Plus sizes

There have been many comments on various threads about the need to try to adapt patterns for plus sizes and remarks on show and tell items that something is beautiful but "I could never wear that on my body." I wonder how many of us are plus-sized or crochet for others who are? I sew a lot and have found in recent years that pattern companies have improved their large size offerings. They aren't perfect, but at least it is a starting point. Wouldn't it be nice if some of the creative people who actually have the ability to design crochet patterns would make something for us? Clothes that are as cute and fresh looking as those for smaller sizes. Many crochet patterns have a "large" bust size measurement that would be tight on my size 8 daughter. I feel completely discouraged when I want to make something for women in my family who need a 1X-3X. I have found that I need to adapt even shawl patterns to get the nice drape that I want and frankly would have no idea where to begin adapting more fitted clothing. Has anyone found a solution to this dilemma or am I destined to spend my crochet time on afghans and doilies?

I'm not experienced enough to answer your question. I just finished that ss cardigan for my mom, and struggled with that issue. I think that if I try it for myself, I'll be able to take measurements as I go to ensure that its big enough - I have large upper arms and a big bust, and I would need to add to the pattern. If its something with a repetitive pattern, it should be ok as long as we increase in multiples, but it intimidating!

If I remember correctly,being a plus size myself, Crochet magazine has been featuring some plus size patterns.

I was surprised and happy to see this, as unless I play with the pattern to make it larger, I can not wear them.

Get kind of tired of shaws and ponchos.

Hopefully someone else will know for sure. They are out there, we just have to find them.:hook

I, too, am always looking for plus sized patterns. I've found a few sweaters, vests, and ponchos, but not much else. I know nothing about pattern design, but if a single pattern can be adjusted for s, m, l, xl then can it also be increased for 1X, 2X & 3X by the same method of increases? I'm not really confident enough to try this. Perhaps some of our designers can comment. I'd really like to make a short-sleeved crocheted top, but can't find anything in my (2X) size.

I wish patterns were written so that you could input your size and then it would tell you how many stitches to increase/decrease/change whatever. That way people do don't fit into the mold of s, m, or l would be able to make patterns that fit better. Some people are in between sizes or don't have the same proportions everywhere to fit the "typical" S, M or L.

It's not just the size... it's also the styles. I don't care how big I make it, there's no way I would look good in a shrug... it'd be a shudder, not a shrug :lol

I don't want dowdy boxy, styles, but things that end at the waist, or are very clingy, just don't look good on me.

Joan

It's not just the size... it's also the styles. I don't care how big I make it, there's no way I would look good in a shrug... it'd be a shudder, not a shrug :lol

I don't want dowdy boxy, styles, but things that end at the waist, or are very clingy, just don't look good on me.

Joan

Exactly! We can't just take some clingy little design and make it bigger; we would just look and feel ridiculous. At the same time, who wants to look like she is wearing an afgan?

• 3 weeks later...

If you have simple sewing patterns, you can try your hand at this:

Copy the pattern pieces onto more durable paper and cut out. Crochet and compare as you go to the paper piece. Assemble pieces.

This works best with simple patterns if you're not experienced with either crochet or sewing, but even things like pleats and darts don't seem like they'd be that hard. The hardest part would be deciding on a stitch pattern you could adapt--using singles and doubles will keep it easy, but hot and heavy!

I'm working on one now for a draping summer vest in size 32 (5X) and it's working out. Kind of hippy-chic. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Here! Here! I too am a plus size and the pickins' are slim to say the least!....Found some at Lionbrand.com; found more at C is for crochet if you go to P for plus size.....one of the patterns mentioned going up a hook size or two if this can help to make it a bit larger......I would think that you would need to use a thicker yarn as well if you did that....,I did a google search:google for plus size crochet patterns and even the computer couldn't come up with much:no ..Now I am off to search Amazon .com to see if they have any books available!

Hi, it's me again:devil ! The Amazon.com search was fruitless.....we would have to buy many many books just to get a few patterns:no!it is very depressing:cry and frustrating:thair!

I totally share in this frustration..I'm a 1X and my mom is a 2X, so any time either one of us really likes a pattern, we're dissappointed because the sizes stop at large...I know that I have adjusted a pattern for a kid's halter top by just figuring out how many extra ch for the beginning and how many rows (for the length) based on the sizes listed...but halter tops are very simple to construct...I haven't tried it on anything that I could wear...I've found a few patterns at Lion Brand and also on CPC, but most of the patterns I've found that list bigger sizes are actually knit, not crochet...I guess I'm lucky that I do both...

I have been fighting this problem for years.

How easy a pattern is to modify depends on how much shaping there is. If you know your gague, and you know how big you want to pices to be, you can modify the number of stitchs that you start with. For a sweater or something, you also have to modify the armholes and the neck. That is of course, assuming that there is not real shapeing in the garment. (Shapeing makes it harder to modify, but not impossible... Just dont' start with a really complex pattern.)

I often modify patterns, one becuase I can never make gague and two becuase I wear a 2X. Some of the simple patterns aren't to bad to modify. (I started with a basic sweater were the body was a rectangle and slowly moved to more advanced patterns). Of course, you can't be afraid of doing some math (and frogging when things didn't work like you planned). I usually set up a spread sheet where I input all the differnt steps in the pattern (ie ch 45), then I convert it to inches based on the pattern gague (ie 11 inches). Then I fill in what I think the measurement should be to fit me ( say 15 inches), then I convert that into my gague (say ch 78). Then I can follow the "new" instructions. It takes a lot of pre-project thought and planning. Plus, it doens't always work out, so then I have to frog and redo. (Espcially when you miss read the pattern in the beginging.)

But, I agree, a lot of the patterns out there still won't look good on me. No matter if I make them in a larger size or not. Sometimes, it's just a matter of lengthing the pattern so it sits at a more flattering spot. But, often, that doesn't work. But, then again, I have that problem with finding clothes. So many of the styles don't look good on me. (which is really sad becuase most stores barely carry any "womens" sized clothes ).

My mom and I are exactly the same...I'd love to work on some wearables, but I've yet to find something suitable.

I totally share in this frustration..I'm a 1X and my mom is a 2X, so any time either one of us really likes a pattern, we're dissappointed because the sizes stop at large...I know that I have adjusted a pattern for a kid's halter top by just figuring out how many extra ch for the beginning and how many rows (for the length) based on the sizes listed...but halter tops are very simple to construct...I haven't tried it on anything that I could wear...I've found a few patterns at Lion Brand and also on CPC, but most of the patterns I've found that list bigger sizes are actually knit, not crochet...I guess I'm lucky that I do both...

I am a 1x right now, so I've been on the lookout for things that are both in my size and would flatter my size.

I was a bit disheartened by an email on another list from a fellow crocheter anwering about lack of men's designs. He said he had sold men's designs to a publisher, who decided to publish them instead as plus women's sweaters. Not only were they not meant to be plus sized, they weren't meant to be WOMEN's!

If I just wanted something shapeless on my body, I could wear an afghan sack!

This is one of the reasons I learned how to knit, too, since there are more wearables in general, and then use crocheting for featured accents.

Hey A lot of older crochet world has at least 1 plus size pattern in it I could drag them out and see seems to me that they had a drafting page in them on how to enlarge a pattern

now I know Im not the only one with a 1/2 million old crochet worlds I also found a sweater book at hobby lobby a couple years ago with all plus sizes in sweaters and they look very easy .this seems to be a problem with some answers.

I am a 2X and i have a hard time finding clothes in the store so i know i will never be able to find patterns for myself. so i will not even try i will stick to other stuff and not even think about it.

If you have simple sewing patterns, you can try your hand at this:

Copy the pattern pieces onto more durable paper and cut out. Crochet and compare as you go to the paper piece. Assemble pieces.

:hook What a TERRIFIC suggestion! I saw this in a recent issue of a crochet magazine for a skirt... and forgot all about it.

I am an ample woman too... ;) and I get so frustrated with the limited choices I have. I'm gonna give this idea some serious thought.

Thanks pdxWoman!!! :manyheart

I TOO ARE A PLUS SIZE BUT HAVE NOT MADE ANYTHING IN THE GARMENT AREA. I DO KNOW THAT YOU CAN USE A LARGER SIZE HOOK BUT THE MOST LOGICAL TO ME IS TO DO THE MATH. IF THE S IS SO MANY STS CHS, AND THE M IS ANOTHER SO MANY CHS AS WELL AS THE L, SUBTRACT THE THE S FROM M THEN THE M FROM L THERE IS A PATTERN. YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO ADD AT LEAST 6 TO 8 STS TO GET THE DESIRED FIT. :blush

ANOTHER WAY IS TO MEASURE THE AREA ON YOURSELF AND THEN CHECK THE LABEL TO SEE HOW MANY STS AND ROWS TO THE INCH. I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL:scrachin E- :mailbox OR POST REPLY TO LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKED.

I am blessed with three plus sized friends. They have to be a little...extra to hold their remarkably generous spirits and incredibly loving hearts. I found Cool Crochet, by Melissa Leapman a great source for clothes that look like clothes, sized for almost everyone. I've made something different for each of them and have actually seen them worn by their recipients, not just tucked away in a cupboard. I hope this helps.

I used to think that I couldnt wear any kind of shrug, specially since I am on dialysis and fluid collects in my belly. The looser styles do look okayas long as it is past the midrift and a longer tie to ummm hide a little bit of belly issue.

I am not experienced enough to comment on clothes making, but I sdid just give my moms ladies group (with mrs whos permission) the fluff shrug pattern. They are making it for thier grandchildren (about 8 girls) and they are all different sizes.

Lori, I dont know if you know how wonderful it was of you to share that pattern for all of us larger sizes. thank you!!!!!!:nworthy

Laura

Saw this book today that I'm tempted to get.

It's called Big Girl Knits: 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves and yes it's knitting. If you knit or you're brave enough to try and convert, you might want to look it over. It's got pretty patterns in it, unlike most things for plus size women.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307336603/sr=8-1/qid=1148250524/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2212037-6256039?%5Fencoding=UTF8

:)

Thanks for all suggestions. I saw the knitting book, too, and it looked great, but multiple attempts at knitting have failed. I seem to lack the coordination to manipulate the two needles!

Here are three plus size pattern books. One is knitted and two are crocheted. I happened to see one of these in Joann's.

I am now down to a 2X, but I still have trouble finding patterns, that is why I corchet dolls.:hook

http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=3525&search=1

http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=3530&search=1

http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=4686&search=1

Hope this helps

well,,,,,if we have someone among us that knows how to make patterns..........:think that could be very useful.....even if they would charge us for the pattern.....we could even make it a "plus size" cal....:yay

Archived