What do you carry your project while traveling?

I was just wondering what you carry your project in when you travel? I have a nice red tote bag from LeSportsac. What I like about it is the inside zip pocket. That way I don't have to dig down into the bag to get my needle, scissors, and measurement tape.

When someone sees me with that bag, they know I'm doing a project.

I have a green tote bag that I got from the hospital when I had daughter #3 that I use. It's not the prettiest thing (ain't the ugliest, either, thank god! :lol), but it's functional... and it's the only tote bag I GOT!! :hook

I was actually toying around with the idea of making a different bag/tote bag but I haven't found a pattern yet that screams out "make me! Make me!" :P

I have a tote bag that I picked up at a Japanese import shop in town. It says, "This $#!^ is bananas!" and "Banana $#1*!" all over it. It's cream colored with bananas (surprise!) and the wording is pink and white.

I keep my hooks in a little zippered pouch thing that has a picture of anime-style girl in a red and black spotted dress. The bag says "Bbing is a stupid and cute shaman! She lives with three cats. Cats are kkang, zzong, and meong. They play music of Bbing's exorcism!"

That's what I use for my every-day purse too; not just toting crochet around. It's fun seeing people's responses to them. ;)

I have a blue totebag I use for my current project. Also i have a back pack I use for extra yarn and books. I keep my hooks and needles in a travel toothbrush holder, Its just the perfect size.:hook

I have a Black tote and it has pockets and zippers on the front and back that I can store extra things. I really like it and was happy when I finally found something like this to carry with me. Befor that I would just use any large tote bag, like beach bags or something like that.

I have a large canvas tote with a silhouette of a submarine and it says "love for sail." I keep my needles in a homemade roll out of a potholder and some grosgrain ribbon.

I have a few "free" totes from friends who just thought I had to have them as they see me carrying WIP in Wal-mart bags.

But I have since found the "take out" bag from "Noodles" (local pasta restuarant in the area) to work perfectly.:manyheart

Besides I have found that my "free" totes tend to get themselves clutter with more that WIP.:devil

I have various pretty totes, the kinds with the canvas handles... some with florals and some with birds or pretty things. I then put a smaller zipper or drawstring inside of that to put my hook and one of those circular yarn cutters (I work in court buildings and you can't take scissors in through the metal detectors - which is stupid 'cause we work there and have access to some upstairs... but whatever). And then if I'm working from a pattern I printed instead of a book I put the printed pattern in a page protector so it doesn't get so wrinkled up!

I was actually wondering something similar today. I normally have two bags (one which I bought last year from Wally world when the beach bags were available, and one that a great aunt gave me last year)

But I was in Joanns today and saw that their rolling yarn tote was 50% off and wondered if it was worth the price and/or if anyone else had bought it!

I was flying abroad on business - 30 hours of travel time, so I bought a beautiful pink leather tote bag from Ebay. It's gorgeous and about right for a decent sized project and a few skeins. I love it. Since then I bought this. It makes me very happy.

I have 3 different Lion Brand Totes - 1 for the project I leave @ work. 1 for the project I'm working on @ home and 1 to go with me to my dd's violin lessons, car trips (while dh is driving) and the campground on weekend. My current favorite is blue and has "so much yarn, so little time" printed on it. Truer words I cannot find.

I have a huge "Big Dogs" tote perfect for afghans, a small House of White Birches freebie that is perfect for a thread project and an "I Love Crochet" bag that I got on clearance from Joann's that works for anything in between.

I have to say the only project I'm working on at the moment (that I can carry around) is my grannie's daughters. I take little bits of my scrap yarn, along with an "F" hook and a pair of nail clippers, and put them in a case for carrying cigarettes. I don't smoke...it just holds everything and snaps closed nice and tight. The reason for the nail clippers is because I work at an airport and can't take in scissors. It's nice, because if I have a spare minute or I'm on a break, I can knock out one or two motifs.

My other project right now is an afghan that's all one piece. I think I'll have it done in a few weeks. It's just too big to carry around! So, it's sitting on my end table.

I have various pretty totes, the kinds with the canvas handles... some with florals and some with birds or pretty things. I then put a smaller zipper or drawstring inside of that to put my hook and one of those circular yarn cutters (I work in court buildings and you can't take scissors in through the metal detectors - which is stupid 'cause we work there and have access to some upstairs... but whatever). And then if I'm working from a pattern I printed instead of a book I put the printed pattern in a page protector so it doesn't get so wrinkled up!

I also do the same thing with a pattern that I'm working on. :)

Currently I use either a small diaper bag or a small backpack....But I need to find something better. I recently saw a nice wicker type tote bag at wal mart especailly for crochet projects I think I might get that.

I used to use plastic bags. I kept getting holes in them since I usually keep scissors and sometimes knitting needles, depending on which project I'm working on. I now switched to a bag, not sure of the material, but it's kind of like the stuff that lines a backpack. No more holes. I got it free from work so it has the company name on it, but it works great.

I was flying abroad on business - 30 hours of travel time, so I bought a beautiful pink leather tote bag from Ebay. It's gorgeous and about right for a decent sized project and a few skeins. I love it. Since then I bought this. It makes me very happy.

I like this bag. Is there any thing that you don't like about it? I didn't know that you can take crochet needles on board now?

I have three WIP totes and depending on where I am going I take one of these. If it's going to be a long wait, I take a bigger project to work on. Otherwise I take the smallest tote and work on things like granny squares (some day I'll even have enough to make an afghen), or dishcloths for the three exchanges I'm in, or little craft items to sell at one of the craft fairs I participate in.

Karen in NJ:hook

I use a small rolling suitcase because of back problems. Front pouch holds needles, hooks, etc. I keep a pair of toe nail clippers for cutting yarn on the outside on a retractable cord clip. Large lower pouch holds patterns.Yarn and work in progress inside. Mine is a Winnie-the-pooh suitcase because he is my all time favourite bear!!!!!!!! and I don't care who knows it. There's usually enough room for my purse

I picked up a Red & Black canvas bag from Red Heart at a garage sale. It's big. Started carrying more than crocheting so went to a smaller bag. Beige & Black canvas bag it say D.A.R.E. to keep kids off drugs. Another garage sale finding. It's big enough for a medium size project.

I have that rolling tote from Joann's and I love it except for the color. I have the green one and they also have a pink one. But I just don't find the colors to be very attractive looking. There are alot of zippered compartments on the outside for patterns, papers, etc. There are zippered compartments on the inside of the top for tape measures, etc. It can really hold alot of yarn. I got it mainly because we have a cat who loves yarn as much as I do. I have discovered that the only way to keep her away from my yarn is in zippered compartments. I have had tote bags that closed with velcro and that darn cat could still get into them. Before the cat came to live with us, I used to use Walmart plastic bags. Now I just use that Joann's rolling tote and I have a zippered tote bag that I take when I go out. I thought 50% off for the rolling tote was a really good price because I looked at some quilted tote bags at Joann's at the same time and those quilted bags were only a little less than the rolling tote but you couldn't fit nearly the same amount in the bags that you could in the rolling tote.

around town,any walmart,dollar store,michaels bag.We have alot of bridge lifts,and alot of railroad crossings,so I carry small balls of yarn to get a motif or two done.

Long trips- an aqua color tote with zippered and pocket sections.

Archived