Hairpin Lace ~ How hard is it?

donnalynn2

After getting the new issue of Interweave Knits Crochet I have stopped and stared at this pattern several times. It's just beautiful but it's hairpin lace and I'm wondering since I've never done hairpin lace before if this is too ambitious.

Has anyone else got experience with hairpin lace? Any suggestions? Is it easy to pick up, or difficult? Thanks!

That's a great question? I was looking at those patterns too (especially the skirt) and was thinking how gorgeous they were. But...it looks so...I don't know...pernickety (as my grandmother would say). All those little loops to attach; it looks worse that assembly 4" motifs in a queen sized afghan!!!?

And where in God's name am I supposed to find the hairpin loom. I was thinking of downloading some photos and seeing if my dad could make one, but he doesn't have a drill press.

Has anyone tried it?

Hairpin lace is easy and fun. It really is simple to do and the connecting is simple also. I am so glad to see it making a comeback. I dug out my forks the other day and am thinking about doing something with them. They used to range in size from a 1/4 inch to 3 inch wide. I have a couple spares of the larger ones if you cant' find them any where else. They are also fairly easy to make. Me, I of course prefer the smaller thread size ones I have done edgings, chokers and doilies with this method. I find it very relaxing to do.

Hairpin Lace is amazingly easy (once you get the hang of it) but the results look very complex. I LOVE it. I got my loom about a week and a half ago and I've already made 3 scarves and a belt. Two of the scarves are for my scarf swap partner so I can't show them yet. But I'll try to take a picture of the one I finished last night... probably not till tomorrow 'cuz of no time :)

Joan

Well three times a charm. I'm new to this forum and joined so I could find help with Hairpin Lace. Thanks Yammy for your site, it did help me out but I'm still confused on my pattern.

I'm currently making the following pattern:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/dagmar/dagmar.html

You will notice it calls for 5 hanks and you make 6 strips of 228 loops. Is that 114 loops on each side? I just checked my strip at 114 loops and it measures 51", the length of the project is 64". Also, I'm almost through with one hank. I know switch to a smaller needle but I'm still at a loss of 228 loops on each side (I guess it matters what your definition of a loop is) or 114 loops on each side? Yammy defined her stitch (thanks). I haven't read a pattern like this before so help is greatly appreciated.

Email me privately at (please do not post email address on public board!) if its too much discussion on the forum.

Julie

After getting the new issue of Interweave Knits Crochet I have stopped and stared at this pattern several times. It's just beautiful but it's hairpin lace and I'm wondering since I've never done hairpin lace before if this is too ambitious.

Has anyone else got experience with hairpin lace? Any suggestions? Is it easy to pick up, or difficult? Thanks!

Thanks for that link! It's gorgeous! I've done hairpin lace before and found it fairly simple... I'm adding that to my to-do list (which is too long already!!) :)

Well three times a charm. I'm new to this forum and joined so I could find help with Hairpin Lace. Thanks Yammy for your site, it did help me out but I'm still confused on my pattern.

I'm currently making the following pattern:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/dagmar/dagmar.html

You will notice it calls for 5 hanks and you make 6 strips of 228 loops. Is that 114 loops on each side? I just checked my strip at 114 loops and it measures 51", the length of the project is 64". Also, I'm almost through with one hank. I know switch to a smaller needle but I'm still at a loss of 228 loops on each side (I guess it matters what your definition of a loop is) or 114 loops on each side? Yammy defined her stitch (thanks). I haven't read a pattern like this before so help is greatly appreciated.

Email me privately at (please do not post email address on public board) if its too much discussion on the forum.

Julie

I also think it's 228 loops on each side. I usually do until I have a bit more than 50... I then put a stitch marker every 50 loops... helps me keep track without having to count them all each time.

Here is an excellent tutorial:

http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=73

Be sure to read all the hints. Using some scrap yarn as a guide under the loops (as you go) really helps keep stuff straight when attaching the strips.

The pattern you are working on is gorgeous!

Joan

Archived