How to crochet faster?

Gran

Question

I would like to know the technical aspects and mental strategies/tactics of crocheting FAST. If you are a very quick crocheter and would be willing to share the how-to's you know, could you please post them?

Thanks!

I agree with Aggie May that a smooth flow of yarn from the skein helps speed things up. When it is tight, I pull out a few yards at a time and leave them in strands on my couch.

One way I go faster is to just do it. If I try to go at 100%, I mess up, but if I try to go at 80%, I go pretty quickly.

Using patterns you know well speeds things up.

Using patterns that have spaces speeds things up. For instance, the granny square takes less time that Priscilla Hewitt's simple square.

Crocheting through one loop (BL only, FL only, etc.) takes more time than crocheting through two loops.

Like Linda said, general speed of how your fingers move has a lot to do with experience.

Studies have shown that holding a hook like a pencil will cause problems like carpal tunnel syndrome. I also hold my hook "like a knife" like Queen Mo said.

One thing I heard to help crochet faster is to use inline or Susan Bates type hooks. I don't know why, but Lily Chin says that you can go faster using this type of hook.

Good posture is also important.

I consider myself pretty fast, but I still enjoy doing what I do. The big thing with crochet is to relax and enjoy what you are making.

And people who have been crocheting for many years are of course a lot faster than someone who is a newbie. Enjoy crochet for what it is.

Linda:manyheart

I think a lot of it has to do with how you hold your hook and yarn. I hold the hook like a knife, but the way I hold the yarn allows me to do most of the movement with the hook. I don't actually 'yarn over', I 'hook under'. Other than that, it mostly just takes practice and experience. But don't get so caught up in the speed that you neglect technique (especially gauge and tension).

:cheer Remember, if you go too fast, you get a long way, sometimes, before you notice you have made a mistake.

:cheer I can go fairly fast and I think it is all in the way you hold your yarn, hook etc. Also depends how your yarn flows from the ball.

I made a wee video of how I crochet and I notice on my Photobucket you can add a video so I will have a go at doing that.

I will let you know if it works.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=Swimmingsocceretc.flv

Well, I worked out how to add the video to my Photobucket and I have checked it out and it does work.

My husband was the camera man and I did not mean for him to scan my weed-riddeen pots at the beginning. They have been weeded now. Also there seems to be a few pauses in the Video but I think it happened because it was a bit too long and photobucket abbreviated it. Still seems to make sense though.

I did not put a voice with it because I dont like how I sound on a Video but I think it is self-explanitory. I did a couple of rows of DCs and a row of SCs. It was more to show the grip style and how to hold the yarn. I did not realise how I stuck out my pinkey finger until I watched it.

I am sure everyone with a Digital camera will now be putting little videos together to show how they crochet.

If I get to make a better one, I will delete this one.

Have fun.

Colleen.

PS I hope it works on here as it did for me.

I don't know if this will help at all but I've notice that if I'm not paying attention or watching a show/movie that I've seen before and my mind wanders I go faster. I don't know. Hope that helps some :hug :hug :hug

Archived