Teaching crochet spreads LOVE (or addiction)

Hi, I'm still a newbie (been crocheting since December 2005), but I am completely addicted, and as a way of showing my appreciation (or some would say obsession) for this art, I started teaching my fellow student, a Chinese girl, how to crochet. She was a complete novice.

Well, what do you know, after a couple hours of sitting down and working on a baby afghan pattern, I think she is doing quite well, learning how to read instructions, doing a shell stitch, and is already hooked! She is actually looking forward to her 5-hour train ride tomorrow so she can work on this project some more.:D

I remembered reading somewhere in this section about the idea of doing the foundation chain and the first couple of rows for beginner students so they can get started on the easier part. I showed my friend how to do the foundation chain and the first row of sc and I had her practice a few on her own, but I finished them up for her quickly since we had 140 stitches per row. If I hadn't done that, we would never have gotten to the interesting pattern part. She was so excited to see those pretty shell stitches she was creating, which was a great motivation to keep going!

That was a GREAT idea, and whoever wrote about it, THANK YOU!:hug

There is a saying - "Each one teach two"

Teaching someone else to crochet is a good way to improve your own skills. It's wonderful that you're spreading the joy.

How wonderful that you have a great talent to share! You are truly blessed.

Linda:cheer

Archived