What do you sit in when you crochet?

hello! I have been wondering what other people sit in when they crochet. Currenly I sit on the couch, but I find that when I do a lot of crocheting, I get lower back pain, and I am constantly moving my legs around trying to find a comfortable position.

I do have a chair that matches my couch that I could sit in, but I tend to sink in, and that isn't very comfortable, either.

So, I am wondering what you all have found to be the most comfortable to crochet in. I was looking at some leather recliners (streamlined) with wooden arms and thinking that looks like it might be ideal. Of course, a chair like this is nowhere near our budget anytime soon, but I was just thinking ahead. :)

Nicole

When I have the house to myself I crochet in a beat-up rocker/recliner I bought at the goodwill store. I love how it supports my back and is soo very cozy, plus I can listen to music or a movie while I crochet.

However when my kids are home I crochet in a oversized chair that matches my old couch. The chairs & couch are like 20 yrs old (were my hubby's when he was a teenager) they are nice, slightly used and abused. My hubby is tall so the chairs & couch are very deep. I am a short woman so I need to put two oversized pillows behind me for back support. Plus I have a favorite lamp that moves with me wherever I crochet.:manyheart

However if I had the money I would have something more like this:

Chair

Ottoman

I have both an oversized couch and 2 oversized chairs. I have to sit in something where the arms don't interfere with my elbows moving when I crochet. I do a lot of my crocheting at work on my breaks/lunch hour. Therefore, at work I sit in a window sil (hard oak wood seat)--like a bay window. Not the most comfy, but good lighting. And I'm usually only there for 20 minutes at a time.

Well... most of the time I crochet in my oversized recliner... BUT I just bought this fabulous hardwood directors chair with purple satin back and seat to use as a computer chair.... it is so comfy! Now I can crochet and surf the net at the same time... crochet a stitch...click on a post.... crochet a stitch ....click on a post :c9

At home I crochet on the couch, or sitting up on my bed with 3 pillows behind me.

I also crochet in the car, in my lawn chair while camping or watching the kids' sporting events, on the park bench while the kids play, or any number of places I happen to find myself.

I sit in the passenger seat of the truck, usually. I've tried sitting on the seats in the back, but they don't support my back and if it's a curvy road, I tend to get queazy.

I think the best I've ever sat in was my Grandaddy's recliner, but it was so comfy that I didn't want to stretch to reach my other yarn when I had to change colors :D

I have a great new couch/recliner where I sit. It is probably ergonomically horrible but so comfortable. I also crochet in a lawn chair at my son's soccer games.

I do most of my crochet in the late afternoon or after the kids are asleep. So my favorite place to relax is on my bed watching tv and crocheting at the same time. Plus the computer is in our bedroom and he is there playing his games on the net so atleast we are in the same room. lol

Most of the time when I'm at home I sit in my chaise lounge. It doesn't have arms which is the only thing I don't like about it, but I can spread out on it and both of my doggies can be near me without actually sitting on my lap... It's really comfy and a great way to relax!

I like to sit in my recliner with my feet up. It's next to a window so during the day I get lots of good light and I have a lamp over my right shoulder I can turn on at night. Also, my son's dog can't put her head in my lap when I'm in that chair :) If I'm on the couch, her head is always in my lap and I have to hold my arms up to crochet!

I usually either sit on one end of the couch or on the floor in front of the couch. If my husband is home, he's usually in the chair next to me. If the tv is on, we're usually watching Food TV, anime, or various military shows. (I have an unhealthy interest in all things that explode, what can I say?)

My husband got a good laugh at my expense a few days ago when I called him into the room, "Aaron! Come see this! It can fire 1200 40mm rounds a minute!" ...and I was making a doily. :blush

Downstairs, I curl up in the corner of the couch and support my left elbow on the arm. This keeps my tendonitis from flaring up.

Upstairs, I sit in my recliner. I put a pillow under my left elbow for support, but it doesn't work as well. I also have my lap desk on my lap which is usually occupied with one of the cats, so crocheting can be difficult anyway. :blush

I get more done when I'm downstairs. :devil

I sit on my couch crocheting with the t.v. on to my favorite shows thats where I do most of my crocheting..:hook

This is me, too. Though, since I've been crocheting more, I'm getting more favorite shows. I used to have three or four must see shows each week....not I've got shows on every night...

And I'm on the couch too. If I keep all my stuff gathered next to my side of the couch, my wife doesn't get mad about the mess....

Propped up in bed with one of those back-with-arms cushy things behind me, and a pillow squeezed JUST RIGHT behind the small of my back. Have a waterbed, so wouldn't just be able to use pillows. Like the idea of supporting my elbow, tho. Maybe that would help my elbow pain?

My couch. Sometimes I sit 'normal' on it. Most times I sit turned with my legs up on it and a pillow behind me. It's more comfortable and I watch tv that way rather I'm crocheting or not anyway. Our tv is at that end of the room.

But I'll do it in the car or on our bed. I too have done it in the computer chair a couple times. lol

:)

Wow! Well, there's lots of answers here---I too always have the TV on when I crochet. I do almost all of my crocheting on the couch because when I sit in the chair I sink in and then the arms are too high for me to move my elbows when I work. Occasionally, i will sit on the floor and crochet while my hamster is out in his playpen for play time.

Clearly, good lower back support and proper room for elbows are the biggies here. I hope we all find an ideal situation one day.

Nicole

I sit on my bed with 2 pillow proped up behind me. I usually have the TV on and my Husband is on the computer in our room. Great way to spend quality time together while getting projects done. If he needs me or I need him he pops his head around the corner and we still have great conversations!!!! :yes

Archived