crochet adult bib

sandyrepope

Question

I have a very sweet friend who is recovering from a stroke. She has trouble while eating. Her hands aren't as steady as they once were and sometimes she spills on her clothing. She tries to use a large paper napkin but that doesn't always work. I've been searching for something like a bib or clothing protector but haven't been able to find a pattern anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find a crochet pattern for this?

Thanks

19 answers to this question

I've got about 1/3 of one made and have found out that it's not working. It's turned out to be too heavy and it will also be too warm.

I've decided to find some kind of cloth and make a nice crochet border for it. I think this will work out better.

Thanks

I work in a nursing home and many of the residents use terry cloth bibs while eating. They are like towels with a binding sewn around the edge. I agree that that may feel very demeaning to some.

I was wondering about a shawl type cut. It could be made of terry cloth and edged or maybe some other fabric. But if it was designed as a shawl, it may give the wearer a little more dignity. I don't mean the triangle shaped shawl, but the mitered edge ones that offer the coverage in the front.

Medical personnel put bibs on my dad, and he didn't like putting one on. I bought chefs aprons for all of us to wear while eating with my dad (which he didn't mind using since we all had one on). It has to be so demeaning to be an adult and wear a bib.

I know this thread is old but I was just looking for an adult crocheted bib and found this and thought I'd post it. It's pretty basic but would probably work. I might use some different colors if I was making it.

I am thinking of wearing one so that I don't stain my clothes when I eat. I have a tendency to drip on my clothes sometimes since gaining a few lbs over the past couple of years.

http://www.crochetnmore.com/adultbib.htm

My 11-year old daughter, who has severe autism, goes to a respite care home once every 6 weeks, with other teenagers like herself. The home has a bunch of "bibs" for these kids to use, and they look like what I would call a hand towel, with a border around it.

I don't know if that's what YOU'D want to use, but I just wanted to throw that out there, that I've seen them and they are in use, I just don't know if they're handmade or if they buy them somewhere. I'd never seen them before my daughter started going there.

I would suggest, however, that if you were going to make something like this. that you make several, because they ARE a one-time-only-use-then-hafta-wash-it sort of thing.

You can order them from Carol Wright or Dr. Leonard's. They are made of a very heavy duty vynel in attractive plaids. Just type either of the above into your search engine.

I've made the rounds of the stores in my area and wasn't able to find anything which was decent and dignified to make the clothing protector. I've decided to go back to my original idea and make one for myself. That way I can use it and find out if it'll work.

Thanks

I like the idea of the oilcloth and a towel at first I throught of the towel but I made my grand baby one and when his ran his milk down his mouth it still got his clothes wet .remember your friend may want to take it with her if she dines out and she should .

I think that will be nice.

It must be hard when you are an adult and have to wear a "bib".

Your caring and thoughtfulness will mean so much to your friend.

Keep us posted.

Personally, I would not want an adult bib made from crochet or something that has to be possibly thrown in the washing machine after each meal. If it were me, I would make it out of oil cloth (table cloth material). It has a vinyl front and flannel backing. Table Cloth fabric can be bought by the yard at your local fabric shop, or you can just purchase a table cloth from the store that you like. That way the bib could be wiped cleaned after each use.

Just my two cents.

Donna

I would like to thank everyone for their replys. I think I have enough info to start making a clothing protector. (I would still appreciate more replys). I plan to make several since I think it would be a good idea if I were using one also.

Thanks

Let us know how you finally make it. And if you do that great crochet trim, post a picture for us. :)

You are a thoughtful friend.

I would like to thank everyone for their replys. I think I have enough info to start making a clothing protector. (I would still appreciate more replys). I plan to make several since I think it would be a good idea if I were using one also.

Thanks

How about an apron......on of those that go over the head and has a bib already attached? just a thought. Out of respect for the person who has to wear a 'bib', I think that I would rather call them aprons. I think that free patterns.com has a pattern for a crocheted apron, I will go check and then post the link here.

This is one that could be modified to fit anyone, by changing color and/or eliminating the fru-fru.

http://www.learntoknit.com/may05_apron.html

The towel is a good idea. There's a pattern in one of my books (Crochet Collection maybe?) for a baby bib made with a washcloth and a thread crocheted trim around the outside edge. For the closure, I'd suggest velcro because it's easier, faster, and requires less dexterity than a snap or button. If she's going to be putting it on herself, maybe you want to have the closure on the front shoulder instead of at the back of the neck (like this and maybe even a little lower). Here's a crochet pattern with a similar closure location. It's for a baby, but it would be super easy to adjust the size.:hug

I was just thinking . . . maybe no closure would be even better ~ just a square opening so it can be put on over the head.

That really is a great idea! My dad is only 69 but he has a very hard time eating without getting it on himself. (Always has) I think my mom would love something like this for him.

I'm wondering if you couldn't just make one with sugar n cream cotton yarn and take a generic baby bib and modify it to the right size?

They were made from a towel. Take the towel and round the ends on one end, cut a u shape on the old of the other end then take bias tape and sew along the edges. Once that is done put a snap or some type fastener on the ends by the cut out area.

I bet you could crochet along the edge of a pretty towel and make it a lovely handmade "adult bib" that she would be proud to wear. What a thoughtful gift you could make for her. Great idea. :hug

I don't have a crochet or knitting pattern for an adult clothing protector but I do know of a way to make them. I used to work in a home and we used the protectors. They were made from a towel. Take the towel and round the ends on one end, cut a u shape on the old of the other end then take bias tape and sew along the edges. Once that is done put a snap or some type fastener on the ends by the cut out area. I hope you can understand what I am saying...I am not that good at explaining something without a piece of paper and a pencil. If you don't understand but are interested in knowing more please email me with the title of clothing protector on the subject liine and I will send you an email back trying to answer what questions you might have.

Archived