Bernat Cool Crochet?

Yearnin' for Yarn

has anyone used this new yarn? I just saw it for the first time at Walmart (BTW, my Walmart is getting a better selection of yarns--finally!) :). It is a cotton and nylon blend, I think, and it is a rather thin yarn. It has a nice sheen to it. I was just wondering if anyone has used it and what you used it for. It looks like it might make a nice little purse, but what else might you use it for?

I'll go check their site, too, but I was just wondering what anyone here did with it.

Nicole

I saw that, too. It looks like a cross between Red Heart Lustersheen and Patons Grace. I was tempted to get some, but I'm not sure what I'd make with it right now.

I saw it too. Didn't buy any yet, but I did buy the pattern booklet for it. It had patterns for hat and scarf set, vest and something else. I'm at work and can't get my hands on it right now. The booklet was 97 cents. Walmart had a few different yarns the last time I was in. Must be they were filling the empty spaces left by Mainstays yarn.

Wow! I hope my W-mart does that. I was just there day-before-yesterday and they had most of the yarn off the shelves and into carts, and were clearancing most of it. Nothing really pretty, or at a good price:( Maybe that means they're getting new in!:D

I was wondering if this would be good yarn to make socks with? i guess I'll have to buy some and find out! It is very pretty and comes in really nice colors.

I am really happy with my walmart's new selection. They carry quite a few Bernat Softee colors, now. They have a bunch of yarn on "clearance," but it isn't cheap enough for me to buy yet, I dont' think. They had a bunch of Bernat LuLu, I think it is called---super soft, but not sure what I would do with it.

Nicole

I saw that in Jo-Ann's...they had a leaflet/booklet which showed hat/purse type of things to be made with it. Very pretty yarn though!

Tempted but I just bought 8 skeins of Simply soft for a G Square afghan I'm making lol

Robin

I'm so glad I did a search on C'ville for Bernat Cool Crochet. (Isn't it nice to remember to do something in the right order?)

I just noticed this yarn this evening at the Walmart closes to me. It looks really nice, and comes in NEOPOLITAN COLORS. I noticed that it is 70% cotton and 30% nylon. I've never worked with those fiber proportions before. The skeins are 50 grams and 200 yards. So, with tax that's about $3.25 per skein. A tad pricey, but that's Bernat. It has a nice feel to it. All the colors seem to have a good bit of shimmer to them.

Anyone have trouble with it splitting? If it's as nice as Paton's Grace, that would indeed be nice.

I was wondering if this would be good yarn to make socks with? i guess I'll have to buy some and find out! It is very pretty and comes in really nice colors.

Nicole,

I thought the same thing when I saw the yarn ... Socks! Given the choice, I think I would pick other yarn, but the selection of sock yarns at local choices (WalMart, Micheals and JoAnn) is non-existant. You have got to order. If anyone does try it, I would love to know.

On the question of splitting, I would doubt very highly that it would. I was looking at it this evening and it isn't spun/plied... it appears to be knit! It really looks like a very thin I-cord, like you would make on a knitting spool or an EmbellishKnit. I'm not sure what difference this would make in crocheting, but it gave me pause and I've been mulling it over.

Nicole,

I thought the same thing when I saw the yarn ... Socks! Given the choice, I think I would pick other yarn, but the selection of sock yarns at local choices (WalMart, Micheals and JoAnn) is non-existant. You have got to order. If anyone does try it, I would love to know.

On the question of splitting, I would doubt very highly that it would. I was looking at it this evening and it isn't spun/plied... it appears to be knit! It really looks like a very thin I-cord, like you would make on a knitting spool or an EmbellishKnit. I'm not sure what difference this would make in crocheting, but it gave me pause and I've been mulling it over.

I totally agree about the selection of sock yarns at local places, that's why I thought maybe that yarn could be used for socks. I've never made socks before, but at least it is something I could try with. I am thinking they might be a bit slippery to walk on.

I might buy a couple skeins soon---I'll update if I do.

Nicole

well.. i got some yesterday and started up a cardigan for my daughter.

It doesn't split.. at least it hasn't for me... it drapes BEAUTIFULLY. However once worked up, it is not as soft as it feels when touching the skein (for some odd reason i have no idea why). I noticed while crocheting I smell something weird.. almost chemical like.. not sure if this is the nylon?

It is very easy to crochet with.. I am currently using an F hook... The sheen is definitely noticable- I like that a lot. The weird smell that seemes to come in spurts though is really annoying me...

I am not sure if a "summer/spring" cardigan is appropriate since the nylon seems to give it a slight "tough" feel (and it isn't tough at all, just more tough than when you feel the skein on the shelf before it is worked), but despite that it drapes beautifully (flexible- unlike normal nylon )...

The sheen I believe is due to the thin strand(s) of nylon in it (looks like clear / shiny plastic)- which I am also deducing makes it not be entirely soft when worked up... (stil soft nonetheless but not like baby acrylic like Bernat baby fingering or something)

the strands seem like they are woven.. not twisted which is probably why it doesn't split.

I plan to finish the cardigan today (I think) and will post a pic.. maybe tomorrow.. Anyway that is my opinion of it so far.. will let you all know how it goes as I progress...

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to Walmart this morning and splurged and bought 1 skein of the Neopolitan colors. I plan to make the hat on the label. I'll let you know how it works out. I, too felt it a bit pricey (3.47 plus tax) here in NJ.

Karen

I'm so glad I did a search on C'ville for Bernat Cool Crochet. (Isn't it nice to remember to do something in the right order?)

I just noticed this yarn this evening at the Walmart closes to me. It looks really nice, and comes in NEOPOLITAN COLORS. I noticed that it is 70% cotton and 30% nylon. I've never worked with those fiber proportions before. The skeins are 50 grams and 200 yards. So, with tax that's about $3.25 per skein. A tad pricey, but that's Bernat. It has a nice feel to it. All the colors seem to have a good bit of shimmer to them.

Anyone have trouble with it splitting? If it's as nice as Paton's Grace, that would indeed be nice.

I looked the colors up on the web site this morning after reading my bernat newsletter and they have it listed as 100% cotton on the site..... I emailed them to find out what is up with that. Etaria, please check your label and let me/us know what it says.

____

cindy

I noticed that it is 70% cotton and 30% nylon. I've never worked with those fiber proportions before. The skeins are 50 grams and 200 yards.

This info is from the labels on the skeins at the Walmart I sometimes shop at. Don't know if Bernat Cool Crochet is being sold with different fiber content in different places.

• 2 weeks later...

Etaria, I have noticed that there is a chemical odor on some colors (dark greens) for instance. Could that be the problem?

well.. i got some yesterday and started up a cardigan for my daughter.

It doesn't split.. at least it hasn't for me... it drapes BEAUTIFULLY. However once worked up, it is not as soft as it feels when touching the skein (for some odd reason i have no idea why). I noticed while crocheting I smell something weird.. almost chemical like.. not sure if this is the nylon?

I just finished the hat on the label. It works up really nice and the hat has a nice drape to it. I'll probably get at least one more hat out of this same skein. Our Walmart charges 3.47 a skein which for me is a bit pricey but once in awhile I do splurge for small items. It would probably make a really nice shawl. I used the neopolitan and by the time I was finished I wanted to go to the store and buy a half-gallon of neopolitan ice cream :-)

Barbara-

Well.. I don't think it was my yarn that smelled.. think it was actually now contruction or something going on that day that I didn't know about... because now I have worked up the entire cardigan and hat and they do not smell.. They worked up wonderfully.. I love the yarn... too bad it is too pricey for me to make more things with >< well.. maybe I will make another small thing with it!

Oh and mine is also 70% cotton and 30% nylon as well.. wonder if they ever fixed the site?

I emailed them about that, they responded:

Sorry for the inconvenience, the content should be as follows:

All Shades (161074)

Content: 70% Cotton - 30% Nylon

Put-up: 1.75 oz / 50 g, 3 Balls / Package

Length: 200 yd / 182 m

And they fixed the web site too

____

cindy

Archived