crocheting with fabric

Is anyone crocheting with fabric strips or rags? I just started this, using leftover fabrics and some old knit tops...would like to compare notes.

Also, just found a 600 yard spool of narrow lilac narrow lace at a fabric store for $5...thinking of making a summer purse...has anyone done this? Pointers?

Thanks

Faye:hook

I'm working on a rug for my bathroom using old T-shirts. It's turning out nice & soft. We used to have a store that sold remnant lace & ribbon very cheap. I crocheted little drawstring gift bags & sachet from it.

:)Alosha

I make "rag rugs" to sell at a farmers' market in the summer. always use the same type of fabric throughout the project....cottons only, or wools only or t-shirts only etc. etc. With stretchy fabrics cut non-stretchy direction, you don't want to have too much give. cut your fabric on the straight....bias cut fabric sheds too much. I like to sew my ends together because knots can show up in your work. when working with yardage,cut from one end to almost the other end and then cut back. personally I use scissors but you can also use a rotary cutter. I use a"N" hook but it really depends on your project. Ribbon crochet....interesting idea but lace? I've never found lace cheap enough but I imagine it would crochet 'coarsly' like twine. When working with rough fabric like denim, and most wools I wear gloves ( I use the ones from the dollar store that are made to go under rubber gloves....light weight) when crocheting with fabric try to fold the fabric inward like bias tape to trap edges. you can make almost anything from fabric strips though clothing is usually too heavy and it it takes an enormous amount of fabric for a rug or whatever .

I love crocheting with fabric!

I don't, however, love frayed edges (on most fabric crochet things, like purses, hot mats... I like them on rugs, usually!) I bought a bias tape folder, which I used after I cut my fabric and sew it together and then roll the "yarn" onto a paper towel tube until I use it. It definitely takes longer than tear and tie crochet, but for smaller items it gives a very tailored look.

I recently made a pizza hot pad for myself and a set for my in-laws (we're big into homemade pizza). I got a fabric with yellow, red and white for the body, and then some brown for the edge. It looks just like a big cheese pizza!

When I sew the strips together, I put them face together at a 90 degree angle, then sew at a 45 degree angle so that when you unfold on the seam it is a straight line of fabric with a diagonal seam. I clip the extra, and it makes it less bulky at the seams.

A lot of sites suggest cutting on the bias, but I guess I am just lazy, because I cut the length of the fabric, so that I have less joins!

Archived