Summer purse?

Do you carry a different purse for summer than you do for winter? I don't usually but thought I might this year.

I'm in the mood to make my own purse from crochet this year to carry for summer. I've been looking at several websites haven't seen anything that trips my trigger yet. I thought I might try to make one with just two 8" granny squares on each side, crochet a gusset to go along each side and cross the bottom, maybe even work it all the way up to make the strap. Then line it and insert a zipper. How does that sound? Anyone done anything like that?

What do you think would make good summer colors for a purse?

I usually carry the same thrift store purse year-round, but I'm getting tired of that. I have one almost finished but decided it's too dark, so I'm going to save it for the Fall. Now I'm trying to figure out one for the summer, but I can't make up my mind about colors. As if I need another project.

Since all the purse patterns are out there, I have gone bonkers:eek I have made a whole bunch of purses. If I make a shrug, then I will make a matching purse. I just printed out a pattern for a granny square bag. It was made with 3 grannie. I think it was on the Happyghan site.

I used to switch purses a lot. Mostly because they would fall apart being cheapies. LOL

Then I got a couple expensives ones for gifts so I'd change when I got them.

I just made me a Fat Bottom Bag from the Happy Hooker book, though and I love it. It's burgandy which isn't a bad summer color. I am too leary of light colors, they get dirty easy.

I suggest getting that book if you haven't already. It has three other purses in it I want to make myself.

Thanks for all of your ideas. I can't wait to get started on one! I'd like to have it to take with me on vacation. I'm leaving May 20!! Going to Kentucky and Tennessee!

If we're going on vacation, I get a special purse out that is big and roomy has all these wonderful compartments and is very organized. Then when we get to our location, I always end up taking out my wallet and leaving the big old heavy purse behind at the motel or relative's house! Every vacation, it's the same thing. You'd think I'd learn but I guess it's a family tradition now... :D

So to answer your question, yes I drag out the vacation clunker during the summer! It's a bright red color so I can easily find it. :angry

Other than that, I usually rotate between two purses. One is a brown leather number and the other is a really pretty light beige with colorful stripes on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not hard at all, one of the easier ones that I have done. I think it only took about two days total, everything takes longer with a three year old wanting to help :manyheart. I did not add the zipper but I used it anyway and was pleased. I think that I will add a magnetic catch. It's great because it does'nt take up any room, just stuff it in a drawer or another bag when your not using it. I also added a few flowers to one side just to dress it up a bit.

Archived