Yarn Mate

Desiree

Has anyone seen this? It's called a Yarn Mate. There is a hole at the top where the yarn thread comes out. It has a handle on top and comes in two sizes. This one is the small, so a skein of yarn won't fit right in it, I'm not complaining. I'll just go and get the larger size, so then I'll have two. To prevent my yarn from getting dirty and cat hair on it I have been using ziplock bags. My husband bought it for me for Mothers Day. He got it at Wal-Mart in Slidell,LA. It was $7.44.:)

YarnMate.jpg

Desireé

I saw it and I think it's a great idea, but I also think it's a bit expensive. I almost bought a few until I saw the price. I think that you could buy plastic containers at the dollar store, drill a hole in the lit - line it with a rubber washer and make these for much cheaper.

But....if someone bought me one of these, I'd be thrilled because I do think they're great.

I saw two sizes at Walmart this week, a skein size and a smaller one to hold balls of thread or 'cakes' from a ball winder. At $8 apiece (I think, yarn dept was a mess) that seemed a bit much for my budget, when a plastic ziplock bag fits right into my workbag or tote much more easily.

I saw these at my local walmart tonight. I think they're a neat idea, but I'm naughty... I'd rather spend the money on yarn and use shopping bags. :hook

A group of teens trashed the yarn department and I think they left when they saw me coming. They were very noisy moving away. Balls were all moved around, skeins stretched into non-normal shapes, and ends pulled out all over the place.

I moved all the yarn to the proper locations, and notified the department worker that it had been messed up and that ends were pulled out and stuff. :angry

Yes, I saw them and almost bought them myself til I saw the price. For a plastic container with a hole in the lid? Talk about making tons of money on us... Yeah, I would much rather buy yarn with my $8 than a container. I think I'll have my hubby make me one for about 50 cents! :hook

I have something like that, but it is called a yarn barn. It does not have a handle. That is great if you are only using one color of yarn.

This is what I purchased in December, for about $5.00 at Lowe's. I am sure any of the stores carry them. It has a handle, and my Dh put the holes in the top, so I can pull the yarn through. It even works great with thread and you can store everything in it as you are working.:hook

th_NewYearsToy.gif (clickable)

I saw these at my local walmart tonight. I think they're a neat idea, but I'm naughty... I'd rather spend the money on yarn and use shopping bags. :hook

A group of teens trashed the yarn department and I think they left when they saw me coming. They were very noisy moving away. Balls were all moved around, skeins stretched into non-normal shapes, and ends pulled out all over the place.

I moved all the yarn to the proper locations, and notified the department worker that it had been messed up and that ends were pulled out and stuff. :angry

That was so nice of you!!!

I can relate to seeing yarn trashed. When I worked at Michaels, the yarn was a never ending battle. Especially the fun fur and novelty yarns. I would usually spend at least 1 day a week devoted to un-knotting and putting back on the shelves messed up skeins. 1/2 of the time we would have to damage them all out which cost a lot of money to the store to do. I had suggested just putting out swatches of the problem yarns and bagging the rest but they wouldn't do it. They still have problems with their bins.

I do agree about the price. I asked my husband how much it was, but he didn't know, so I looked at the receipt. I was surprised because he is always looking for ways to save money.

I like eveyones ideas about using inexpensive containers and drilling your own holes in the lids. I did have some thoughts about doing something like that, but I also wanted something that would be easily fit in a tote.

My idea would be to have a lid with a hole and a slit, so you would be able to remove the yarn should you decide to work on something else. I know everyone has more than one project going, but what it you got bored working on something? Imagine a closet with shelves filled with containers of yarn that cannot be removed, unless you decided to frog the project.:lol I just might experiment with my idea.;) I am still thinking about making something that will easily fit in a tote. Something does come to mind, so I'll talk to ya'll later.:D

Happy Mothers Day To All

Desireé

If I'm not mistaken you can also use a 2 liter bottle to the same effect. I think you saw off the bottom, put the yarn in and reattach the bottom somehow. I saw a tutorial on it somewhere.

P.S. Just had my hubby make me one. He took one of the plastic containers from Folgers coffee and after washing it, drilled a hole in the lid and glued on a washer. Once it dries and I have a chance to try it out I'll let you know how it works. Didn't cost anything except a little bit of glue and a washer!

Has anyone seen this?

I bought something similar at JoAnn's yesterday. I don't remember the name of it. But it was $7.99. However, I had a forty percent off coupon. I think they're great for small projects.

My idea would be to have a lid with a hole and a slit, so you would be able to remove the yarn should you decide to work on something else. I know everyone has more than one project going, but what it you got bored working on something? Imagine a closet with shelves filled with containers of yarn that cannot be removed, unless you decided to frog the project.:lol

If I had a closet full of containers with yarn in it, I'd be more incline to finish my UFO's or frog them. I'd eventually run out of containers or closet space and say to myself, enough! Finish your projects! At least then my yarn would be more organized. Right now it's sitting in plastic bags.

Archived