochet calendar. It's "Framed Sunset", one of the Crochet Dude's Flying Afghan squares, shown on the pages for September 4th and 5th (from left to right, front then back):

T_Hook14Aug066CRs.jpgT_Hook14Aug068CRs.jpg

I don't think I got it right, since his picture shows the cables running vertically nice and straight, and mine definitely slant towards the center. :thinkI had trouble with the pattern (should have gone to check for errata) where the cable rounds switch off to the bordering round, and that looks like where the problem is. It called for stitching in each stitch across. The way I understood that instruction would have put in so many stitches that the edge would have ruffled like mad, so instead I used the number of stitches called for (31) and tried to put them in evenly across the cable pattern. Clearly, I got too many towards the corners. To make the square the right size, I added the second border round of half double crochet, which isn't in the original pattern.

One of the details I liked the most on this square was in round 2, where you stitch into the back loop only of the round 1 stitches, making that nice ring effect in the center. Jimmie Lu, you'll have your work cut out for you fixing the "wonk" in this one when you join it! :embar

All in all, I really enjoyed working with the hook and trying squares that were out of my comfort zone. Learned a lot, and would gladly do it again! Thanks again to Jimmie Lu for organizing this and assembling the 'ghan(s) - a true labor of love :hug

Patricia, those squares are beautiful! What pretty colors and choice of patterns. And let me tell you, the wonk will come right out of those babies, no sweat! This is going to be one spectacular 'ghan when it's done!

Jimmie Lu, I'd love to see a pic of what you've joined so far!

:manyheart thank you for the kind words - working with this hook on this project was a special crochet experience I won't forget... and I do miss the hook already :( but I know Sissie and everybody in line after her will do marvelous things with it, so it's all good! :hook

I have the hook ready to mail back out this morning and I do not have an address! I Email jimmie when i recieved it and the person it is going to next But I have heard nothing back.

What do i do?

I know I'm jumping the gun on this, but I'm kinda excited that the hook is getting closer to me. *on proverbial teeterhooks!*

I'm next on the list after Melissa_Crochets, but I might be off-line for the next 4-5 days, in case anyone is looking to contact me for address info. So I thought I'd let y'all know.

another month and I will get my hands on this little baby! YEAH! Can't wait. But then again I know I will have to buy one of these hooks when I am done. lol. oops there went my allowance for the month huh? :) Nikki

Good afternoon everyone, The hook has left my home and on it's way:cheer

And so is my square heading to Jimmie's, I might be the only one here but I am sorry to say that was the hardest square I have ever made! It took everything I had to finnish it with the hook! maybe it is because I hold my hook different than other people but my fingures were not in the right place:(

But I am glad I was a part of this Thank you for letting me in on this:hug

Are there NO PICTURES??? :eek

:cheer It's getting closer every day!!! Yay Yay Yay!!!

I finally got my squares in the mail to Jimmie Lu :think - I foolishly forgot to copy her address out of the hook's journal packet before I sent it on to Sissie - fortunately for me, Sissie kindly gave me the address, so now it's on its way.

I'm just so glad that the 'ville is back up!

Deb I was starting to wonder that myself. Things are a bit slow everywhere I think? due to kiddos going back to school I know I needed to paint 40 tubes for a kids klub project I thought was next week and surprise to me it is tonight. So where oh where is thet beautiful hook?

Archived