What is a Crochet-Along ?

JulieKay

A CrochetAlong is one of the many great reasons to be a member of Crochetville.

It usually starts with someone coming up with an idea for an item to crochet that may take a lot of time or patience. It may involve several different stitches, or it may be a fairly simple pattern. There are really no limits to the ideas you could use. It may be a requirement that everyone involved makes an afghan of the same type pattern, but you can each come up with your own color arrangements, etc, so that everyone is working on the exact same pattern, but each afghan will come out as differently as each personality in the group.

It is a great way to share your love of crochet, your talent and advice . It is also a great place to meet new people from all over the world!

To join, it's as simple as a click of the mouse. Just choose the group that sounds interesting to you . Click on Reply, and post a little something about yourself, what pattern you want to use and colors, etc .

To make a Crochetalong more fun and successful, it's nice if you come in and post frequently on your progress. It will also keep you motivated to finish your item, because we all become "cheerleaders" for each other .

It makes crocheting a lot of fun when you join these groups. There is most usually no deadline to meet, no date you must sign up by, etc.

The rules are usually very open-ended. Start when you want ... finish when you want. It's best, though, if once you sign up, you try to continue with the project on a steady basis so that you can get THAT project done and be ready to move on to a new one.

New Crochetalongs open up often, so you may want to get one done so that you can join in on another one. There is no restriction on signing up for more than one at a time, either. If you feel that you can juggle more than one , go for it!

There is only one negative thing that I have found about these groups. They are HIGHLY addicting. Once you complete one, you'll immediately want to start another. (They are kinda like that old potato chip commercial: No one can eat just one.) If you join one crochetalong, I can almost guarantee, that you'll want to do another!

Come on in and join one today. EVERYONE is welcome. No level of experience is required. Need help? We're here.

Just remember about the potato chips! :lol

SPECIAL NOTE FROM ADMIN:

TYPES of CALs

CALs are usually started so members can work on a particular project together. As the CAL progresses, friendships develop and people start discussing more and more details from their personal lives. As a result, some CAL threads can get very, very long. Most people seem to really enjoy this aspect of CALs!

However, we also realize that some people would prefer to start and participate in a CAL that remains more strictly focused on the actual project. If you want to start a CAL like this, please be sure to include the words "Project CAL" at the start of your thread title. This will give potential participants an advance warning that you want the CAL you are starting to remain a project-focused CAL.

Of course, if you (and the group) change your mind as the CAL progresses, your project CAL can become a "life support" CAL at any time. Just edit your thread title and remove the words "Project CAL" from the thread title. Life support CALs may involve discussion of subjects that are a bit more adult in nature and not appropriate for little children: topics such as abuse issues, divorce and child custody issues, infidelity, women's health issues, struggles with depression, etc. Crochetville's general guidelines are all still in place (no cussing, no sexual discussions, no political discussion/debate, no religious debate, etc.).

Also, please remember that the Crochet-Along folder can be viewed by guests to our site. It is also indexable by search engines. This means that, depending on the topics being discussed in the CAL, the CAL thread could come up in a search engine result for something unrelated to crochet. If you've given too much information about a personal situation, this means that someone from your real life who was trying to come up with information about you could end up coming across this thread.

"Life support" CALs quickly end up feeling as if you're in a private living room talking with only your closest friends. However, please remember that your private conversation really isn't private: there are all sorts of people who may be reading what is going on. You'll never know just who else might be privy to your private conversation, either other registered Crochetville members, visitors who came for the crochet content, or visitors who came because of some of the non-crochet-content being discussed.

It's best ,though , if once you sign up, you try to continue with the project on a steady basis so that you can get THAT project done and be ready to move on to a new one .

New Crochetalongs open up often , so you may want to get one done so that you can join in on another one . There is no restriction on signing up for more than one at a time, either. If you feel that you can juggle more than one , go for it !

Ha ha... the truth is, you get sucked in and swept along and before you know it, you've got a pile of WIPS around your sewing chair!

Right now, I'm working on the Lace 35 Grannys Quilt Block! :laughroll :laughroll :laughroll:rofl :rofl :rofl

Julie... you always seemed so sweet... but I know what evil lurks beneath your exterior! :devil

Qmare, I just have to see the ghan you come up with, combining those CAL's! It'll either be hysterical, historical, or both :rofl. Thanks for the word picture!

.... Right now, I'm working on the Lace 35 Grannys Quilt Block! ....

• 1 month later...

I Am At This Very Moment Holding My Sleeping Flea Allergy Cat Pushkin In One Hand And Hen-pecking This Post w the other. I Would Love 2 Join

Cal And Plan 2 When I Finis All These Other Projects i have going on. But Alas, There Is A Shrug Along Waiting ,hidden In The Mist 4 Me. Blush!!!!!!!!

i do have 63 squares not joined. does this count as a CAL OFany kind ?

.....I do have 63 squares not joined. does this count as a CAL OFany kind ?....
Of course! You're qualified for not one, but two CALs (and maybe three, depending on how you look at it): The Crocheters against UFOs CAL, The 63 Squares CAL, and (probably) The 63 Wannabe Club. Depend on it, if you've got a WIP, there's probably a crochet along doing something like it!

• 3 months later...

Hello, new here from Michigan! What is the language you guys speak??? What is "CALs"? Crochet-Alongs?? I'm trying to figure all this out so I can decide where to start!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Cranky

I think they had a new one awhile back for newbies- I'm not real sure about it or even what they were working on, but it should be listed on the list of CAL's .

The one big granny afghan is real simple-- they are an ongoing group and you can jump into that now- it's still pretty active .

You are welcome to join any of them -if you get stuck, holler. Someone will help you out. It's a nice group of people here .:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Now that I know what is crochetalong, I think it is great fun to do something together. Just imagine that what you are doing someone else is also doing somewhere in the world and you can see their progress and also the colours. What a great idea. (HATS OFF TO WHOEVER THOUGHT OF THIS) I wish I could take part but unfortunately at this moment it is not possiple as I cannot yet upload pictures of my work, also the internet connection that I have is slow and sometimes very difficult to connect. I live in a small town in India. I have joined the granny square exchange that itself is going to be a challenge. Doing crochet is easy but sending and recieving is what I am a little worried about. Hoping for the best and also hope to join one of the crochet alongs very soon.

:) Sandhya

Hi Sandhya

Welcome ! I'm glad you joined up with the granny exchange and wish you lots of luck and fun with it .

We'd love to see you take part in a crochetalong whenever you find one that you'd like to do . It's ok if you don't have a camera -- some of the other people don't either, but they still take part in the group and work along with us .

Hope you enjoy your time here ! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I hope someone can point me in the right direction of a group for me...? There are so many I dont know which is for me. Are they by states or projects? I am now working on a couch blanket for e-bay. Any suggestions? :think

Jadzia, the first post in any CAL thread usually privides all the information you need, including links to patterns, etc. If you see one that piques your interest, just scroll through the thread to read what others are doing, what colors and yarns, etc., and if you're interested, join up by simply posting a message in the thread. Super simple! And you don't need to post photos. Of course, we all love seeing what each other is doing, but really we just do it for the companionship and, for me, so that I can get help when I get stuck with a problem! :lol Jump in! Patty

Hi Linda

No, not really .It depends a lot on which one you are interested in, but any of the ones that are highlighted when you go to the main CAL page are all pretty active and have recent posts, so whichever one strikes your fancy . There are LOTS of different ones to choose from right now.

Good luck !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can pick more than one. I am actually in a few. I don't like to do just one project at a time because that leads to boredom for me. I like to be able to switch between projects. Quite a few people have many projects going at once.

Have fun!