Repetitive Strain Injury

I know that Donna is having surgury for Carpal Tunnel today, and that many of you have also experienced this. I've been crocheting a lot every night and I use the computer at work all day. Recently I've been having pain. It stated in the palm of my hand and I thought I had strained my crochet muscle. It's getting worse. I know have pain just above my wrist on the inside of my arm.

From what I've read, this is not where I should have pain, but I don't want to let it develop into something. I ordered a gel wrist support for my work computer, but the thought of not crocheting horrifies me.

Does this sound like RSI, and if so, I'd appreciate advice from those of you who have experienced this sort of problem.

Thanks!

I got carpel tunnel while doing my degree in university. My doctor gave me a brace, which helped at night, but even more effective were the exercises that he showed me.

1) Holding your arm up, spread all of your fingers out (in a 5) very tight, then make a very tight fist. Do this with the muscles in your hand flexed repeatedly for a count of 10.

2) Holding your arm up, spread all of your fingers out (in a 5) very tight, a rotate your hand on your wrist clockwise for a count of 10, then counterclockwise for a count of 10. Then do the same thing holding your hand in a tight fist.

The most important part is to really tense the muscles in your hand and wrist, while doing the exercises. Do this a couple of times a day and you'll notice a difference. Also, try to do them before crocheting and after.

I bought a brace at WalMart, with the metal that runs through it. I wear it overnight. Mine sometimes makes my elbow feel like it's humming. :lol

If you can, go see your doctor about it. I was in the middle of a full-courseload summer quarter and ignored my pain until it was just about crippling before I went. It took me that much longer to be able to do stuff again.

I literally couldn't open jars, could only use the computer for 5 mins at a time, and was in pain quite a lot. Crochet then would've been out of the question, but now I can crochet with minimal problems because I did what my doctor told me to.

Thanks.

I'm going to make an appt.

Hubby wants me to take a break from crochet and I'm already whining about it! He compromised that I can do 45 minutes a day! :eek:

I will ask my doc and I'll try those exercises.

Thanks!

Hi worm! I'm like you. I started having pain in my right wrist near the outer knuckle three weeks ago. Now it radiates into my arm and fingers. I've stopped all crochet and am wearing one of those steel braces but it doesn't seem to help much. When we get back to Maryland next week, I'll have to see the Doc. BTW, crocheting just kept making it worse so beware...:(

I have had the pain in the hand, and infact, two of my fingers go numb and I drop my hook.

I have been wearing the brace with the metal running through it at night for about 3 years now. I also, when my hand starts to bother me, is wear a wrap around my writs that has magnets in it. This seems to help somewhat. But, when it does get really bad, I have to put down my corchet hook.

Sorry, but it is either that or an operation. The Dr. also told me to wear the braces with the metal, during the day and even when I am crocheting. That sure doesn't work.:hook

Oh Mary Jo, I didn't know you have this problem too. I hate to hear that it seems like an ongoing thing... I was hoping it would heal and then go away. I might try that magnet thing because this splint doesn't really seem to help at all. I wear it night and day now. I don't think I have CT since the problem is on the outside of my wrist instead of the flat part.:think

I'll give those exercises a try. The one (self-developed) that helps me is to interlock my fingers and then turn my hands so the palms face outward. With my arms outstretched, I push my interlocked hands away from myself, which opens up and stretches my inner wrists.

The important thing is not to wait with the exercises until the pain is bad. I try to remember to exercise at the least hint of pain.

I got carpel tunnel while doing my degree in university. My doctor gave me a brace, which helped at night, but even more effective were the exercises that he showed me.

1) Holding your arm up, spread all of your fingers out (in a 5) very tight, then make a very tight fist. Do this with the muscles in your hand flexed repeatedly for a count of 10.

2) Holding your arm up, spread all of your fingers out (in a 5) very tight, a rotate your hand on your wrist clockwise for a count of 10, then counterclockwise for a count of 10. Then do the same thing holding your hand in a tight fist.

The most important part is to really tense the muscles in your hand and wrist, while doing the exercises. Do this a couple of times a day and you'll notice a difference. Also, try to do them before crocheting and after.

It's scary that so many crochet people are suffering. I never had a problem until recently - and I crochet everynight after work. On Sunday I really overdid it. I wanted to make my felted bag and I literally crocheted all day to make it. When I finished, I made some bookmarks. It's been painful since. I can't stand not crocheting for a few days. :( I just got a new book. guess I'll need to get absorbed with that for a few days.

My wrist problems came from using the computer too much. I was diagnosed with severe tendonitis instead of Carpal Tunnel btw.

I guess too much of anything, be it using the computer, or crochet, can be bad for your health.

I was told, that you can get this problem from any thing you do constantly. In other words, Crocheting, working on a computer, knitting are just to name a few.

I did not mean to give the impression I have worn this brace at night all all of the three years. I wear it when I am in pain or if my hands go numb. It has been 3 years on and off.

I also wear one of those braclets that you can buy in the malls, that have magnets in them. They at least look pretty. You know, they are in those booths in the center of the mall.

Main thing, is to see a Dr.:hook

I bought a wrist support today, and I'll call for a doctor appt. I spend my life either on the computer or crocheting. I'm feeling withdrawl symptoms already. I re-arranged my desk at work to make it easier on my wrist - I think that my office set up here is as big a problem as the crochet.

The pathetic thing is that the thought of not crocheting has me in a really depressed funk. :(

I have recurrent tendonitis in my thumb & wrist up to my elbow (sometimes). So I know how frustrating it is to have pain from doing something you enjoy. If it is work related also, that just doubles the discomfort I imagine!

I tried the NSAID route (anti-infammatories) & still take Mobic but what helped a lot was a cortisone shot. They are pretty painful to get but they are more benefit than pills in my experience. You may want to see an Ortho Dr if pain continues to bother you from work & crochet. Exercises are helpful also as well as wearing a splint brace (mine is a thumb abducted one the Dr ordered which makes crochet very difficult lol).

Good Luck with it. RSI sucks especially concerning a hobby that you do not want to give up. I guess golfers elbow & tennis elbow is just as frustrating for those that want to continue those activities.

I have tendonitis, mainly brought on by computer use, but also the combo of that and crocheting.

This is what I had to do to get better...

I found I had to initially rest the arm as much as possible, which meant no crocheting, excessive computer use, for three weeks. After that, I used a brace at night (I was told not to use a stiff brace to use the computer or to crochet) and one of those soft Handeze Therapeutic Craft Gloves http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82328&PRODID=11754 for daytime activities (I ended up having to use two, as both arms were affected).

I also called personnel and had them come to my desk at work. Come to find out, the ergonomics of my workstation were all WRONG. I began to feel better once they fixed that.

The other thing I did was to put a program on my PCs called RSIGuard (you can find it on-line). It stops you when you've been keyboarding too long...I find it's a Godsend, as I tend to get carried away typing and mousing.

Finally, the other thing I did (which was the toughest), was to move my mouse to the left and mouse with my left hand. It was hard initially, but it has DRASTICALLY cut down the strain in my right hand/wrist, which was the worst of the two. You get used to mousing with the "wrong" hand.

I know it's hard to make changes, but just keep reminding yourself you're doing it so that you can keep crocheting! :D

I don't have carpal tunnel yet but I do have repetitive strain syndrome. I work for an orthopedic hand surgeon and he has given me exercises (similiar to the ones mentioned here). I also get cortisone shots about every 4 months. They make my hands and wrists hurt for about 5 days and then I'm good to go again:clap . I also have a brace for both hands (which I only wear for the 5 days after the injections). I am finding that after being on the computer all day at work and then crocheting for a few hours every night my symptoms are increasing. As much as I hate it,:angry I have to give my hands a break and take a couple days off from crocheting. From what I have seen if you're not careful this will develop into carpal tunnel or de'Quervains syndrome:eek . The bright side is that having either of these conditions surgically released it very simple now days. You can have surgery on Friday and be back to work (or crocheting:hook ) by Monday.

I guess even crocheting should be done in moderation.

:hug :hug :hug :hug :cheer:manyheart :manyheart :manyheart i am just curious as to how you ladies hold our hook, i hold mine like a knife and while the doc thought i would get carpel tunnel from it, he and i are mildly suprised that since i crochet the other way, they stopped hurting me as much, just a thought hope ya all feel better

I've often wondered about the "right" way to hold my hook. I don't think I hold it correctly, but I don't have a hook with me now (I'm at work) and can't describe it. I do seem to move my hand a lot when I crochet.

I didn't crochet last night, and its depressing.

I think I use a knife grip...anyway, I hold it with my thumb outstretched on the hook between thumb & index finger. Then with twist & turn of hook, it stresses my thumb, index finger & wrist...sometimeseven my elbow feels the strain.

Here are some hand exercises I use.

http://www.handhealth.com/ffchallenge.asp (quick video demos)

http://www.stretchnow.com.au/exercises/hands.htm

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_xwristte_art.htm

Having been in PC support working at a helpdesk for the past 6 years now, I've had to be careful about this. I played piano for 10 years when I was younger, then started playing with a computer as soon as I hit college, so I've always been really "hands-on." Now with a crochet needle in hand, it won't get any easier, haha.

What I do is to make a point to stretch my hand several times a day. A small item I bought has made a lot of difference for me both at home and at work: this beanbag wrist cushion. (Bought mine at CompUSA. I don't see it on thee company's page linked up there, but the "ergoBeads StressBall" would serve part of the same purpose. I bought the wrist pad to also prevent stress on my wrist when at the keyboard.) Gripping and kneading one of these a few times a day when typing too much, or after crocheting for a while, has made an amazing amount of difference to my hand. There's something about the beads that is not quite like a regular bean bag.

A massage may help relax those muscles in your arm. You have two you use a lot to crochet called pronater and supinater. They are what rolls your hand. Rest, elevation and Ice are also very good for it. Nikki

Archived