Anybody here made any chemo caps?

Ok, dumb question but I need an answer!

One of my customers at work is a sweet elderly woman. She's going back in for chemo and will lose all her hair. (She's lost it twice now). She's such a nice lady so I wanted to make her a chemo cap. I have not made one and am curious to know how difficult they are and any suggestions you may have? Should I use Fun Fur or something else? I'd like to whip one up this weekend as after Tuesday I won't be able to crochet for awhile so I'd like to make one this weekend so I can give it to her the first of the month when she comes back in.

Any helps, tips tricks, etc would be greatly appreciated!!!

Well, I've never actually made chemo caps as the purpose they were intended for... but I've used the basis of the pattern to make hats for my children, and I can tell you that if you go with one of the really simple patterns (i.e. dc through the whole thing), you can EASILY get it done in one night.

Either that, or I'm a faster crochetererer than I thought! :hook

Chemo caps are just hats with soft yarn and less holes...so any pattern with good head coverage is perfectly fine.

I've never made any, but from what I've heard, the softer they are, the better. Other than that, they jsut look like regular hats/beanies. You could also make it using Fun Fur, but then line it with something on the inside to make it soft.

Now that's what I call real customer service! :) Good for you, Donna. I hope your friend comes through the chemo all right. What ever you make for her, I'm sure she'll appreciate it because it was made with love! :manyheart

Last year, Mom underwent chemo and couldn't bring herself to wear a wig (said she looked like Aunt Martha who sometimes didn't realize she was wearing hers backwards or upside down). I made her many hats, for dress-up, dress-down, even for night (sometimes her head got cold while she was sleeping), derbies, stocking caps, you name it. But her favorites were the "No Hair Day" hats made with fun fur. I knit them, but I think Lion's website has a crochet version. Any pattern will do for those, because you really can't see the stitches anyway. As others have said, they just need to be soft. NO KNOTS. Skin can become so sensitive during chemotherapy.

Mom got lots of compliments when she wore the fun fur hats, even from teenage boys. Lots of people thought that this 78 year old woman had died her hair fuschia, purple, or whatever the color was that day!

I've made tons of chemo hats. I'm sad to say I've been a wearer of hats myself due to breast cancer. On a happy note, I've been cancer free for almost 3 years and I was at Stage III when diagnosed. :cheer

Here's what I found from personal experience:

• machine wash/dry yarns - I was often too sick to handwash crocheted hats and since my hubby was doing laundry, something that would hold up in the wash was best (I lost a fave chemo cap that way)
  • I make a sample hat, wash it, then measure, then use this as the foundation for future hats. I find that hats tend to stretch a bit after being washed, even acrylic, (then they were no longer wearable).
  • No seams in the hats (hurts the scalp)
  • I preferred the cloche style hats (preferably the patterns that aren't really lacy with large holes). They look flattering when you have no hair.
  • Wool can be scratchy for some people
  • I loved simple caps - I wore these to bed at night (my scalp would get cold otherwise) and caps I could wear to bed were great since I had so many fancier ones to use during the day.
  • You know, we don't get Caron Simply Soft in Toronto but I felt it once and I think it would probably be a good yarn to use if you can get it. Not sure how it holds up in the wash thought but it was soft and acrylic.
  • This is my fav pattern. It looked good on anyone who wore it. I used an acrylic yarn rather than the chenille called for.

Hat style is a matter of personal taste. I was somewhat sensitive about losing my hair - it was once long and a source of pride for me. I really didn't like the fun fur hats as I felt they focused too much attention on me but, again, everyone is different.

I hope that helps.

Our local hospital recommends turban style hats made from soft yarn with no seams. I will often add a glamorous pair of earrings or brooch to the hat for decoration. I've found the more colorful the better....they are more cheerful.Pre-wash before giving, My rule of thumb is that if I wouldn't put it on a new-born( the Yarn) I'll not use it for chemo-hat

I have been thinking of trying to make a few chemo caps also. A client was recently rediagnosed w/ colon cancer (she'd beat it once before) and the guy I've recently been seeing lost his last girlfriend to cancer. Was talking to him about the caps last nite, actually, and he said what his g/f used to complain about w/ them was the colors. They were always in pastels. He also said that 1 of the other wmn in the hospital w/ her made the comment, "why can't they make them in like 'hot orange' or something".

SO, I was going to try to find some bright bold colors in soft yarn to try and make some up. Good luck w/ making them :).

Sandy

I have made a heap for a friend over the last 2 months who has got numerous brain tumours and the chemo was actually poisoning her, so they have had to stop now. Definately stay away from the fun fur. A lot of women are very self conscious of themselves and I think it may draw two much attention to them. Stick with a soft yarn. I made a couple with red heart that I had been raoked with. Keep it plain and go with this seasons colours that way the wearer still feels good and can wear them with anything in her wardrobe

Archived