Lion Brand Website

AuntyM

Love their free patterns! However today I wasn't able to access them! Now you have to register (free) to download their free patterns. When did that happen? Used to be you could just go on the website and print out the patterns.

Any idea why they are requiring people to register first?

Lionbrand has been asking people to start doing that for about a month.

I guess they want people to be eligible for prizes...I say skip the prizes (so there can be less hassle.) :)

I had to switch CPC over to a new system...now a plus sign appears before a pattern where you have to register first.

The requirement for registration is probably related to market research. From their privacy policy, it appears that they will not give your email address to any other company. You can check out their Privacy Policy before you register if you have concerns about how they might use the information you give them during registration.

Ga-Rebel, that's probably because you already are. :) You only have to register once and LB places a cookie on your computer. As long as you don't delete the cookie, you should then be able to go straight to the patterns from then on. If you lose the cookie, the system won't recognise you and you'll have to re-register.

AuntyM, Rachel and Amy are both right (of course!)

Lion Brand explained why they introduced registration in their April newsletter. It said:

Registering for Free Patterns

Lion Brand will be introducing several new features to our Web site over the coming months. A number of these features will be customized for each user based on where they live. In order to effectively offer these new customized services, we ask our users to complete a one-time registration form when accessing the free patterns.

Why register?

By registering, you will have access to our current database of over 1,000 free patterns and about 200 new specially created designer patterns each year. PLUS you will become eligible for a monthly free prize drawing. There is no cost for registration and rest assured that we will never share your information with anyone.

Hope that helps and remember to hang on to your cookie! :)

Another reason they may be requiring a password is to limit stealing of bandwidth. People would sometimes link to their pictures (not here, just in general) in their webpages (to show what the pattern looked like). I've had cases where I put the password and id on my page for people to use, but it deters these sorts of links.

Once I registered at LB, I've had no problems at all in accessing. :-)

I was suprised by the requirement as well. I had been a memeber for quite a while and received their newsletter. Then all of sudden to see the free patterns I had to register again. It even told me that though I was a member I still needed to register for the patterns.

Amy (yarnaholic) is probably right, it is a standard marketing thing these days.

Archived