SC - I think I hate it!

this week I made several stuffed animals for charity. They're all SC because they have to be tight to keep the stuffing in. I thought I would go nuts! A whole project of SC was making me crazy. I've been doing a lot of sweaters and textured pattern stuff lately, and doing so much single crochet was BORING!

The animals came out cute, though, and I hope they'll make some little kid smile. :)

I'm with you worm. I hate SC's! I can do HDC and DC's faster than SC's! When a bunch of us did the FCEC Felted Tote many of us went bonkers. Doing 52 rounds of nothing but SC's tends to do that to you!

I'm like you are. I love a challenging project now and then, but for the most part give me a couple stitches or an easy to remember repeat. Sometimes it's nice to just let your mind wander and relax, or watch tv while you work. I think that stems from the fact that when I started crocheting I did nothing but afghans for a long time...lol.

I actually really love it Call me nuts but sometimes I need simple non thinking projects & since I love making toys I won't make them out of anything else.

I'ld love to see the pics. The animals are so cute to make, but I lose patience with counting endless SCs.

I really enjoyed doing a baby blanket with crazy stitch - that was an easy pattern to repeat, but it went fast and didn't get boring.

Sc's are a refreshing no-brainer once in a while. But I guess if you had to do it over and over... The thing with me and making the tight sc's (like for amigurumi) is, it KILLS my fingers! My pointer finger on my left hand (the one I hold the yarn with) looks like I have arthiritis, the knuckle gets so swollen. (I probably do have it.) I have to take a break for a while. I would love to see your toys, too, though. And I'm sure they will make some child smile. :hook

Tina

I'ld love to see the pics. The animals are so cute to make, but I lose patience with counting endless SCs.

I really enjoyed doing a baby blanket with crazy stitch - that was an easy pattern to repeat, but it went fast and didn't get boring.

okay, now explain 'crazy stitch'. is it something the crochet challenged could do? i'm still intimidated by patterns. if i look more than one stitch ahead on the pattern, it looks soooo confusing. i have to go '1 stitch at a time'. but, once i get it down, i can whiz along pretty quick. probably why i've done lapghans and not afghans(up til now).

okay, now explain 'crazy stitch'. is it something the crochet challenged could do? i'm still intimidated by patterns. if i look more than one stitch ahead on the pattern, it looks soooo confusing. i have to go '1 stitch at a time'. but, once i get it down, i can whiz along pretty quick. probably why i've done lapghans and not afghans(up til now).

Crazy stitch has lots of names - crazy stitch, crazy shell, slant stitch. It's easy. I found instructions here but the pattern I used used triples - not doubles. After the first row its so easy!

basically its a pattern of sc, chain 3, two triples (or doubles)

and it looks so pretty and fancy!

cool!:yay something else to try. i looked at the the pictures on the site and i really liked the rosey pink and light brown together. i would have never thought of putting those 2 colors together. thanks for the info.:hook

I'm feeling your pain too! In progress for the Ripple-Along I have a sc rippleghan with 240 sc's per row...6 inches down, 54+ inches to go! :eek It's totally the kind of thing I'm going to pick up and put down a bunch of times.

Sometimes a plain sc item is nice (like when you don't want to be looking at a pattern all the time) but yeah, sometimes it drives you bonkers. :thair

What's crazy stitch? LOVE :manyheartnew stitches I don't know!

I hate endless SCs, too, but now all my UFOs are at the point where I have to THINK about them, and that sure cuts down on the places (like EVERYWHERE) that I crochet.

Heh, well, I like it. . .

To me there's something comforting about a row of sc's; it's like eating a plate of mashed potatoes or wallowing in a nice hot bath :laughroll

[freudian]Perhaps it's something to do with it being the first stitch I learned [/freudian]

Can I ask the toymaking experts a question? I'm thinking of making my first one and am paranoid about the stuffing showing through. How much smaller a hook than normal do you use to avoid this?

Heh, well, I like it. . .

To me there's something comforting about a row of sc's; it's like eating a plate of mashed potatoes or wallowing in a nice hot bath :laughroll

[freudian]Perhaps it's something to do with it being the first stitch I learned [/freudian]

Can I ask the toymaking experts a question? I'm thinking of making my first one and am paranoid about the stuffing showing through. How much smaller a hook than normal do you use to avoid this?

I usually go 1 size down. You just need to do a little test & see what works for you.

SC is slower, but sometimes you have to endure it on some patterns that need that tighter weave. I try to avoid it, but I did an ABC baby blanket that had the sc all through it, along with puffs that was really cute when done. The things we do for our craft! :lol

Hello :) I am new here

I have a tip for you to get some variation in your SC projects.

Do one round in a second color 1sc, 1ch and skip 1 st and repeat, and the next round in the original color 1sc, 1dc in the skipped st from the previous round and repeat. I used it in a bunny I made, click the link.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=HULQ4CZE

Hope you like it!

Greetz

Dortya

Dortya, he's sooooo cute! Thanks for sharing!

Worm- I like that stitch, easy but doesn't look like it...to the untrianed eye anyway! LOL! Thanks for the link.

I understand what you mean about hating SC. I am currently working on afelted bag and it's all done in SC. I only have about 4" inches done.I have about 9" more to go. UGH! Good thing about it though is I get to use a Size P hook that does make the work go a little faster.

Thanks, Dortya! That's a great idea! Probably adds some interesting texture and not so tedious! And that bunny is really cute.

I started working on another baby sweater last night that alternates stitches by row, and that was so much more fun for me, but I will try your suggestion for the next stuffed animal on my list - I want to do the LuLu bear!

Great idea!! Thanks for sharing!

I have SOOO much respect for all of you who do large and complicated projects! I like trying new stitches and challenging myself with new designs, but maybe I need more patience. I like instant gratification. I've only made one adult sized afghan, and I made it with squares - it came out beautiful, and it wasn't bad because all the squares were different colors and I got to "complete" the squares as I went. I can't seem to work on projects that take more than a few hours to a few days to complete. I can pop out a few chemo caps in one evening, but when I do a sc hat, it takes more than one evening. A baby sweater can be done in 1-2 nights, but large projects take so long and I don't have patience. I hate that I'm like this. I think I should find a large project that I want to try, and start it, breaking it up with small projects so I don't get bored or frustrated.

Archived