What is a Crochet-Along ?

JulieKay

I just joined this today and am really excited about it.

:jumpyay I would like to try the rose cathedral window crochet along. Is it still in progress? I understand from reading several places the pattern is not easy to find. I hope I will be able to join and work this beautiful pattern. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Shirley -

I haven't been in the Cathedral CAL , so I'm not sure if there are still people working on it . Your best bet would be to either post in there and ask or contact the lady who first started it to see if it is still ongoing.

I think the pattern was pretty hard to locate , but maybe someone in there could point you in the right direction. I think some of the ladies found theirs on ebay .

Good luck and welcome to the CAL area-- the most fun place of all ( in my opinion .) :lol

Hi Debbie

Welcome to the 'ville. I bet you thought you hit the jackpot when you found this place ! I've been here for about 2 years now and it's the best online crochet group I have ever found.

Something here for everyone !

Anyhow, as far as your question goes, to find new CAL's , just click on the CAL area and you can read down through all of the ones that are currently active ( the ones with new posts will be in bold print ).

I don't currently know of any brand new ones that just started in the past day or two, but they start up often and most of them that I am familiar with have an open door policy , so anyone can jump in at any time .

Just pick one that looks like one you might enjoy, go in and post, and grab your hook and yarn .

Have fun and if you have any more questions, just holler . :)

• 11 months later...

i'm really enjoying the crochetville community and browsed thru some of the cal's this evening. and i am joining a few, i never did anything like this before. a few weeks ago, i'd joined some yahoo groups, but haven't participated in a cal, swap/exchange, etc. i've always given most of what i make as gifts to particular people or to charity. so i'm actually going to do something for me...and for christmas for others...and...grins, debra

Hi Debra

Yep, the 'ville is the best crochet site on the internet -- enjoy yourself. I think you'll have a blast in ANY of the CAL's -- they are all lots of fun .

We're glad to have you aboard with us.

This is a super nice group of ladies . :)

• 4 months later...

Just found this site from Lionbrands Crochet thingy and thought I was an intermediate crocheter but have decided I'm still a beginner! There is so much I know about crocheting bu have found out there is a lot more I don't know! This is so cool! Whoops dating myself there, guess things aren't cool anymore! OHwell whatever the term is that's what this site is ;o)

Welcome, Debbie !

I'm sure you'll find lots of "neato" stuff here to occupy your time . And there's room for any level of crocheter, so don't feel that you won't be able to keep up if you're a beginner .

( PS- Don't feel bad, I'm dating myself here too ... I think there's a pretty big number of us in the COOL generation in here )

• 1 year later...

I have given myself what might be considered a masterwork project, except for the simplicity of it. I am crocheting granny squares with size 10 thread... and embroidery floss... and sometimes combining size 20 and size 30 thread. anything i can get for free :D The squares are 3 rounds each. Less than 2 in across. In fact, 3 stitched together is about 5 inches across. I am making one big bed spread that is 60 x 60 or 3,600 squares. I am now less than 700 squares away from being done. I mix what I call "neutral" colors (white, off-white, ecru, etc) with bold colors in a ratio. There is also a "border" of 3 squares of just neutral colors. It's heavy and pretty, and i'm already using it between blankets to keep warm. It's been 3 years in the making. I'm hoping to be done by my birthday (April 5th)

• 3 months later...

Okay ~ I think I messed up and hit the wrong button . . . so I don't know if my last post got sent, or just lost ~ :D Duh!

Anyway . . . TailKinker ~ I was just saying how awesome I thought your afghan/blanket is going to be. I hope you plan to post a picture of it. I've done some small stuff, crocheting with embroidery floss, like applique's, but nothing as big as what you're doing! :D I'm sure it'll be beautiful, tho.

• 2 years later...

I have been working a large granny blanket from all my left over yarn, would to qualify as CAL. If so I would love to join and make new friends as well as post my process?

• 1 month later...
I have been working a large granny blanket from all my left over yarn, would to qualify as CAL. If so I would love to join and make new friends as well as post my process?

You could join the Stashbusting CAL. You just crochet whatever you want and post your progress. You get 2 points for every skein you use up and 1 point for every ball you use up. You lose 2 points for every skein you aquire and 1 point for every ball you aquire. You can post about whatever all week and then on Saturday you post (Week to Date) WTD and your score and (Year to Date) YTD and your score.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Can I ask, I know posting full patterns on the site isn't allowed for obvious reasons. If I wanted to use a pattern that isn't readily available to purchase (for example is in a book that I have that is part of a monthly subscription), could I PM it to members who wanted to join the CAL? Or would I need to ensure that the pattern being used is readily available for everyone to purchase?

You would need to ensure the pattern was readily available as copying a pattern and sending it to others is in violation of copyright and therefore against Crochetville's guidelines.