New GUY here...

RickyRebel

I was bouncing around the web, looking for some easy crochet hats to make (per my sister's request) and I found this site....

My grandma taught me the crochet basics 30+ years ago, and just recently, I was going through old boxes that have been stored away for more than 5 years and found all my hooks and tons of old yarn... So I've been back at it...

I've always loved crocheting, but being a guy, I used to take too much crap about it.... A lot of people don't look at crocheting as being all that manly...

But, I'm 40 now, and I just don't care what people think. So here I am...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh....I guess I could say a little more about myself...

My name is Rick. I'm married and I have 5 kids (20, 18, 15, 15 and 11). We live in Renton, WA (a suburb of Seattle)...

I work in a home office as a web designer, though I don't make much money at it yet.... But it allows me to be home when my younger three come home from school.

:cheer Good for you. :cheer

There is nothing wrong with people doing whatever they want. It is the person who slings off who has the problem.

Did you know that back in history, it was the men who did the Knitting and Crochet?

Good enough for them, good enough for you.

Anyway, on here we cant actually see who or what you are so we just accept a person as another crochet fanatic.

Welcome to the forum.

have fun.

Colleen.:hug

:welcome Rick, to the 'ville, from your neighbour to the South (hailing you all the way from Kent, WA) !

:hookYou'll love it here as everyone is so nice and helpful!

~k

:welcome Rick, to the 'ville, from your neighbour to the South (hailing you all the way from Kent, WA) !

Figure the odds on that....

So....since you're from the area, where's the best place to find yarn selection? I went to Michaels this past weekend, and I was really feeling let down, because the selection seemed so slim....

For anyone who doesn't know, Renton and Kent border each other....

Rick

Hi :hi Rick and welcome :welcome from the West Coast of Florida.

Ah anyone gives you a hard time, remind them of the football player Rosie(not sure of spelling) Greer. He did needlepoint. No one made fun of him.:lol

Is that a set of twins I see? :eek Good for you being there for the kids.:clap

Always glad to have more guys on the site.:hook

The world just keeps getting smaller, eh? :D

I usually go to Joann's (Southcentre, sometimes Federal Way) as they usually have a decent selection... and actually, I just found out about a LYS opening in Kent next week (http://www.renaissanceyarns.com) .... will have to check them out and see how they fare.... but yeah, I never really find much in our local Michaels' either....

~k

Figure the odds on that....

So....since you're from the area, where's the best place to find yarn selection? I went to Michaels this past weekend, and I was really feeling let down, because the selection seemed so slim....

For anyone who doesn't know, Renton and Kent border each other....

Rick

Hi :hi Rick and welcome :welcome from the West Coast of Florida.

Ah anyone gives you a hard time, remind them of the football player Rosie(not sure of spelling) Greer. He did needlepoint. No one made fun of him.:lol

Is that a set of twins I see? :eek Good for you being there for the kids.:clap

Always glad to have more guys on the site.:hook

Yep....boy/girl twins.

Yeah, and my wife got to the point where she is making as much money as we were both making before. So she decided it was the best time to pursue my business.... And after some of the issues we had with the oldest two kids being home alone after school, this really is best for all of us....

The world just keeps getting smaller, eh? :D

I usually go to Joann's (Southcentre, sometimes Federal Way) as they usually have a decent selection... and actually, I just found out about a LYS opening in Kent next week (http://www.renaissanceyarns.com) .... will have to check them out and see how they fare.... but yeah, I never really find much in our local Michaels' either....

~k

My 15 year old daughter wants me to make her a bikini, and we've done a sample with ugly yarn.....but we can't find her dream colors for the real suit....

Where is Tonasket?

Tonasket is in North Central WA. It's less than 20 miles from Canada and if you know where Omak is, we are about 30 miles north. Does that help?:)

Welcome, Rick! Hope you like it here. It's so good to know that more and more guys are crocheting...we have had several threads on this in this forum. How nice it must be for the kids to have Dad at home when they come home from school!

Good luck finding the perfect yarn for your daughter's bikini. I am about to order some stuff from Knitpicks. You may know them already, but their prices are fabulous and the shipping is really cheap.

http://www.knitpicks.com/

Hey Rick. Yay! Another guy! LOL. If you're looking for non-LYS (local yarn store) yarn places other than Michaels, try AC Moore. Do you have one near you? They have a slightly better selection.

Hey Rick. Yay! Another guy! LOL. If you're looking for non-LYS (local yarn store) yarn places other than Michaels, try AC Moore. Do you have one near you? They have a slightly better selection.

Thank you....

BTW, the bikini in your signature was one of the ones my daughter had looked at.....

:yarn Yarn's kinda addicting, isn't it? ha ha! Glad to have you here, and as you probably already know, you're not the only "guy" around this Ville! Welcome, and hello from New Mexico!

:welcome:sun

Archived