crochet in the round and keeping flat

sandyrepope

Question

I have several yarmulke patterns and they all call for the project to lay flat. My attempts at getting anything done in the round to lay flat fail.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping these things laying flat? I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

12 answers to this question

:cheer It is all in starting with the correct number of stitches in the first round, then getting the increasing right. If you have, even one stitch not enough, it will make a big difference to the shape of the piece.

:cheer What stitch are you doing?

:cheer What size yarn or thread are you using?

:cheer Let us know if you need more help.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

The pattern I'm trying to follow is the one by Ruth W at http://www.crochetpartners.org/Patterns/CPpat123.html

I'm trying it with worsted yarn. It calls for a size 10 or 11 hook but I'm not sure just what size this is so I've been trying it with a G hook.

I've been getting the stitch count exactly as the pattern says so I think it might be something I'm not getting right.

Thanks

The pattern I'm trying to follow is the one by Ruth W at www.crochetpartners.org/Patterns/CPpat123.html

I'm trying it with worsted yarn. It calls for a size 10 or 11 hook but I'm not sure just what size this is so I've been trying it with a G hook.

I've been getting the stitch count exactly as the pattern says so I think it might be something I'm not getting right.

Thanks

Hi Sandy

This pattern (it's at http://www.crochetpartners.org/PatternLibrary/CPpat123.html by the way) seems to be for thread; it calls for DMC cotton #8, which would make the hook size you need about 1.0mm-1.25mm. (The "old" size 10 in the yarn hook range is a J/6mm, but there's no way you'd be using that with a #8 cotton!)

Sorry, but I really don't think you're going to be able to follow this pattern successfully using worsted weight yarn. You'd be much better off finding a pattern that uses it than trying to adapt this one.

I have several yarmulke patterns and they all call for the project to lay flat. My attempts at getting anything done in the round to lay flat fail.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping these things laying flat? I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

A basic formula would be to crochet 'X'# of stitches in a starting ring. Next round, crochet 2 stitches in each st. from previous round. Round 3, put 2 stitches in every other stitch around. Round 4 put 2 stitches in every third stitch around. Continue this way increasing distance between st increases.

I would think that a yamulke should have a slight curve in it to fit the top of the head.

Joan

:cheer I have just tried a bit of the pattern, using DK Acrylic yarn and it seems to be fine.

Are you keeping up the increases on every row?

If you keep doing the 6 increases on each row, until it is as wide as you need it to be, it will not matter what yarn you use as long as you use the hook size to match the yarn.

I did 6 rounds before my bit of yarn ran out and the piece is about 2 1/2 or 3 inches wide.

Hope this is helpful.

I have a good bit of difficulty crocheting in the round as well. I know what you're saying. I know for me it isn't the pattern, it's my stitches or something... user error at any rate. I've started making "practice circles" to see if a different tecnique, ie looser stitches, will make a difference. I think I just crochet crooked...lol. I just keep practicing!

This may be a little difficult to explain, but I hate counting stitches, so here's my technique for making sure things lay flat. Every stitch should be approximately at right angles to the previous row (standing straight up). Look at your last stitch. Assuming you're right handed, if it's leaning far to the right, it's time for an increase. If it's just leaning slightly, you will probably need to increase in the next stitch.

I do a lot of freeform crochet, where counting is useless, and got tired of frogging back to where things started bunching up, so this is how I worked it out.

For the projects that I've done, you usually have to increase in the same position. I just look at the row below and see where the last increase was done. I then increase into the last stitch that was part of the increase on the last row. So if I increase by 2, on the next row, I would put 2 stitches in the 2nd stitch of hte increase on the previous row.

I was talking to someone in the coffee shop downtown and she suggested that maybe I've been crocheting my stitches too tightly and that I should try making the stitches looser. She also suggested that I try using a slightly larger hook.

Could my tension be the problem?

Thanks

:cheer Could easily be the hook size.

:cheer

Hook size needs to match the yarn.

Most yarns have a wrapper or label which has a recommended knitting needle size for the correct tension so just use that size hook.

Double Knit (8ply) is usually worked on a 4mm (old English 8) to get the correct tension.

The best way to see if the hook is too small is to try a larger hook. You should, then, have to do less rows to get the size you want.

Good luck.

:thinkI also have that problem when I first start a doily. I have to use loose stitches and/or a larger hook. I seems to be in the first few rows that this happens. After then, I guess I just loosen up on my stitches and the rest of the project goes fine.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I've now gotten past the problem I was having. I switched to a larger hook and as soon as I started using loose stitches the project started behaving. It was my tight stitches that was causing it to warp and not lay flat.

Now all I need is to practice and all my round crochet will turn out like it should.

Thanks

Archived