Traveling Hook! Hookin for heart patients! READ POST 269/270

Jimmie Lu

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what is a Jimbo hook?

A Jimbo hook is a crochet hook hand made from a tree branch. In fact most of my hooks are made from branches that trees on my old homestead property donate specifically for hook making.

I make them according to specific grip styles in an effort to fit the grip to the user's hand.

The proceeds from the sale of my hooks go toward construction of a cabin for my family on the place. So its kind of like a partnership between the trees on the ranch and me. The trees donate the hook blank and i help them become hooks. You can see more in my blog.

Folks seem to like them, so i guess i'll keep on whittling away.

http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the encouragement Jimmie. And you know what? When i started thinking about selling hooks, the idea was to have folks send me sticks from trees that were special to them, and that they'd like to have made into heirloom hooks. Mythunderbird sent me some special willow for hooks, and i did some for her. But since then nobody's seemed too interested. Now the traveling hook is way special, as its made from the old apple tree on the ranch where my sis and i played as little kids. So yeah send me your stick, i'd love to make you a hook from it if i can.

Best is to find a branch that's still on the tree/bush that's dead but not cracked. Find a shape that's about twice the diameter of the hook you want, and that kind of fits your hand as you'd like. Cut it an inch or so longer than the length you'd like. Check for pith (the soft core some branches have) if its soft, it won't do unless there is enough hard wood around the pith to make a hook. How's that. But what really makes it wonderous is if you can pick a tree/bush that means someting special to you. There's magic in some of those sticks! The apple tree that made the traveling hook is a good example.

ok.. i'll quit bending the thread after this, but if you're thinking of making a hook, you might follow along in my blog. I'm showing the steps i take to make a hook.

Ok now back to traveling hook stuff. Sorry for the twist in the thread.

Jimbo, just thought I'd throw in that I love looking at your hooks on your blog. They look fabulous, and so extremely smooth. I look forward to working with the travelling hook. Most definitely!

Hi, all, the hook arrived just fine yesterday, love the journal entries! Off to make my own.....

:hook (Mrs. P - love your squares! colors and workmanship look just grand):cheer

Thank you all for the kind words about my squares! I sent the traveling hook to Pplcrochets last week and the squares to Jimmie Lu. Have either of you got them yet?

Sorry, I just went back and saw that the hook was recieved! Is't it a fantastic crochet hook!

.....saw that the hook was recieved! Is't it a fantastic crochet hook!
You bet! I mentioned the journal and forgot to rave about the hook. I have a knife hold, and it is curved just so, with a perfect spot for my thumb. Just beautiful to touch and see.

Yes Mrs P I got the sqs today also.

Great project thus far

Jimbo I knew this thread would bend like a crochet hook soon with everyone trying the hook I knew theyd love it so gladly sell away!!!

Hi, all!

Worked up my first square with the awesome Jimbo hook! I kept it simple, as this is the first 12" square I've ever done (kind of figured a traditional granny would be appropriate). I have two questions, though; one, is this yarn (Caron Rainbow Dreams Tradewind, ww acrylic) suitable for our color scheme? It has more blue in it than I realized when I started out. (As you can see, I couldn't resist sneaking the hook into the pic - it's just so attractive!)

T_Hook5Aug064CRs.jpg

and two, how can I keep the hook from binding? I must be doing something wrong, as it seems way too hard to slide the loops over the hook back and forth. The hook is so comfortable to hold that there must be something I can do to fix the binding problem?

(Edited: come to think of it, I think this is the first granny square I've made - no wonder I couldn't figure out the border right...)

....I didn't realize there was a certain color scheme?.....
I think we're trying to stick with autumn colors?

thanks for the kind words! It's a little "wonky" (a technical term that fits perfectly), but I wasn't about to frog it anymore after the 5th attempt! :hookHas anybody else found that the final border round of dc'ing into each dc and chain-1 sp makes the edge begin to ruffle? I tried skipping the third stitch of each 3-dc group; too small, edge cupped (=9 fewer stitches per side as compared to using every stitch that made it ruffle). Then, tried various permutations inbetween - the version I finally used skipped all but three of the 3rd dc's in each side. If I did it again, I think I'd add one more stitch to make it four added stitches per side, since the border still cupped slightly.

I find that with 12 inch squares, you just get WONK. There is no stopping it... it just happens. :( Thankfully, once joined, they seem to straighten out.

I LOVE :manyheart the colors you used Patricia! I am now craving a trip to the LYS to get some fallish colors.. just like that.

;) o0O(wishing that someone - hint hint - would take a picture of the finished squares all together.. so we could seeeeee. :devil )

:hook

Patricia,

colors look great! I like your square. I too realized I never made a granny square after I joined this group. It is really odd to be crocheting for the past 6 years and not to have done something as little as a square. It was a learning experience.

Don't worry---WONK happens! The wonk will disappear when it's joined with the other squares. Good work for your first granny ever! That looks a lot like one of the colors I used. My feeling is that blue counts as an autumn color because the sky is always so clear and blue!

Yeah, it's a rationalization, but a really good one!

Hi, all!

T_Hook5Aug064CRs.jpgand two, how can I keep the hook from binding? I must be doing something wrong, as it seems way too hard to slide the loops over the hook back and forth. The hook is so comfortable to hold that there must be something I can do to fix the binding problem?

Sorry for not responding to this sooner, but it took some head scratching and maybe a forehead slap or two to come up with an answer.

I think its a case of traveling hook jet lag. Maybe you can sooth its little tummy by rubbing the shank with a soft cotton cloth. Polish it up a bit and it should smooth out just fine (I hope).

Beautiful square! Perfect colors! Sorry for the trouble though.

Jimbo

Thanks, Jimbo! You know, I think it's the yarn. The next square I made, I also used some Caron simply soft, and that yarn just glided off the hook. So the vari (Caron Natura Rainbow Dreams Tradewind) is somewhat coarse. I also tried rubbing the shank with some waxed paper; helped some. I'll also try the soft cotton cloth - sounds like a good idea. Still love the hook!

Archived