? about smelly yarn I bought

sfgwife

Question

I bought some off etsy. Love the color but it smells like vinegar and something (not sure what). Just not good. I smelled it when I opened the bag. Is there anyway I can get this out or should I just send it back? Thanks, NIkki

14 answers to this question

If you have, or can get you one of those rubbermaid or sterlite tubs with the snap on top, you can place the yarns inside, say from the middle and to one side. Then get you some activated charcoal and set in the other side. Snap the top on and leave it to sit for a while.

Activated Charcoal is the ever lovin best for all kinds of oders----it does the trick :D

If you check the pet section you might be able to find net bags with pumice stone in them. They work nearly as well as the activated charcoal.

I don't know how this would work with yarn, but Martha Stewart says that if you have a mega-smelly 'fridge (the power went off while you're on vacation and everything inside went very, very wrong), clean it out well, and fill every square inch with crumpled newspaper, shut it up and wait. It's a thought. :)

I get mine at a pet store. The one I use is called--- Activated Carbon by Aqua Teck.

click on to enlarge

th_ActivatedCarbon.jpg

I just place a small amount in a tiny bowl and set inside the tub and snap on the tub top. Just be really careful as to not disturb the tub so you will not get any on the yarn.

Hi Nikki......That yarn that you bought:yuck ......is it machine dryable? Does in come in the skeins like the worsted weight yarn? I wonder what would happen if you took the label off the yarn and put it in the dryer for a few minutes.....more like 15, with a fabric softener sheet on low or medium heat? If you are afraid to try it, and I wouldn't blame you, I would just take that yarn back to the store.

Daisy.

Daisy......... I bought it off of ETSY.com. It is also wool for socks so I can't dry it or it will felt. :( I will try the charcoal and see what happens.

Janet....... I thought about that but it really smells manky. Like I said a cross between vinegar and something I just don't know what the other something may be. I smelled it and had hubby smell it too cause sometimes I smell things that they don't (wonderful nose of mine and migraines). He smelled it too. But it didn't smell at all like ciggy smoke. I thought it may be the dye she used. I dunno sent her e-mail and asked.

I will go tomorrow and find the stuff and try ald let ya'll know how it turns out. Thanks for the help ladies! Nikki

Hi Nikki, again :D I hope it works out well for you. I wondered too, if it could be the dye of the yarn that is causing that odor?? Hmmm I just hope you will be able to solve that dilema without too much trouble.:think

Daisy.

I have read that when people dye pure wool, it smells like wet sheep. Folks often use vinegar to set the colors. So.. that's what you are probably smelling. Why not contact the seller and ask her for suggestions?

Joan

a friend bought me about (what seemed like) 100 skeins of Woolspun and they smelled of nicotine. I hung them on lines in the basement and in a week or two they were fine.

Yuk, if there's one smell I can't stand, it's vinegar. . . makes me retch.

Hope you can get the yarn smelling good.

I just recently purchesed some funky rank yarn :yuck from a wool show and couldn't stand to be near it so I took it outside and wrapped it loosely around the legs of our deck chairs then misted it lightly with febreze and let it dry in the sun the odor was totally gone wihtin hours:cheer you could give this a try good luck:hug

Store yarn with crumpled white paper towel....no ink to rub off; I store my coolers with a roll in side and I have never had a funky smell in them. fabreze is a fantastic product...I carry it to craft shows, I know it cleans out the stench in my son's room so its got to be powerful.

Archived