Crochet in wire?

I vaguely remember seeing a jewelry design program on some diy channel about crocheting with wire and beads or semi precious stones. Has anyone tried this? My curiousity is eventually going to get the better of me and I'm just going to have to give it a try myself, but I was wodering if anyone else had given it a try or not. I have a sci fi convention coming up and I was thinking that something in wire crochet would probably look pretty wild among the rest of the stuff in the artshow.

I've tried it, and while I didn't love it, it wasn't especially difficult either.

You pretty much just have to try it to see how it's different from using yarn or thread.

I used 30 ga. fine silver, which is very soft.

You can also use colored craft wire. I'd like to try it, but I'm not sure my hands would like it. If you can get hold of Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet, she has an introduction to wire crochet.

I've done it, and have been fairly pleased with my results. I've done earrings and bridal tiaras and chokers and stuff.

I probably wouldn't recommend going any heavier than 26g or 24g, unless you're used to abusing your hands. I do a lot of chainmaille work, and have pretty strong hands so doing 24g or so isn't too big a deal for me. 22g is starting to stretch it for me, though. That's pretty much not gonna happen. ;)

I usually use 28 or 30g, though; it generally gives the nicest look, in my opinion.

Hmmmmmmm.... I may just have to get some of the cheap coloured crafting wire from wally world to practice in first and then do one in real silver for windycon in november. That way I can work up my pattern and figure out what charms and stones I want to add.

I saw a thing on the Net about it and tried it with 30. It's HARD!!! You can't twist it like regular yarn/thread, so it needs to be pulled thru each loop kinda straight. Do a search on Google or something, and you'll find it. Is there some instruction on BeadWrangler?? Don't have time to research it - late for work!

edit: try http://www.seafore.com

Archived