Idea help

My niece is expecting her first baby, and her mom and I are throwing her a shower. I want to make favors, and thought I could crochet something cute for giveaways. When she got married I was into ceramics and made vases for everyone. I filled them with flowers and used the as a centerpiece, and then everyone took them home. I want to do something cute with crochet, but something that can be used. Any ideas?

How about crocheting lacey covers in pink and blue to go over sweet smelling votive candles, you could add little tiny baby bottles or booties to carry out the baby shower feeling.

those are good ideas.

I was thinking little crochet baskets, but people don't use them and then feel funny about throwing them away. People like candles and I can crochet covers and tie them with baby ribbon and a charm.

I like the little basket idea, and also cotton potholders in the colors of the party, and maybe the date of the party and the name of the mother-to-be could be embroidered on them, depending on how much work one would want to put in to them.

Or maybe edged handkerchiefs and hand towels. (But, they have to be hung up to dry and ironed.) Electric drying ruins that lovely edging.

Actually, Gran, that's a good idea too! I went to a baby shower once where they gave out kitchen towels, and I thought that was odd, but its the one shower "favor" that I actually used and liked. Cotton potholders could be an easy and useable project.

Have you seen the cupcake pincushions???? Instead of a candle on top, a little bottle or rattle would be cute ..... and the pincushion is very useful. Everyone has small balls of scrap yarn, which is perfect for this project. They'd could be used on a dessert table or scattered around the gifts. The patern is free ...... I don't know how to insert a link but the pattern is under "Pincushions" on Crochet Pattern Central.

crochetcupcakes7kw.jpg

:think Baby-themed potholders or dishcloths? I know that I recently saw someone displaying these dishcloths shaped like little clothes, very cute.

If you give out potholders, you can make the 'one in the oven' pun. :lol Here are some I would consider...

Baby Bootie Potholder (they call it a Christmas stocking, but see for yourself)

Heart Potholder

Dress Potholder

Another Heart Potholder

A Ruffled Hat (for grabbing lids)

A Little Shirt (could perhaps be altered to look more onesie-like?)

A Sunbonnet (could perhaps be altered to look more baby-bonnet like)

Or, you could make potholders that look like little baby blankets (squares edged in ruffles), or plain potholders with a baby related fridgie sewn to one corner...eh, hope this helps you.

Oh yay! More great ideas!

Those cupcakes are adorable and would look really cute as decorations during the shower.

And that Sunbonnet potholder is beautiful!!!

Thanks!

How about if you crochet a wash cloth, in baby colors, fold it into a diaper. You could buy big diaper pins to close (one for each). You could fill the diaper with a bar of special soap, or shower gel.

I've seen a small tea napkin folded as a diaper, in a triangle shape and fasten with a little gold pin ....... but what made it so cute was the (unwrapped) tootsie roll inside!

I'm a stick in the mud. Cute as some of that is, I agree with whoever said that baskets won't be used. I wouldn't use it, dust colletor. I also wouldn't used a baby themed potholder since my kitchen isn't baby themed. I feel the same about the pin cusion. If you make it, stick a sucker or something else in it rather than a rattle.

I think the fridgie idea is good.

How about lip balm holders with lip balm in them:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/keychain.html

http://www.angelfire.com/home/bobbiescrochet/lighter.html

http://www.geocities.com/rainlm/chapstick.htm

These teacups are cute and you could add a candle (not to be burned in them unless there's a votive holder), candies, soaps, or flowers. While it is along the lines of a basket, it's updated and if they have kids the kids can play with them.

http://www.christinesflowers.com/christines_teacup.html

Book marks are always nice and easy:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/bookmarks.php

Just my thoughts. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great ideas!

We decided on bookmarks. We're going to have a book shelf shower - each guest will bring a board book and sign it for the baby, and then they bookmarks will be favors. I had planned to make Cupcakes gorgeous bookmark, but its bit sophisticated for a baby theme so I'm working on these. They're easy to make and with the beads they look "baby" while still being useable.

15344317908_0_ALB.jpg

Archived