I think I've overdone my yarnstash as well...

So... I know for most of you, this is going to be a small number... but for me... this is HUGE and I feel WAY over my head! I just counted "my stash" a minute ago, and I have 88 skiens of yarn... just a couple of weeks ago... I had like 62.. that's 20+ skiens in two weeks! EEEEH!! :eek Sooooo... I just made a vow to myself! I'm going to make something with HALF of it! lol

I know I have enough yarn to do these projects: 2 ripple afghans, plenty of animals consisting of another duck, lion, bears (I know of 6 to make), giraffe, rabbit, monkey, horse, cow, dog, cat, and anything else I can think of.. I have to make 6 purses out of it, another baby blanket, and an apron. But that's not even half...

Any ideas?

Check out the crochet for charity threads. Ro has one for lovies for Pass Christian Children, there's one for skull caps for cancer patients, there are also a couple for preemies (good for using up small amounts of left over yarn). Animals, kids, hospice, a little of everything!

Or find a local group in your area that takes hats, scarves, mittens, etc. They would be happy to get your treasures. And it is a nice feeling to make something someone will definately use. It is fun to make things for others.

Linda:cheer

how about making yourself a nice throw? a huge blanket for your bed I am into throws at the moment but may be biased.

Making hats and scarves is a good idea, or even crocheting baby blankets for the local maternity hospital as loads of babies all over the world never have a crocheted blanket so much warmer than fleece xxx

good luck with your decision xxx

It's not about having a lot of yarn, it's about hiding it well enough that you forget about it until you need it. Consider the nooks and crannies in your home. Sure, it may make the pillow a bit lumpy but stuff your accent pillows with some of your skeins. :D Hide it behind the books on your bookshelf. What about tucking it away under a guest bed? All kinds of places, really..

I feel your pain.

I bought 2 tubs at Lowes the other day. I figured I would put all my yarn in one and use the other for some storage of other things. Ha ha ha. I couldnt fit all my yarn in both tubs. Ive got 2 huge totes full, the 2 storage tubs, and another small tote. That does not include the box I keep my cotton for dishcloths in and the bag that I carry several WIP's around with me.

As I was putting it all in the box, I realized that I way underestimated how much I have. I am not allowing myself to buy more until I use up some of what Ive got. Good thing Ive got lots of projects in mind!

I have to admit I have too much yarn, too. I decided to not buy any more yarn until June, 10, and I am on the yarn diet for over a week now. I know, it does not sound too impressive, but it is a start. I am counting yarn balls I am using since the yarn diet started. I finished two projects since then, and used a lot of yarn, but I am not telling how many :)

y'all talk about tubs and totes...i've got a closet that's got floor to ceiling shelves and they're FULL!!!! as soon as i get the last of the shelves up (i mis measured and need hubby to get my saw out for me...to heavy for me to lift) i'll take a photo and show.

I've thought of a "yarn diet," too, but every time I do, I come across yet another pattern I just HAVE to make, that requires that I buy more yarn. After my current WIPs are done, I may just concentrate on making squares for charity afghans. I certainly have enough yarn for that...

I wish I could blame my overflowing stash on yummy patterns, but I have to admit it's sales that get me. I see a sale and I figure that this is the best price I'll find on (insert name of favorite yarn here) and buy several lbs in each color..... I can report some success, though, in narrowing down the lines of yarn I stock :eek to Homespun and Caron simply soft, purchased as mill end pound bags. I still have to use the "stuff pillows, under guest beds, etc" methods to distribute the stash all over the house in order to avoid freaking out my dh. :lol

The other thing that expands my stash, too, is when I go to a yarn store and I see some new type of yarn...I always have to buy "just one skein" to try it out. I can't tell you how many of THOSE I have in my stash. Even if the yarn turns out to be a turkey, I can't bring myself to throw it out <LOL>.

lol.. yeah... so, I started this thread complaining about having too much yarn and not enough ideas in mind for it... yeah... I bought more! Ugh.. I'm not good at a "yarn diet" as you guys have called it lol! :lol

I could photograph the horrific mess i call 'the closet threw up' and post that! it really is all over the floor...and still in the closet on shelves! if i have time i'll show you that!

:heehee

When I met Mr. Right, I had no idea his first name was Always... Rita Rudner

Reecie, not only is that line very funny, so is the description of your yarn stash.

But it's soooo fun to buy! I've been saying I'm going to destash, and I guess I have a little, but in reality I love my stash, and I love watching it grow! I'm probably more of a crocheter against stash busting than anything!

I THINK IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT WE ARE ALL GUILTY OF BEING YARN JUNKIES. NO, NO HEAR ME OUT. WHEN WE GO TO WAL-MART OR WHEREEVER IT IS WE BUY YARN WE DON'T JUST BUY ENOUGH TO DO THE PROJECT WE WILL BE WORKING ON. WE SEE A COLOR WE HAVE NOT WORKED WITH YET, THERE'S A SALE ON A PARTICULAR BRAND. THERE ARE SO MANY REASONS . AND I WILL BE THE FIRST TO ADMIT TO BEING ONE. SOME CALL IT YARNOHOLIC BUT I SEE IT AS BEING A YARN JUNKY NOT A BAD HABIT BUT A GOOD ONE.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I certainly fit into the yarn junkie category:blush I'm a firm believer that I can never have too much yarn. The more I have, the better I feel. I am always short on certain colors, so, of course, I MUST go out and buy more! I think that I would have to say that MY closet has pooped out all the yarn....because I have piles here, there, and everywhere. LOL.....and I love it :hook

Stash! Stash! Stash! Have I got some Stash!! :yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn No, I haven't counted it, but I know I have PLENTY! Much of it was donated for charity projects (and I use it for that) and the other is yarn I've mostly gotten on sale! I went on a yarn (and book) diet from January to March! I used up quite a bit of my stash during that time and have decided to continue on as the year goes on! I am REALLY curious how many will be GONE by then! So far I've used 135 skeins!

As for how to use up your stash . . . you can make hats, scarves, squares (for afghans), booties, etc. I also make granny's daughters (the little starting round that you get a granny square going with) and put those aside for future squares! I use every little bit! ;)

Archived