Teaching Crochet?

I have inquired at our local adult learning centre about teaching crochet lessons. Most of their programs are 3-8 weeks (a lesson per week), and I was thinking that I would start with one month/4 lessons.

Does anyone have any suggestions for progressing through the crochet lessons? Vaguely, I was thinking to start with the basic concept of crochet and basic stitches, move through reading patterns and graphs, knowing stitch abbreviations, learning increasing and decreasing. Does this make sense or is it too much for a beginner class? I was also thinking about touching on felting and other exciting stuff.

Also, what is the deal with materials? Is it better to provide them and charge a fee? Or have them bring their own stuff? I thought that if I decide to work on a particular project (simple scarf, for example), it would be easier for me to choose the materials and I can choose stuff that would be easier to use, as well as getting appropriate hooks, etc.

AND...if anyone has any other useful ideas or tips or anything, please RESPOND.:eek

I used to teach at continuing ed in addition to teaching at Jo-Ann's, and I would do a 3-week class with the goal of completing something small. You're going to have a wide variety of skill levels, so I would plan for the middle ground, and scale back if you have a group that can't catch on as quick, but have more advanced content at the ready for those who take off. :)

I think it's easier to give them a list of supplies to bring, so they can select colors they like. It's a lot of investment to purchase and bring enough yarn for all students...

The first time I taught at cont ed, the project was a scarf, which included single and double crochet. For some reason, the class I had though that was too much. I didn't think it was... I've taught more involved projects at Jo-Ann's to beginners. So, the next time I planned a couple of dishcloths from kitchen cotton (one in single, one in double). That worked out better. When they finished that, they could make more, or select a pattern to move on to, and try to learn how to read a pattern. Some did move on to a pattern, some didn't.

It was very odd the difference in students between cont ed and Jo-Ann's... it was like two different kinds of clientele in the same town! The Jo-Ann students already had the "crafty vibe," I guess, and tended to pick things up quicker. I've talked to other people who teach in both venues in the area, and they made the same observation! One was a knitting teacher, the other a sewing teacher. Very strange.

Now I only teach at Jo-Ann's, but that's because they added a bunch of classes in all sorts of disciplines (not just crochet) that I teach, and I don't have room in my schedule for continuing ed anymore...

Short version: Be prepared for every kind of student, and be flexible. I always let the students dictate the pace of the class. ;)

I have just started teaching crochet at my church with about seven women and girls. Since it is my first go at teaching, I did not charge a cost for the class however, I picked up the supplies and did chage the cost for them. I think is works out much easier knowing what everyone is working. Much easier to go from one person to the next with questions when you are looking at very similar stitches and patterns. ;) Hope that helps. I also would recomend being flexible and understanding. I had two students that just were not understanding how to chain. Now that was not their fault and I had to come up with a way that made sence to them. Not everyone learns that same way. So just step back and come at it from another angle. Remember, "Where there's a will, there's a way!"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I recently took a sewing class, which may or may not help you by comparison...

It ran for four Tuesdays, 6-9 p.m. They charged $70 and we still had to buy all the supplies (except they provided the sewing machines and the patterns). There were 7 of us in the class and four of us thought the pace was a bit slow. We made one pair of pants and one throw pillow.

In my opinion, we should have made the pillow first because it was easier, could be completed in one class, and would boost our confidence. The pants were difficult and very time consuming. If we had done the pillow first it would have helped us with the pants.

So I guess my advice would be, do something very easy for the first project, and then have two or three other ideas ready to go so you can respond to the group as a whole.

When I teach English, we generally write the same number of essays every semester, but how we get there is always different depending on who's in the room, you know?

Anyway, hope this helps!

Raquel

I volunteer with a group home of teenage boys and teach them crochet as a therapy to concentrate and relax. (God has a sense of humor to put me in that spot, because I would never in a million years thought that this would be something for me - but it is).

I start with finger crochet, to have the kids feel where the yarn is coming from and feel the tension. Most pick up a hook right away.

My most difficult area is teaching them how to hold the yarn, and they come up with ways that work for them, unlike anything you may see in the books.

I offer worsted yarns first and lots of colors, and it is amazing how many boys have already learned crochet and knit before I see them.

I produce swatches of stitches showing different textures and patterns, and they want to try it all. They aren't big on reading crochet directions, but seem to figure it out better than girls I have taught.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately the organization I was going to pitch this to has folded. But I'm considering offering crochet classes myself over the summer. I'll advertise in the paper or make up flyers to post around (laundromats, etc). I work for the school board, so the extra income over July and August would be helpful.

Thanks again.

Monica

Archived