Help with Harry Potter Scarves

donnalynn2

Question

Ok, I am making up the HP scarves, one for each house. The thing I am a bit confused about it if you look at the Lion Brand site, they have the Griffendore scarf different from the other houses. They have the Griffendore scarf with an even number of rows for each color where as the other houses have little stripes mixed in with larger blocks. I could be wrong, but I thought all the scarves in the movies were the same except different colors????

13 answers to this question

Thanks... I actually saw that site but those don't look anything like the scarves in the movies which shocked me the first time I stumbled upon it. Harry Potter's scarf didn't look anything like the Garnet and Gold one... Weird... I think it's because they but the house crests on the scarves or something... I did a search on images and the only clear pic I could find was of Harry and Hermione's scarves. Couldn't find a pic of the others anywhere.

Thanks for looking though... Any other HP savy fans out there who would know?

Ah yea.. sorry then. I'm not Harry Potter savvy.

I think it stinks when the 'official' merchandise doesn't look like the real thing. If I was purchasing their official stuff, I'd expect it to look like the real thing within reason!

I'm not certain, but I think the striping pattern changed from wider stripes to thinner stripes with larger blocks of color at some point. Either for the 3rd or 4th movie. I made mine with even rows of each color and everybody knew what it was supposed to be.

The scarves changed from movie to movie, so just pick the one you like and make them all according to that pattern.

The scarves changed from movie to movie, so just pick the one you like and make them all according to that pattern.

And in the Goblet of Fire one, I couldn't tell what colors Ravenclaw's scarves were. They were navy blue with 3 colors or something in it. I just made the other scarves and left it at that.

Here's a site on how to knit them (shows the colors) http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/hogwarts/pattern.shtml

I remember seeing on that site somewhere some discussion about the "new" versus "old" style Harry Potter scarves. I really wish they'd stop changing them in the movie.

Here is a crochet pattern for them http://luvtocraft.blogspot.com/2004/06/harry-potter-scarf.html. Note that if you make something using this pattern, you can't sell it ( I think. Read the note). For some reason I couldn't open it right now, but, I have done a scarf from this pattern in the past. I also found the scarf too wide for my taste, so I made it smaller.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and links. They helped a lot!!! Becks, I was actually going to PM you as I knew you were the resident HP Fan here! LOL Well, I guess then I'll just do each school in the same pattern and do it that way. It's cheaper too as I'll only need 2 skeins of yarn for each scarf instead of 3...

Does everyone think that using Wool-Ease in Grey is a good substitution for Silver? That's the closest thing I could come up with!

I made myself a big stripe one a few years ago, but now I have the yarn to make a new "thin stripe" one. I'm using Wool Ease in gold and cranberry. If you look at the "thin stripe" scarf up close (we saw GOF in an IMAX theater, so it was BIG -- LOL!), the gold looks more "tweedy," but I couldn't find anything like it anywhere. *pout* So I just went with the gold Wool Ease.

I have no idea when I am going to get around to actually making it, but I am going to experiment based on the photos until I get something that looks close enough to me. :)

Thanks Queen Mo! Where did you find those pics???

Well I think I'll go ahead and just make them like the original one for now but it's good to know they really did change over the years...

Becks, thanks! I do, however, have to exchange my light green to dark greem for slytherin. Don't know what I was thinking...

For Ravenclaw I guess the same grey with a light blue?

Ah, yes, the Ravenclaw colors bugaboo.

Officially, in the books, the Ravenclaw colors are blue and bronze.

The movies have made it blue and gray, (or blue and silver - take your pick). For my castle's house banners, I went with what the colors were in that French cross stitch book. th_hogwarts11.jpg

Blue and bronze. (See the R banner? That's what I'm referring to).

Some have the blue as a dark blue like this scarf...

http://www.legendarytoys.com/ravenclaw-scarf.html

The older Ravenclaw's scarf was a lighter blue like this scarf...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076XNBA/104-4545101-6177553?v=glance&n=1036592

Either way it all depends on what YOU like! :)

Archived