sleeve help!!!

bubblefizz

Question

Im making sleeves for a jacket, im making the bell sleeves ones.

how do i go about making the sleeve at the top part that fits in the armhole?

as the armhole is like an L sorta shape (u know what i mean)

i crocheted enough to fit around the armhole but then realised that its going to be baggy and loose as i worked down to the wrist,

do you chain to fit the armhole, then decrease or would that not work?

please help

11 answers to this question

:think Is the pattern stitch OK to be made from the top down?

Some patterns need to be made the same way for all pieces so you may need to do your sleeve from the wrist up, making a straight bit to fit into the armhole at the top.

You could then go back to the wrist to create the bell shape in a different stitch.

Let me know if you need more info.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I am going to be doing the simple V stitch, and what im trying to say is that i want the sleeve tight around the arm (the sleeves were the same before i took them off)

but the sleeve i took off is shaped at the top were it fits into the hole.

so if i chained from the armholes down to the wrist it would mean decreasing as soon as maybe 4th row onwards

Aggie May is right. Most sleeves are made from the wrist up. You make a chain that is comfortable for your sleeve opening and increase as you go up. If you have a squared-off sleeve opening on the body, you must duplicate that shape on the sleeve cap, fitting the sleeve into the body like a jig-saw puzzle. How often and how much to increase the sleeve width depends on your gauge and length of the sleeve. At the end, you can crochet a flared bell-shaped trim onto the wrist edge.

:think Is the armhole like a big U shape when the side seam is undone and the whole garment laid out flat?

If yes, just work along the straight edge which is the top of the sleeve. Work straight down the sleeve for a few inches before starting to decrease for the shape down to the elbow, then increase out for the flare of the bell shape.

The first few rows of the sleeve will be stitched to the part that would be the sides of the U shape.

l.....1.....l picture this as the armhole. You will work in pattern along the dotted line, then the first few rows, depending on how wide the sides are, will be stitched to the l.

The number 1 is the shoulder line.

It is not easy to draw a picture without the right Computer knowledge.

Tomorrow I will make a sample and take a picture if this explanation is not good enough.

Let me know.

Aggie may you lost me LOL

her is a pic of the acctual sleeve, as you can see its shaped at the top.

Now can you explain :blush ?

so will i start at the cuff?

arms.jpg

Aggie may you lost me LOL

her is a pic of the acctual sleeve, as you can see its shaped at the top.

Now can you explain :blush ?

so will i start at the cuff?

That's the correct shape for your sleeve to be when it's finished (without the bell cuffs). Usually, sleeves are crocheted from the wrist to the shoulder, but you can start at the top and work down to the cuff. However, you work your rows back and forth, from side to side -- NOT up and down (NOT from wrist to shoulder).

If you start at the top, make your first row about 4" long - this is the top of the shoulder. Lay your crochet piece on your pattern and follow the shape. Start increasing where appropriate to make the sleeve wider to follow the shape of your sleeve pattern. After you get out to the widest part on your sleeve pattern, then you start decreasing as you work down to the wrist. Figure out where you want your bell cuff to start and begin your increases.

There is a good bell cuff using v-stitches you can follow on Eileen Tepper's Shrug-a-licious pattern. The bell starts about the middle of your forearm and bells out to the wrist. (You won't be able to use this pattern for the sleeves though, because it is a different construction technique.) If you want to use TepperWear's pattern for the bells, print it out and start from the 2nd sleeve, bell cuff instructions.

http://www.hometown.aol.com/tepperleen/page6.html

If you decide to crochet your sleeves from the wrist to the shoulder, then you would start at about the middle of your forearm, work back and forth accross the pattern, and increase following your sleeve pattern up to the widest part. Do your decreases to your last row which will be about 4" wide. Then re-attach your yarn at the bottom and work the bell cuffs.

It's always fun to be creative - and you learn so much when you challenge yourself to try something new! Good luck!

That's the correct shape for your sleeve to be when it's finished (without the bell cuffs). Usually, sleeves are crocheted from the wrist to the shoulder, but you can start at the top and work down to the cuff. However, you work your rows back and forth, from side to side -- NOT up and down (NOT from wrist to shoulder).

If you start at the top, make your first row about 4" long - this is the top of the shoulder. Lay your crochet piece on your pattern and follow the shape. Start increasing where appropriate to make the sleeve wider to follow the shape of your sleeve pattern. After you get out to the widest part on your sleeve pattern, then you start decreasing as you work down to the wrist. Figure out where you want your bell cuff to start and begin your increases.

There is a good bell cuff using v-stitches you can follow on Eileen Tepper's Shrug-a-licious pattern. The bell starts about the middle of your forearm and bells out to the wrist. (You won't be able to use this pattern for the sleeves though, because it is a different construction technique.) If you want to use TepperWear's pattern for the bells, print it out and start from the 2nd sleeve, bell cuff instructions.

http://www.hometown.aol.com/tepperleen/page6.html

If you decide to crochet your sleeves from the wrist to the shoulder, then you would start at about the middle of your forearm, work back and forth accross the pattern, and increase following your sleeve pattern up to the widest part. Do your decreases to your last row which will be about 4" wide. Then re-attach your yarn at the bottom and work the bell cuffs.

It's always fun to be creative - and you learn so much when you challenge yourself to try something new! Good luck!

Thanks Sherry

I have now started from the cuff end and i am as you say going to follow the shape from the template, i just hope its going to work :lol:hug

:think Sorry to add confusion. I thought you were originally describimg a square top sleeve.

This is a traditional Set In Sleeve which is usually eased a wee bit at the top.

You are certainly better to start from the wrist and work up. You may not get the lovely curve at the top because it is a little harder do do that with crochet, but with some clever Sl Sts you will be able to get close.

Do your first sleeve by working from your pattern, making notes of what you do, then do the second one by copying the first.

Have fun.

Sorry to add confusion. I thought you were originally describimg a square top sleeve.

I thought the same thing, AggieMay! Your instructions are very good. You are always a big help to anyone with design questions.:hug

Archived