Wanting to write a pattern... help!

TianaKaeSha

I have been asked to write out my pattern for my longies on a nappy board and though I will write them out in laymans terms, I was thinking of doing a "proper" pattern for those who would understand one...

How would I go about this? I know some basic terms and such.... but I am sure that there are some things I do that have proper names, but I do not know them..

In my pattern for instance I use only single crochet (I think.... hook into chain, loop thread, pull through hole, loop fabric, pull through both holes, repeat)...?

then in part of it I do two of those stitches.. chain two/skip two chain and then SC in the third chain.... is this just that...? or is there a particular word for it?

My pattern is not going to be too technical, but I want it to be good LOL! Any help gratefully appreciated with hugs and kisses!

:cheer It will depend on which market you are aiming your pattern at.

In the US they use SS = Slip Stitch, SC = Single Crochet, HDC= Half Double Crochet, DC = Double Crochet, TR = Treble, CH = Chain.

We would use SS = Slip Stitch, DC = Double Crochet, HTR = Half Treble, TR = Treble, DTR = Double Treble, CH = Chain.

The way you described what you do, sounds fine.

If you want to write it out and send it to me, I could have a go at making a pair of the pants, and then you would know if the pattern works.

Others would be prepared to do the same for you, I am sure.

I know your pattern would be safe with me as I have no interest in copying someone elses pattern.

My e-mail address is in my profile if you would like to get in touch.

Colleen.:hug

PS, I have a pattern for knitted Pilchers which are very easy to make and the shape could be very easily copied into crochet.

I think it is Cloth Nappy week at the moment in NZ so it is very appropriate that you are talking about these now.

:cheer It will depend on which market you are aiming your pattern at.

In the US they use SS = Slip Stitch, SC = Single Crochet, HDC= Half Double Crochet, DC = Double Crochet, TR = Treble, CH = Chain.

We would use SS = Slip Stitch, DC = Double Crochet, HTR = Half Treble, TR = Treble, DTR = Double Treble, CH = Chain.

The way you described what you do, sounds fine.

If you want to write it out and send it to me, I could have a go at making a pair of the pants, and then you would know if the pattern works.

Others would be prepared to do the same for you, I am sure.

I know your pattern would be safe with me as I have no interest in copying someone elses pattern.

My e-mail address is in my profile if you would like to get in touch.

PS, I have a pattern for knitted Pilchers which are very easy to make and the shape could be very easily copied into crochet.

I think it is Cloth Nappy week at the moment in NZ so it is very appropriate that you are talking about these now.

Real Nappy Week is 24th - 30th of April :) It is an international festival of Cloth Nappiers! The NZ crew are hooked up with the Downunder crew I believe...

I have written the pattern out and I will send you the information :) Hopefully you can make heads or tails of it... I have published it to a nappy group too and will see if they understand it... I still want to make it for other people who understand crochet patterns LOL!!

Thankyou for your help!

Kristie

Real Nappy Week is 24th - 30th of April :) It is an international festival of Cloth Nappiers!

:laughroll :laughroll :laughroll Sorry...:blush It just sounded funny to me...

:cheer Well, I did give the pattern a go but because I did not have a picture or at least a drawing of the shapes of the pieces, I had a bit of a problem after the crotch piece.

Maybe a diagram with where each measurement goes so anyone doing the pattern can write in the numbers and see exactly where they are going.

:cheer Your wording, up to that point, was not in the traditional manner but was understandable but there was probably a bit much explanation after that so this is also where a diagram would be good.

:cheer I am sure that with a little tweeking it will be fine

:cheer Let me know if you can do a diagram and I will have another go at it for you.

:cheer The last thing is the hook sizing. I guess you meant 4mm & 5mm which are different to 4 & 5. I know that 4mm goes with the weight of yarn you are using but you need to put in the details for the people who dont.

:cheer Good luck with it.

Have fun.

:cheer Yes, a little different way of describing but I worked that bit OK.

:cheer It may have just been me not reading properly when I looked at the rest of the pattern. Sometimes I think you can have a bit too much knowlege and so think you know what to do but you dont.

:cheer Does that make sense?

Keep at it because they are very cute.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

The basic drift of the next bit is that now you have two leg holes. You need to crohet in the round down for one leg and near the bottom each row increases by 4 stitches evenly spaced around the round to create the flare.

(I used the 6 bottom rounds)

it makes sense to me because I just make them over and over LOL

:cheer Yes, I could work out the leg but the Crotch join had me stumped.

Like I said, I was probably not reading it thoroughly enough. Sometimes you need to go ack and look again so I will do that tonight. I will prinyt off the new version.

:cheer It also did not help that I did not have a baby to measure so you need to overcome that too because there is no way I am having another baby just so I can measure pants. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

What a miracle that would be at my age.

:cheer What I really mean is that if a Grandma wants to make them before a baby arrives, some measurements would be good to give a bit of an idea.

:cheer Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Mmm..

With the crotch joining, I was trying to convey that you needed to find the middle point on the opposite side to the crotch, and then slip stitch join...? I don't know how to write that though... ?

I'll get some measurements happening LOL...

Tara is 40 cm around the waist 32 from waist to ankle, and I do about 15cm for the body of the soaker... (to the top of the thigh...

she is 5months... if this helps anyone...

*bows down* thankyou for your time and patience!

Archived