Nightmare projects

Has anyone else taken on a project that is turning out to be a nightmare?

I was asked to make a Christening gown, and the lady I am making it for has changed her mind on things so many times.

I thought it would be done in a nice and pretty acrylic baby yarn, but she insisted on thread. I found a nice compramise in the Red Heart Lustersheen so that the pattern would fit properly. The pattern was for baby yarn, so to use a thread meant to find out different gauges, etc and the proper hooks.

She wanted a long one, but didn't tell me how long until I got going on the skirt. It turned out to be almost 30 inches long from the bodice part.

She also wants rose shaped buttons for the back. I have looked in three stores so far and have been unsuccessful. I picked up three choices of the buttons I can find, a pearl shaped, a light pink heart shaped and a white pearlized heart shape.

I know this is an important day, but I don't think I will undergo a project like this again, without having all things in writing first.

Has anyone else had to deal with things like this?

And for my efforts, I made my price too low. I said $30 plus materials. My neighbors all have said I should charge at least $75 for it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

LInda:cheer

I am so very sorry you are going through that stress. Just think of it as a learning experience, I guess :think. Raise your price and have everything in writing before you start. I wish I could say something helpful, but I can't think of anything right now. I send you my good wishes for easier and nicer customers to come your way. I also send you a hug:hug.

Wow, what a time-consuming learning experience!

For what it's worth, I'll try to learn from this and make sure that if I take on a special project that I get it all in writing first! Long = 30+ inches?! YIKES! :eek

I feel bad for you. Sure sounds like you've been horribly ripped off in this instance. I'd have told the lady to find the stinking buttons herself if she had such a specific vision of them and told her when I needed them by.

This woman had better deeply appreciate what she's getting for a special item from you.

Sounds like the client is the nightmare, more than the project :eek . Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with anything like that.

I think my worst nightmare project was my first afghan. I did it in Homespun, which I wasn't used to working with. Also, it took 500 years to sew all the little squares together, and I had no concept at that time of the idea of leaving at least 4" in ends to weave in. With the first wash, all those little ends popped out. Thankfully, the afghan was just for us, so I just have it on the sofa with the "bad" side (and all the unsightly ends) hidden.

This has indeed been a nightmare for you!!:thair I would have told that lady to go buy a store bought christening set instead. Changing her mind so many times is unfair to you! You were making this gown for a special occasion and she should have been happy with your original design. Some people are just never satisfied...and that in itself is very frustrating.....a true living nightmare! Here's a hug to console you :hug I can't believe what you went through to satisfy her.....I would have given up long ago and made the orignal pattern to give to someone who would appreciate it. You must really have a heart of gold. I bet you kept your tongue in cheek many times....good thing you can vent here with us....your friends.:cheer

Daisy.

I would try to re-negotiate the deal... she has added a great deal of addtional work from when you initially agreed to do the gown. ... particularly since it is much longer than you anticipated. I wouldn't stress out over the buttons.. tell her you couldn't find roses, but the hearts ae adorable. Sending her to find the buttons might be a nightmare in itself, if she finds buttons that are the wrong size or type.

Good luck with... please post a picture of it when it's completed.

Joan

I would try to re-negotiate the deal... she has added a great deal of addtional work from when you initially agreed to do the gown. ... particularly since it is much longer than you anticipated. I wouldn't stress out over the buttons.. tell her you couldn't find roses, but the hearts ae adorable. Sending her to find the buttons might be a nightmare in itself, if she finds buttons that are the wrong size or type.

Good luck with... please post a picture of it when it's completed.

Joan

You are certainly right about the buttons. I am giving her the choice of the three I could find and leaving it at that. I have definately learned my lesson.

I would do another christening gown, with a higher price and written description of the product before I even started. :)

I feel better from the hugs and the good words. Thank you. By the way, she is a co-worker, so the price was low to begin with because we work together. I have learned my lessons well.

linda:cheer

I think crocheters get taken advantage of. Just because you're a co-worker, etc, etc.. How much would she have had to pay for a gown like that in the store? I think you should have charged way more! Especially after all the trouble it's turning out to be. Fair is fair.

I *almost* had a worse nightmare than that. My sister-in-law wanted me to crochet her a wedding dress. (She is very big.) Out of thread. I (stupidly) said yes! :irk Fortunately, she said she found another dress she liked. I was SOOO relieved, I regretted saying yes as I was saying it... :blush

I hope things will work out. Maybe you can explain to her that is a lot more work than you originally thought it would be, you didn't know it was going to be in thread, which is harder to work with, then the buttons, etc, etc... And how much would she have to pay for one in the store, this is handmade...:shrug

Tina

I *almost* had a worse nightmare than that. My sister-in-law wanted me to crochet her a wedding dress. (She is very big.) Out of thread. I (stupidly) said yes! :irk Fortunately, she said she found another dress she liked. I was SOOO relieved, I regretted saying yes as I was saying it... :blush

Tina

Wow. Non-crocheters have no clue how much work it is, do they? :no I'm a big woman and I hesitate to make myself a shawl out of chunky yarn, let alone a dress out of thread! :eek Thank heavens it worked out OK. :hug

You should casually mention to your coworker how long it takes to make different items. You might walk in one day, raving about a scarf you made that takes X hours. Once people realize how long it takes to make one item, they learn to appreciate it more. I know many of my friends were AMAZED to find out that it takes me at least 3 hours to make a simple, skinny scarf, and that I consider that a "quick" project.

I tried the hat on the baby, and the hat is behind her ears. She of course, wants it over her ears! So I am making another one. The pattern is in four rows and so I have to do another whole set of rows to get it the width she wants. And I just can't add to it because I had done a finishing set around the neck, and it will just look goofy if I add more rows to the top.

It is just a nightmare. Will someone please wake me UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

linda:angry

Yikes! How awful for you. :hug What should be a pleasure has turned into a nightmare and unfortunately you can't just set it aside for a while like any other crochet project you might get frustrated with.

You want us to edumacate the lady for you? :tryme:D;)

Am I just being overly upset with this project? Nothing is pleasing her. I am going to insist on a higher price for all the nonsense I have delt with. Never again will I take on a project like this without every single detail in writing. I am so frustrated with this. It is very pretty. I hope she realizes what I am going through.

Linda:yarn

When are you going to tell her you've raised your rates? Good luck. YOU CAN DO IT! :yes:hug

I think I will tell her that there is an extra $10 fee for the extra length and making the hat a second time. I will tell her tomorrow, if I don't chicken out.

I would be willing to do one of these for my own daughter's baby (in 10 years when she is married and expecting )but I don't think I will do one again for anyone else. I think she is just so critical about every aspect of this project.

It's a very lovely dress. I will be working on the hat tonight and then on the sleeves over the weekend and I hope to have it done by Monday or Tuesday, get paid and just forget about it. I have certainly learned some valuable lessons about this type of thing.

If anyone has the book, Beautiful Baby Boutique, it is in there under the title of "Lily of the Valley" pattern name. I have also seen the pattern on EBay. It is a great pattern. And a lot of work.

I will post a picture when it is done. And throw a party !!!:devil

love,

Linda:manyheart Thanks for letting me vent!!

I hope after all this that you're invited to the christening. And that you get the credit when people ooh and ahh over it to the mom. Can't wait to see the finished outfit.

I'm looking forward to the picture too. It sounds lovely.

You know those commercials they have going right now about how much certain things cost, and then they get to the punch line and say "Priceless". So here you could list the cost of all the items you bought for this project, the amount of time you spent hunting, shopping, and crocheting, frogging, and redoing, then you could list experience and newfound knowledge and put priceless.

Something to look forward to is in 10+ years from now when you crochet for your daughter's child, you will have the joy of knowing it is truly appreciated and will be handed down and kept in your family. That also is PRICELESS! :hug

How frustrating! You poor thing. I know how awkward it must be, the thought of renegotiating the price, but you have lots of reasons - she has changed this thing A LOT from what you originally agreed upon...

going from yarn to thread

specialized buttons

extra length

re-doing the hat

Does anyone remember a month or so ago when there was a christianing gown PATTERN on eBay that went for something over $70? It was photographed really well on one of those realilstic looking baby dolls, and it was gorgeous, but just a PATTERN!!!! It was INSANE.

You might even want to do a web search for some similar gowns done in crochet from some of the high-end stores (the only place you'd find something like this) and show her the prices (which I'm sure would be over $100) You really deserve to be compensated for your work.

$35 is ridiculously low for what this project has turned into!

I thought about how I was going to renegotiate the price. I found some pictures of other gowns on the internet, along with prices of $125 + and show them to her with a new price, plus a listing of all the materials I have spent. I am still giving her a bargain, but not taking a complete bath on it either.

Wish me luck! I need it!!!

Linda:clap

As a newbie to crochet, my very first project seems to be a nightmare. I'm just attempting a Round Pillow - single crochet in the round. That's it. But I am now on my Sixth Attempt. I'm actually using regular cotton twine from Home Depot and I discovered this morning that cotton twine doesn't all come from the same "dye lot." I tried adding in a grayish-white twine with black speckles (which I bought this weekend to supplement my project) to my 19 rounds of ecru twine with brown speckles. Yikes! Thus, my Sixth Attempt was born.

Kelli

Hi Kelli,

You just learned a lesson about dye lots without even trying. We all seem to learn things a little on the hard side sometimes.

Keep trying. Your project sounds unique. I love when people try something new.

Linda

Archived