Braided chain

Hi everyone

I came across this while "doodling" with yarn and hook trying to find a suitable replacement for a bag handle that broke on me -- grrr! [1] I haven't seen the stitch anywhere before.

th_BraidedChain.jpg

I think it's quite pretty and it's a little thicker and stronger than a plain chain, and more ornamental than chain-and-slipstitch-back. I thought perhaps people might like to try it for ties and cords as an alternative to ordinary chain.

Here's how to make it:

1. Start your preferred way, slip knot or twist, and make 2 chain.

2. Insert hook into first chain, YO and pull up a loop -- 2 loops on hook.

(From now on you should always have 2 loops on your hook.)

3. *YO and pull yarn through first loop only.

4. YO and ignoring first loop, pull yarn through second stitch only.

5. Repeat from * as long as you want. Finish by pulling first loop through second and fastening off.

A few comments: I think this looks better worked fairly tightly. My sample in the picture is maybe a little loose :blush

Step [3] above is easier if you pinch the chain just under the stitches tightly with your "thread" hand and hold back the second loop with the index finger of your "hook" hand while you YO and pull the yarn through.

Step [4] might seem a little tight the first time you do it, but will loosen up after a couple of repeats.

Sorry about the pic quality; I don't have a digital camera so I had to scan it. I hope it's clear enough for you to see what the stitch looks like.

Hope you like it! Enjoy! :hook

[1] I ended up making a long length of this braided chain, then used it as "yarn" to make another length with a large hook for the actual cord on which beads were threaded. Worked great and is stronger than the original!

Archived