first real pattern [WAS wrong spot i think but......]

I am making a pattern (the lacey scarf) from dots site. I am so excited to try my first "real" project. I mean besides scarfs and ripple afgans. Do you all remember the first time you tried to read and work from a pattern? This is my first time!

Laura

Be sure to show us pics when you finish! I remember my first project was a hat for my dog. . . but my first project with a PATTERN was probably a hat, and I didn't do it right. Best of luck with yours!

:lol Oh yeah. I remember the first thing I made from a pattern. It was a tunisian stitch baby sweater. But, I was living in a forest fire lookout tower (my job during the 80's) so I was minimum 3 hours from any store. I didn't have much money and the only place that had yarn was a KMart in Porterville... so, I bought this little booklet, some yarn and a hook. Got to the tower. Wrong type yarn. Wrong size hook. Gauge? What's Gauge?

The sweater turned out really cute... I was making it for my upcoming baby. Too bad it would only fit a squirrel if I was lucky! Ended up making a nice sweater for my new daughter's dollies when she got older! :rofl

Oh, I wanna see pics, too! My first project (besides afghans) was the Swirl Sweater from Crochetme. I worked and frogged, worked and frogged, but it was worth it!

When I first started I made several plain dishcloths in HDC, DC and a combination of those stitches over and over and over until I felt comfortable crocheting (and we had enough dishcloths to wash every dish in America!) Then I went to a pattern (for guess what! ...... dishcloths!! My reasoning was that if I screwed it up, at least it could be used.) I remember my VERY FIRST pattern gave the instructions for the first row (or circle?? can't remember which) and then it gave the total number of stitches in parenthesis at the end like this (20). Only I didn't know what the (20) meant. This was before Crochetville and I couldn't just go on the Internet to ask someone a question. So I frogged that beginning row (or circle) and tried to figure out what I was supposed to do with the 20 and what kind of stitch it was! I spent an ENTIRE EVENING frogging, recrocheting, reading, crying, frogging, recrocheting, reading, crying. (I'm slow that way.) :lol

Finally, finally, F-I-N-A-L-L-Y around 10:00 that night, it occurred to me that this row or circle that I had just crocheted over and over and over and over again had exactly 20 stitches in it, and that possibly that was what the pattern people meant! So I cautiously went on to the next round (or row) and did what it said, and sure enough the number in the parenthesis at the end of that row equaled what I had just done! :yes

Good luck on your first pattern! You can do it! And just remember what the number in the parenthesis at the end of the rows means! :hook

The first item I made from a pattern was the "posh poncho". I was too inexperienced at the time to understand the logic behind the pattern so I frogged numerous times.

When the "AHA" moment came it was wonderful and I now have an awesome summer poncho to wear over tanks.:)

My first sweater was "Stacy" from "Cool Crochet" . It was utter misery 'cause I cannot make gauge on any of the patterns in that book! Now I know how to adjust for that and I have 3 awesome versions of "Stacy" one as written and two I modified.

The first time I tried to work from a pattern was a VERY long time ago. I had the book "Complete Guide to Needlework" and was trying to make something in it. Probably a flower or a square. I kept having to flip back and forth between the page with the definitions and the pattern to see what they were talking about.

I cheated. I picked a pattern and had my sister read out the instructions and then "translate them" while I did the actual crocheting.

I'm thinking the first pattern I actually followed myself was the Petite Pineapple doily. I don't follow many. I prefer freeforming. (And that is not freeforming as in making a wallpiece made up of many different stitches and many different colors. That is "freeforming" in the sense of making pretty and functional things with a "pattern" that exists only in my head.)

The sweater turned out really cute... I was making it for my upcoming baby. Too bad it would only fit a squirrel if I was lucky! :rofl

LOL, the exact same thing happened to me! My first time using a pattern ever was when I was pregnant with my first son, about 2 years ago. I decided I was going to make him a sweater! Got a pattern, got some yarn (looking back, I can't remember if I checked to see that it was the right size yarn :eek ) used the recommended hook...gauge? What's gauge? :lol

It turned out very well, if I do say so myself: I very sensibly decided to make the 6 month size since my son was due in August and I figured he wouldn't need the sweater for a few months...of course, when I tried it on him at about 3 weeks, it baaaaarely fit.

Okay, I had to upload the pic to show, it's so cute...to the left in the photo you can see my next two projects, a set of booties and a ripple afghan. Both were made from a pattern, and both turned out muuuuch better. :lol I was proud of myself, anyway. ;)

140394020_74889b9c05_m.jpg

Archived