I'm in so much TROUBLE!!!!

Guest Catlizg

Guest Catlizg

I decided it was time for me to graduate to some better yarns for certain projects and found out there was a yarn store in the next town over. With a name like The Wooly Lamb how could I possibly resist going? My daughter and I trotted off to East Aurora (in Western NY) this morning. I wanted to pick up a really nice yarn to make a purse for DD, my sister and myself. I'm using the same pattern, but wanted different color yarns for each of us.

To make a long story short - I walked into Wooly Lamb and went absolutely NUTS. What a fabulous, incredible, outstanding selection. It is so different from shopping at Joann's or A.C. Moore. Not that those stores don't carry some really nice yarns, but this is an absolutely totaly different shopping experience. Each yarn was nicer than the next.

I ended up spending a small fortune on yarn for my sis and daughter's purses - hand dyed, variegated and solid, cotton for sis, wool blend for DD. Decided to wait until I worked on theirs before I go back to pick out yarn for me.

Well, the minute I got home, of course, I had to start on the project right away. Now I know what you're all talking about. The difference in working with high quality yarn is absolutely unbelievable and it is worth every single penny. Of course, for most projects my standard cotton, thread or blends are fine, but for those special things - I'm sold. I had them add me to their mailing list. I'm so excited about "graduating," but am really glad I waited until my skills were better. The purses are turning out beautifully and will be pieces we each keep for years.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. I listened and learned. Today - it paid off.

Oh my goodness, the same exact thing happened to me this past Friday. There is a store in my town called "It's a Stitch" - I called them on Friday to see if they carried any Bernat Cotton Tots yarn. She basically didn't know what I was talking about. It had me a bit worried but I told her I would come out anyway and see her selection.

OMG - when I got there, I felt like I was a kid in a candy store!!! I spent no less than about 45 minutes there looking at all the different yarns they had available. I was mesmerized but all of it. And I had quite the sticker shock when I saw the prices on some of this stuff. $30 - $40 a skein??? How could anyone ever afford that???

But I was good and walked out with two beautiful purple skeins of cotton yarn, they were $6 for 100 yards, but when I got it back to the house and started using it? It was like I was on a different planet!!! What a joy it is to work with it. A completely different experience.

The shop is about 45 minutes from my house, but I work in that area about once a month, so I told them I would be visiting much more often!!!

That's how I felt when I went to Griffins. So much neat yarn but the price. My lord! I just cannot see spending that kind of money! We do actually have a little yarn store in town that I haven't meandered over to yet. (It's on the side of town I never happen to go) but I'm quite sure I won't buy much there as over a year ago I called to see if they had any Lustersheen and it was over $6 a skein...

Don't feel bad! It's nice to splurge once in a while esp. if you're making something for someone. I love just going into LYS's and just feeling and eyeing all the pretty colors wishing I could buy them all! But hey, that's the fun part, looking at the bill :eek may not be, but it's so worth it! hehe...

I decided it was time for me to graduate to some better yarns for certain projects and found out there was a yarn store in the next town over. With a name like The Wooly Lamb how could I possibly resist going? My daughter and I trotted off to East Aurora (in Western NY) this morning.

Well now, you must not be too far from me! I live in Springville.... I am glad I don't go to East Aurora very often or I sure would be in trouble too! I would like to go and look around, I have never been to a Local Yarn store (unless Wal-mart, Dollar Tree, A.C. Moore, and Joann's count)

Thanks for letting me know about the LYS that's actually near me! Well, closer than going to the city anyway (Buffalo)

Tina

When I make gifts for friends and family, I always buy the more expensive yarns. I have paid as much as $13.00 a skein and would use two yarns at the same time to make a scarf, and I have to say, they are just beautiful. I receive so many compliments on my scarves and I know its not because of the stitch I use (dc thoughout), its because of the beautiful yarns I buy - Its worth it!!! :cheer :cheer

Archived